Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ambulance Barndoor?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-E-Bob,

That's probably a better question for the Barndoor Mafia thread... Twisted Evil

hth, dieselnut

ps. You're thinking too much! Rolling Eyes
Bill-E-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way dieselnut! If I tell those guys I don't think a 52 bus is a barndoor, they'll have me sleepin' with the fishies in no time! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term 'barndoor' signifies the generation of bus, so even though the SC's don't have the big lid, they still have the other barndoor elements...and what makes a barndoors special goes far beyond just the big lid - the dash, the roof, all the little details, etc.

Then again, you could post on the BD thread...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-E-Bob,
I will say this. It seems there was a time when single cabs were described as barndoor _era_ single cabs by some folks. But it's in the finest American vernacular tradition to remove as many unnecessary syllables as humanly possible when speaking, so at some point you began to just see "barndoor single cabs" instead. (If confusing, insert "ambulance" for "single cab" and see how it goes! Wink
~dieselnut
ps. Cool avatar! Took me a while to get it though....
pss. Stop thinking so much!!!! lol
Bill-E-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselnut,
you'd be amazed how often I hear that...stop thinking so much...its a sickness. What can I say? Smile Thanks to you & Z for the explanation on the barndoor, while continuing to think too much I came to the conclusion that its similar to the debate about whether or not "samba" describes all deluxe busses or just 21 & 23 windows...only nobody but me seems to care about this one. hehe

Oh & thanks for the compliment about the avatar...another example of me thinking too much. Came up with the idea when I was trying to explain the beauty of a splitties nose. Nominate me for next years chummie, thats my goal in life. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abuspilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought "barndoor" referred to the hinged cargo doors on a split as opposed to the sliders on a bay.

So what would you call a split with a slider, a bay? Confused Keep the ambo info coming and the BDM does need to put an educational hit on Bill-E-Bob. I am a huge fan of the ambulance bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill-E-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the ambulance bus is awsome! Barndoor era, barndoor, either way. I know what you call a split with a slider, you call it just friggin' awsome. Especially a double slider 21. Mmmm...someday, someday. Cool
Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Ambulance Deck Lid Reply with quote

For those Who were asking about the deck lid of a early barndoor Ambulance, Heres a picture of the oldest Ambulance in the US.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Bad ass Barndoor Reply with quote

In this picture is a barndoor, can you see it or not? no matter what else, it's a barndoor. suck it up.

cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That photo shows a hint of locomotive and airplane cockpit in the barndoor design. Pretty cool. Some of that simplicity and beautiful design lines were lost with the later fresh air intake/roof change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
ronnie wrote:
i thought the miesen built amublances kept the barn door engine lid?

Notice how the recess on a barndoor ambulance engine lid goes all the way to the bottom edge, where as a 55-(early) 58 lid the recess stops short of the bottom? They cut down the og lid as the guys above said.

i meant that i thought they kept the full height b/d engine lid and you had to side load the passengers on the miesen built ambulance. or maybe i need to stop smoking crack?

http://www.oslp.org/
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuinely, I think "barndoor" and "barndoor era" are interchangeable. For many it's just quicker to say barndoor, knowing that the other person will know (s)he means a bus built up to March of '55. <shrugs> But looking at the inside of that ambo decklid, that's definitely cut down (or something) from a BD deck.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-E-BoB wrote:
dieselnut,
you'd be amazed how often I hear that...stop thinking so much...its a sickness. What can I say? Smile Thanks to you & Z for the explanation on the barndoor, while continuing to think too much I came to the conclusion that its similar to the debate about whether or not "samba" describes all deluxe busses or just 21 & 23 windows...only nobody but me seems to care about this one. hehe

Oh & thanks for the compliment about the avatar...another example of me thinking too much. Came up with the idea when I was trying to explain the beauty of a splitties nose. Nominate me for next years chummie, thats my goal in life. Laughing

Samba is for buses with ragtops. You don't call a deluxe non-sunroof a 21/23 window 'cause it doesn't have the windows. Following that logic you could call a panel a kombi because it's only missing 6 windows.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and then you could call a single cab a panel cos its not missing any windows the panel has... so therefore its a kombi too! Very Happy

Still trying to work out what that says about a double cab Laughing
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"barndoor singlecab" is perfectly acceptable

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just don't call a standard microbus a kombi.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a mango one? Very Happy

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill-E-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Bill-E-BoB wrote:
dieselnut,

Samba is for buses with ragtops. You don't call a deluxe non-sunroof a 21/23 window 'cause it doesn't have the windows. Following that logic you could call a panel a kombi because it's only missing 6 windows.

Exactly...nobody ever calls a panel a kombi 'cause its missing 6 of the windows. But we call some busses barndoors that don't have barndoors...its only missing 1 barndoor. I know its got all the other features like the cool dash & no overhang & all that stuff not to mention the age, which means surviving busses are even more rare. Its just missing the barndoor. Like Dieselnut said, I need to stop thinking so much. Its sort of like asking why we drive on a parkway & park in the driveway. Didn't mean to jack a thread, back to the ambulance. Smile
malachai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are barndoors the ones made in wolfsberg, and other busses the ones made in hanover?
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malachai wrote:
are barndoors the ones made in wolfsberg, and other busses the ones made in hanover?

no. my 56 is a wolfsburg - but not a bd.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: