Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "Super Beetle" lowering topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sumo337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody actually slammed a super? I'm talking below an inch of ground clearence.

Mine has 2" of ground clearence at the lowest point and it looks a lot higher than it is.
:: Gusto ::
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 74 sb...

I was thinking of getting some drop spindles for my bug...
& w/o reading the 20+ pages of this thread..
I'm guessing there is a way to adjust the torsion bars.. so I can lower my rear...
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumo337 wrote:
Has anybody actually slammed a super? I'm talking below an inch of ground clearence.

Mine has 2" of ground clearence at the lowest point and it looks a lot higher than it is.

That's the way Supers are. Drop it until the frame head is sitting on the ground and it still looks like a stock height standard bug.
texson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Topline have stock options. After reading through this I feel like I should be standing in their lobby...
jimk29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I lower the front of my 73 super by 3 inches, do I need to change the sway bar? What are the benefits of swapping it, and what are the negatives of not doing so?

I'm thinking of getting the adjustable struts from CIP1 along with the front springs that are for use with lowering struts.
VeroDubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sumo337 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lowest I have managed… this is 1" at the frame head skid plate while the car is empty. With me in it it sits around a 1/2" which is too low to drive a super in my opinion.

We are going to a 16" wheel with 205/50's and that should give us a another inch without changing the suspension settings!

Last edited by VeroDubs on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimk29 wrote:
If I lower the front of my 73 super by 3 inches, do I need to change the sway bar? What are the benefits of swapping it, and what are the negatives of not doing so?

I'm thinking of getting the adjustable struts from CIP1 along with the front springs that are for use with lowering struts.

After talking to John at Topline, I think you can go 3 inches with the stock sway bar. Anything more than that, and you get into binding with the control arms and need a lowered sway bar. Of course going to a bigger swar bar has handling benifits, but then you need to consider adding one to the rear too.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimk29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:

After talking to John at Topline, I think you can go 3 inches with the stock sway bar. Anything more than that, and you get into binding with the control arms and need a lowered sway bar. Of course going to a bigger swar bar has handling benifits, but then you need to consider adding one to the rear too.

Thank you. I'll probably stick with the stock sway bar and see how the ride is, then take it from there.
jimk29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I lower my super 3 inches, can I use the stock springs?
jimk29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading through this some more I opted for the topline lowering kit with the sport springs. The general consensus seemed to be that the quality of topline is the best, so I hope the extra money was worth it!
oakleykp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: lowering springs Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried the 2" drop lowering springs sold by cip1? They claim a 2 inch drop with stock struts.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C29-1385
JOSHIE-G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone make extended bottom ball joints for a three bolt super?
Having the issue of control arms knocking, If there isnt such thing i was thinking about getting a spacer made up for inbetween the strut and the ball joint, any help Confused
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4therush wrote:
Well hello people. New guy here. Just got a 1972 Super.. Spent a ton allready on interior and other stuffs from Jbugs lol.I guess i am trying to get back to my past a bit. But I will post a few pics when I get the time. The problem I am having is the front end is lowered allready but the control arm rubs the rim If I turn to sharp.. All three point turns all the time gets old. I have a 3" Atomwerks drop plate kit on the way and dont want to raise the front to fix this issue. Any advice for a new guy?

Update.. Ok I see the issue.. he had put 14.5 rims on the front to lower it more. if I switch to a larger rim then it should solve the issue.. But i will also need a lower profile tire..
[img][/img]

Got alot to do on it..[img]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/img0102ns.jpg/[img][/img]

I'm having similar issues with mine. With the 356 4,5x15 ET15 it works just fine.

But when I want to put on my custom 356 5,5x15 with ET38 I get a little problem.. Got to rethink my plans some... Sad

The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksrodder73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 175/55s on mine dropped it about 5 inches no rubbing no problems. The pans lower than my lowered 64 but my super drives about a thousand times better. Waiting to throw some turn signal bumpers on so I can finally install my kamei spoiler. I had the 195/65s on just like that dark blue super but my ball joints rubbed on the insides of my wheels till I swapped for low pros. And p.s. the flip it kit is a breeze compared to the pivot arm bushing and camber plus kit... Someday I will get a press.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, what is your overall tire/wheel height. As I plan out my tire and wheel package I'm trying to figure out what the best overall height would be. I intend to run the same profile height but staggered width front to rear. Right now I'm thinking 175 60 15 and 195 55 15 which would be right at 23 inches overall height.

EDIT: I mistakenly quoted the wrong post. I meant the quote the post of the lowered yellow car

johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com

beetlenut wrote:
jimk29 wrote:

Dieselchanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a couple questions about struts. I've read quite a bit in this and other threads on the site, and if the information is here I must have missed it. How much can you lower the front with the stock strut inserts before having problems? Also, will the Rabbit/Scirocco struts fit inside two bolt housings? I know the Rabbit struts are shorter I'm only concerned with the diameter.

I realize that Topline parts is the way to go and I'm not here to dispute that or discount it. However, I would still like to know the answers to the above questions if anyone has experience with it.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I shortened my stock strut housing by about an inch, and dropped a Rabbit strut insert into my 74 supers strut housing. It worked fine and dropped the front down an inch or so. The problem with lowering with stock springs, is the diameter of the springs themselves in relation to the stock VW wheel offset. Anything lower than about 2 1/2 inches and the inside of the tire starts to contact the spring. That's when you have to go to smaller diameter springs, and different rim offsets. Topline already figured out all those clearances and has several options at different prices.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could simply use MK1 Golf struts (to replace 1303 2-bolt struts). They are 2.5 inches shorter than stock struts and offer a much larger range of of shock absorber inserts. Though I'm not certain how the spring perch would work with stock diameter springs.

I used MK1 Golf GTI strut housings as the basis for a set of coilovers with 2.5 inch springs (that's 63.5mm to the non-yanks). Between the MK1 Golf housings and 944 front spindles, I will run the suspension at the highest setting and call it a day. I should have a drop of about 3 inches.

I made the coilovers mainly for the small diameter spring.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com

Last edited by H2OSB on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dieselchanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the answers guys!! Exactly what I needed to hear... I'm only looking for about 2 1/2" to start with so the rabbit struts should do me fine once I shorten the housings. The coilover idea is great too! Putting that one in the back of my head for sure.
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a set of older Empi adjustables, they work ok, but I don't really like them. I will be going to a 1" lowered spring pad on a stock strut with Topline lowering springs and should get 2.5" out of the vert.

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 33

Jump to: