Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wing windows
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. And where oh where would I find this baby?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a 1/16" stainless weld rod and it was too thin. paper clips are probably too thin and too soft as well.

if you have a hardware store...in your local industrial district you could try them.

otherwise, try Small Parts or McMaster Carr or Micro Fasteners
http://www.smallparts.com/
http://www.mcmaster.com/#
http://www.microfasteners.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this with a google search- http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/item.php?cid=592&pid=1316
It looks like a gun part to me...
Reckless Amateur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What service--you guys are too much! Many thanks for the help.
Darren2dream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turambar wrote:
Here's a diagram that came with my 91 GL when I bought it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

T

Sooooo, years have gone by since this thread was started.. wondering if anyone's come up with a better solution to keeping the Pin listed in this photo as #7 where it's supposed to be.

I haven't lost mine yet but, I work it into place, use the latch and it works itself right back out of place... Seems like if I just get a new pin I'll have the same problem but with a new pin, no? I can't see why it would want to stay in better, the original requires a fair amount of effort to get down into that hole but, it comes out with one twist of the latch... Frustrating.. Anyone tried something better to keep this little guy in it's place?

Though, as I sit here and type this, I realize that life must be pretty good if I'm working on this little pin and the van drove wonderfully for the weekend....
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are usually several wing window assemblies for reasonable prices for sale in TheSamba classifieds.

Chuey
Darren2dream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true and I had to replace the passenger side last year after a break in but, it seems like replacing the entire wing window just to fix the pin is a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, no? Unless there truly is no way for that pin to ever fit nicely back in the place it's meant to fit..
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has been years Laughing

I think my solution has been to stop using my wing window. I remember fussing over this too back then but it hasn't been a problem since.

I guess I'd say again get a roll pin from a hardware store that's the right size.
or a small nut and bolt that is also the right diameter.

or, find a wire that is the right size and bend it over top and bottom so it can't get out. like a cotter pin ?
regbook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of wing windows is there any way to adjust the latches.mine will not rotate forward far enough to allow the window to swing out.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regbook wrote:
On the subject of wing windows is there any way to adjust the latches.mine will not rotate forward far enough to allow the window to swing out.

Just twist the whole latch assembly in the direction that you want it to be with the window in the open position.the whole latch assembly will pivot in the glass with a little coaxing.

On another note,the latches work so much better with a shot of lubricant,This will also ease the friction in turning which causes the roll pin to come out with use.
hrtm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my simple solution!:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7812429
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That #9 bolt can be tightened without taking everything apart.

You do have to take off the door panel, the rest is easy.

Yes that's the same bolt that Walt posted a crappy pic of back on page 1.
Just have to use skinny pliers there....
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
hrtm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, while you're there I'd just replace the phillips with a hex head bolt of some kind (M5 or M6?) so you could actually get a wrench on it. I recently replaced all my door panels. Would have been a good opportunity to refurbish the vent hinge. However, fussing with the water barrier wasn't on the agenda. Nice to know *how* it's done at least, but for the time being (aka foreseeable future) I'll be sticking with my S-hook.
hrtm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: wing windows Reply with quote

I'm replacing my windows and having issues getting the big piece of glass back into the slot. What is the trick? Afew weeks ago, after a brief bout of genius which will probably never happen again in my life, I was able to get the passenger glass in place.

Except the wing window and one scraper all of the rubber is out of the opening. I recall that I had to slide one corner of the big glass up into the top channel while tilting it to the front?

Does someone have a video? Samba search did reveal the secret. Tia.
trentb512
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: wing windows Reply with quote

Reviving an old post.. I took the weekend to repair the front window seals in my van, and have struggled since buying the van with the wing window flopping... The Pin seemed tight in the lower mount, but not firm. While I was pulling the seals out of the door, the frame(item 1 in the exploded parts pic) felt relatively strong, however once I went to pull out the frame to replace the seal, it was apparent where my issue was! The whole bottom channel had rusted out, so when wind was pushing against the vent window I can see why it would never stay in place! It all crumbled as I was pulling it out! So, now I get to wait a week for some new frames to come in before reassembling and testing. Time to grease the regulator, add some sound mat and maybe run new speaker wires.

If you are having issues with your wing window, maybe just try taking the door panel and vapor barrier off, speaker out and reach your hand up to the channel where the drain hole is and feel for corrosion in the channel. It is fit pretty tightly into the seal, so you will have to feel around. Just my two cents!
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: wing windows Reply with quote

My wife likes to open the wing window full stop. I find the wind noise unbearable. I consider it a feature that the window keeps blowing shut!
LisaS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: wing windows Reply with quote

We lost our #7 win wing latch roll screw. I replaced it with a wire twisty tie from a bread bag. That’ll hold for now, or forever, whichever comes first.

Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: wing windows Reply with quote

FYI,
My wings are out and I disassembled them for new seals and tinting. I found that pin, #7 was tapered and went in only one way. If you lose yours, I would suggest taking the latch to your hardware store and finding a pin that is snug, and for added security, use a sleeve retainer compound it on it like this:

https://www.permatex.com/products/thread-compounds...-retainer/

Paul
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: wing windows Reply with quote

This issue has always bugged me. Why on earth would a designer put the adjustment screw in an inaccessible position when simply reversing it would solve the issue? So I changed it. Sorry I don't know how to create a direct link to my topic, but this will get you there. Passenger Window--Fixes and mods

What I wound up with, shown in the pics, including enough info for you to do it yourself, is a small black-plastic plug which when snapped out leaves access for an allen wrench to adjust the force on the pin. You can get any degree of resistance you want and don't have to remove any door parts to make the adjustment.

Highly recommend you do this.

This was previously posted under the same topic, but titled Vanagon vent window hack
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: