Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15 Windows
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
happydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: 15 Windows Reply with quote

With all the neg SOTO threads that seem to be taking over I thought I would post a positive one about 15 window buses. I got mine a little over a month ago is a total pos not even being close to street legal yet but still I can't help being in love with it. Just pictureing the final result and going on the first ride I can't wait. Not to be exclusive or anything but is there anyone else out there with a 15 window that feels the same way? It just seems like there aren't that many 15's out there, but of course I do live in Ohio but still rarely are they for sale on the samba and when they are they sure don't last long. Kinda curious what you guys have to say about the subject.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 Windows are cool. The problem is, they got roof clips back when everyone wanted 23 windows. Now to find a 15 window is something special. I drove my '62 15 window down to the San Jose show in '97 after getting an engine in it the night before....got to love the corner windows.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, corner window deluxes are much sexier then their sunroof counterparts. I've never had the opportunity to own one, but if I did I'm sure I'd like it. Good luck getting that bus back on the road....it should be a fun time.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that's it clara your busted. I know greg would never describe a bus as sexier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Windows Reply with quote

happydriver wrote:
With all the neg SOTO threads that seem to be taking over I thought I would post a positive one about 15 window buses. I got mine a little over a month ago is a total pos not even being close to street legal yet but still I can't help being in love with it. Just pictureing the final result and going on the first ride I can't wait. Not to be exclusive or anything but is there anyone else out there with a 15 window that feels the same way? It just seems like there aren't that many 15's out there, but of course I do live in Ohio but still rarely are they for sale on the samba and when they are they sure don't last long. Kinda curious what you guys have to say about the subject.

Welcome to "The 15 Window Brigade" happydriver. We had quite a long thread going on this topic a few months ago:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132518&highlight=
The general verdict on 15 Window Splitties was that they're just about the coolest buses on the road. Well that was the opinion of most 15 Window Bus owners Wink

There are still quite a few around.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Windows Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
happydriver wrote:

Welcome to "The 15 Window Brigade" happydriver. We had quite a long thread going on this topic a few months ago:
The general verdict on 15 Window Splitties was that they're just about the coolest buses on the road. Well that was the opinion of most 15 Window Bus owners Wink

i thought matt keene had the 15 window mafia

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove a 15 window once, thats when i fell in love with corner windows, I now have a 23, but the only busses I like are

crews
panels

I dont care for 21 windows, gotta have corner windows or no windows

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kommercial wrote:
Ok that's it clara your busted. I know greg would never describe a bus as sexier.

You coming up for the Shasta Snow trip Wade?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 Windows Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
happydriver wrote:

i thought matt keene had the 15 window mafia

I don't think we'd claim anything as organised as "The Barndoor Mafia" unless of course Matt would like to call a meeting of the clan. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullet signal 15's are supposed to be more rarer than ones with fried egg's. you have a nice bus that will appreciate in value.
good luck with your resto.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it but I have been thinking about selling mine, but its been a great ride for the past three years. Does that mean I have to change my name?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 windowdelux wrote:
Hate to say it but I have been thinking about selling mine, but its been a great ride for the past three years. Does that mean I have to change my name?

no we will still call you mike

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
15 windowdelux
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it Smile
Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here here. Nothing like a full 360 deg view in your bus. I always get folks coming up to me saying " I've never seen one with the windows in the corners".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyDriver
I feel exactly the same. My 15 is at the resto shop getting all the metal work done. I hope to have it back at the end of January and then the mechanical work will start in earnest. I am stoked that there is finally some progress on my bus. I spent a good deal of time finding the right place to do the work on my bus. I also know what you mean about rare. There are probably less than 50 buses in this whole province and I probably have the only 15!
I would never dream of putting a roof clip on it.

I am of course biased, but I think that a bullet Sealing Wax Red and Beige Grey 15 window is the coolest bus ever built!

The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
HappyDriver
I feel exactly the same. My 15 is at the resto shop getting all the metal work done. I hope to have it back at the end of January and then the mechanical work will start in earnest.

I am of course biased, but I think that a bullet Sealing Wax Red and Beige Grey 15 window is the coolest bus ever built!

How much is metal work typically running? I am looking at one described as Has typical midwestern rust in all the usual areas including floors, rockers, doglegs, outrigggers, lower rear corners, etc

Does anyone know what this might cost?
happydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya riff raff i don't think there is anything that beats a swr/bgr bullet 15 winodw either. I have been collecting all the metal pieces I need for mine and am almost ready to start working on it, I will be doing my own body work and then working on mechanicals. It's just nice to see parts start coming in and knowing that they soon will be put on. I was wondering how your's was going.
Senor Samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man! I'm down right pleased with mine. I cruise it to work everyday, 40 miles round trip.
'62 15 window
San Antonio, TX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Senor Samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way that afternoon my family and I went to my father-in-laws to see a friend of mines '63 15 win. walk-thru dlx. getting ready for paint.
it looked fookin' beautiful!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Senor Samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this isnt over kill (I'm buzzing this evening)
tuning the beast.w/ ghiafreek

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: