Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn key motors
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Turn key motors Reply with quote

Who makes the best turn key engines? i am restoring an old Lido (like a Lobo) dunebuggy and I am thinking of putting in a larger engine, like an 1835? But I am old and lazy and don't want to spend time searching components so I am thinking turnkey engine and matched trans. Any suggestions or opinions on where to buy?
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key motors Reply with quote

Have you checked for local builders? I know Red River is a big VW club someone there may know a good local.

AMAC
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key motors Reply with quote

There is a show today in Fargo. That may be a place to scout for a local builder. Mofoco is a 12 hour drive. I would drive that far to pick one up in person. My only Turn Key engine from Mofoco was back in 1992 and it was awesome for the 10 years I owned it, but I don't know anything else other than he gets mixed reviews on the Engine forum.

Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key motors Reply with quote

There are 'builders'; individuals who put together engines & take the time to check & shim barrels as required to set piston height to proper tolerances, among other things.

And there are 'assemblers'; individuals who simply bolt parts together.

You gets what you pays for.

bnc
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key motors Reply with quote

I have "rebuilt" several engines in my life from lawnmowers, mopeds, several VW's and a chevy 350. However, that experience has taught me how much is really involved in creating a quality engine, line boring, balancing, shimming, turning boring, etc. In addition you can't just throw any old carb or electronic ignition system. You need a balance to get maximum performance. What I am looking for is a turn key engine that someone has taken the time to create A durable, dependable daily driver/ perfomance engine.

Ps, thanks for all the advice. I have been a member of the Red River VW club for 12 years, the show this weekend was great, in fact I just got back from the send off breakfast that I am proud to say was made by my girlfriend. life is alwas better at a VW show!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Turn key motors Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
There is a show today in Fargo. That may be a place to scout for a local builder. Mofoco is a 12 hour drive. I would drive that far to pick one up in person. My only Turn Key engine from Mofoco was back in 1992 and it was awesome for the 10 years I owned it, but I don't know anything else other than he gets mixed reviews on the Engine forum.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I have had people drive from NY, KY, TN, TX, CA, AZ, IL, MN, IA, OH, IN to pick up engines/transmissions in the last couple years. I love it when people can come and see their engine running on the test stand before taking it home.

Please feel free to write me direct [email protected] with any questions or for a price quote.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: