Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EXJAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I can get a set of OG housings anytime from my VW yard I get parts from so I'm not worried about that. My struts are way long gone and stick so they are garbage and out the door. Dong this myself so my only cost is really the strut inserts and maybe a thicker swaybar

'74 Superbeetle (Family owned since new)
'73 181 Thing (sold)
EXJAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

rear fenders have to come off for inner bar adjustment?

'74 Superbeetle (Family owned since new)
'73 181 Thing (sold)
Eric J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

EXJAY wrote:
rear fenders have to come off for inner bar adjustment?

At least the running board bolt and the next 5 fender bolts. You can then slip the torsion arm out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I went with the Top Line Stuff. MaxxStrut, Front and rear sway bars, all new bushings and ball joints and 4 wheel disc brakes. Dropped the front about 2.5 inches and the rear 2 inches. I think it was well worth the effort to do everything right at the same time. This is the final look after everything has settled down.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

74 Super Beetle (German Look Project)
Full Flow 1776 with 36 Dells, 4 wheel drilled and slotted disc brakes, Porsche 7x17 Turbo Twists, Topline Maxx Struts, Camber kit, 7/8" Front Sway bar, Rear Sway bar, Urethane bushings all around.
thatguynamedtracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

So i Don't have time to go through the 27 pages of responses in this, so i'm gonna ask it straight up.
I do not care in the slightest about ride quality. I simply want to put my 72 super basically on the floor. I know it is sacrilege to some of you, but i would like to get a straightforward answer or a link to something that will make everything easy to understand. Can anyone help me out? I have basically no budget for now, so the cheaper the better, with almost no exceptions.
I have a basic understanding of most everything on the car, but i do not know very much in detail
I just want her to be as low as she can be, no care for ride quality
ANYTHING HELPS
-tracy
Coffee Freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

thatguynamedtracy wrote:
So i Don't have time to go through the 27 pages of responses in this, so i'm gonna ask it straight up.
I do not care in the slightest about ride quality. I simply want to put my 72 super basically on the floor. I know it is sacrilege to some of you, but i would like to get a straightforward answer or a link to something that will make everything easy to understand. Can anyone help me out? I have basically no budget for now, so the cheaper the better, with almost no exceptions.
I have a basic understanding of most everything on the car, but i do not know very much in detail
I just want her to be as low as she can be, no care for ride quality
ANYTHING HELPS
-tracy

I'm in almost the exact same boat (same year SB, too!). From what I gather from reading it so far is for no budget, you can lop 2 loops off the front coils and lower the rear one inner spline. This should give about 2" of drop for free with crappy ride quality. Beyond this, you are gonna pay for it. Best advice beyond 2" drop is to break out the wallet and call Topline. 27 pages of this thread will tell you that.
thatguynamedtracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Alright. Thanks a ton man. Well see if I make a real screw up haha
Chbowers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I purchased the adjust a strut from a place called car craft.

Does anyone know how many notches to move the c clip down on the strut housing to get 2.5 inches lower than stock. So tired of EMPI parts not coming with instructions.
Bugsareforme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Hey I'm 16 and don't have a lot of money to lower my 75 super I have the 2 bolt strut and want to lower is about 2-3" have u ever heard of people using other cars springs to lower it eg bmw, Mazda
JahKewn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I'm tired of having an inaccurate speedo & odometer.

I have the Topline versa-strut and sport+ spring combo. Can I run the stock size 165/80R15 size on the highest snap ring position and avoid any rubbing issues?

If not what are my options? Completely stock? Stock strut tube housing with sport+ spring? Topline versa-strut w/ stock spring?

Thank you in advance, I still have my OG strut housings and springs but they are in rough condition.. if possible I'm hoping to keep the much better condition Topline parts.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

JahKewn wrote:

I have the Topline versa-strut and sport+ spring combo. Can I run the stock size 165/80R15 size on the highest snap ring position and avoid any rubbing issues?

If not what are my options? Completely stock? Stock strut tube housing with sport+ spring? Topline versa-strut w/ stock spring?

Thank you in advance, I still have my OG strut housings and springs but they are in rough condition.. if possible I'm hoping to keep the much better condition Topline parts.

What size tires are you running now? How far off is the speedo?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JahKewn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
JahKewn wrote:

What size tires are you running now? How far off is the speedo?

I have 145 R15 now. Sliiiight rubbing when wheel is full lock turning when there's more than one passenger.

My speedo is ~10% too fast at any given speed
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I just landed an in-process rat 1972 Super Beetle that has passed through a couple of hands in a basket so I don't have the history. It's been slammed all around in what seems to be the right way in most respects but the rear sits a little lower on the passenger side. Here are some pics of the suspension. From browsing pictures in the forums my guess is Topline lowering kit. It has lowering struts, big anti-sway bar, disk brakes and all the rubber bushings and what not are new and red. Braided stainless brake lines. Oh... and the tie-rods are flipped. Totally cool. The rear has a new big anti-sway bar and red bushings too. The rear is almost on the bump stop on the driver side and definitely on the bump stop on the passenger side. What gives with that! Could it have been dropped an extra spline on that side? The left axle is horizontal but the right axle angles up so there is a distinct difference between the sides. I've never played with the suspension on these at all so I don't know what to think really on how to diagnose the weirdness there in the back. Smarter dudes say what? Anyway... here are the pics and THANK YOU!!!!:

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Efni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I have an interesting issue.

Preface:
Pan off restore...
New Control Arm and Tie Rods and ends
Flip kit from Topline installed on Spindles
New Empi Adjustable Strut Housing with Topline Sport Springs and Lowered insert
Snap ring set to middle setting, for about a 2.5 inch drop.
New Camber+ Eccentric Bolts by Topline
New Disk Brake System
New Ball Joints
New Strut Bearing Mounts
Empi 914 4x130 wheels with 165/15 5.5 tires- running 22 PSI
New Urethane Bushings everywhere.
New Lowered Swaybar by Topline
Original Steering Box (was in great condition when removed.)
New Idler arm bushing
Front End Alignment professionally performed.

Issue:
when the car is up in the air, The steering is smooth and easy. I can grab the wheels at 9 and 3 and move them without issue.

When the car is on the ground, the steering seems stiff, then when driving, the car has a bit of memory steer and is stiff.

I can't seem to find where the stiffness is coming from.. I thought maybe the idler arm was causing the problem, cause the before the busing replacement, I could move the arm by hand while it was out of the car, but after, whew, it was tight.. But with the car in the air, the steering is unobstructed it would seem.

Experts... Please help!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Is it possible you've got the steering box adjustment too tight? That's what I found when I adjusted the steering box on my '72 Super to get rid of excessive play when standing. I had to dial back my adjustment bit by bit until the wheel was again able to center itself w/out my help. Adjust-drive-repeat.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Efni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

Thanks!! I think I have it resolved. I was missing the spacer between the Strut bearing mount and the top sleeve which was likely causing some binding.. And then I needed to adjust the steering box, to fine tune it some more. I suspect the PO tightened it down to try and cure the SB Shakes, and during the resto process, I only yanked it, cleaned it up, and put it back in.. So.. It's still not 100%, but man, so much nicer to drive.
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I have a 71 that was lowered about 15 years ago by my dad with some 4" drop struts that were purchased from a hot VW's magazine.

The car sat for about 4 years with the new struts/shocks in it, then I bought it from him and drove it for ~3 years. I sold the car and it sat for ~7 years. I got the car back and now have the means to make things better.

I have a couple of issues that I need help with

1. Is there any way for me to know what kind of struts these are? Does it matter?

2. I can step on the front end of the car and push it to the bump stops, there is almost no spring back up. The springs in the car are the original stock ones, they were never replaced.

3. Should I buy new shocks and springs? Should I buy stock or "Lowered" springs. I do not really think that I will be putting huge wheels on the car so I am not really looking at getting the MAXX struts/springs.

Thanks!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

1. Are you sure your dad dropped it 4" and kept the stock springs w/out cutting them? Seems like a big drop w/stop springs.
2. At the very least your strut inserts are shot. Go w/Sachs Boge oil-filled replacements. Topline VW parts sells ones for lowered Supers.
3. I have a '72 Super w/the same suspension design as yours. The Sport+ springs from, again Topline vw parts, are what I use and they really provide a great smooth ride along w/the oil strut inserts.

[EDIT] Be sure to inspect all of the parts for rot. 7 years is a long time to be sitting. Pictures may help folks here give you better advice.

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
1. Are you sure your dad dropped it 4" and kept the stock springs w/out cutting them? Seems like a big drop w/stop springs.
2. At the very least your strut inserts are shot. Go w/Sachs Boge oil-filled replacements. Topline VW parts sells ones for lowered Supers.
3. I have a '72 Super w/the same suspension design as yours. The Sport+ springs from, again Topline vw parts, are what I use and they really provide a great smooth ride along w/the oil strut inserts.

[EDIT] Be sure to inspect all of the parts for rot. 7 years is a long time to be sitting. Pictures may help folks here give you better advice.

Victor

Here are some photos and a video

I only weigh 200 Lbs, it seems like I should not be able to push the car down as far as I can when standing on the bumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDPJgFwOZo

Here is how the car stands

Thanks
plastikman187
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic Reply with quote

I hate to "bump" this thread, but does anyone have any advice?

I was really hoping that the smart people on here could give me some additional guidance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 33

Jump to: