Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hella driving lights
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

Found a set of old Hella driving lights made in Germany at a garage sale. Can anyone help me with a wiring diagram? Want to hook them up in my 73 thing with a switch of course. One has a Brown wire and a white wire the other has a brown, white, and a yellow wire. Thanks
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

I'm happy to help you with a diagram. But first I must ask you this: how do you want them to behave?

Come on only with the low beams.
Come on only with the high beams.
Come on with either high beams or low beams, but not by themselves.
Come on with or without headlights, but only when the key is switched on.
Come on with or without headlights, even if the key is off.

I think that different locations have different requirements, and different definitions and distinctions between driving lights and fog lights. So check your local laws.

PIAA has this to say, FWIW:
Quote:
What is the difference between a fog light & a driving light?
Fog lights provide illumination forward of the vehicle that enhances visibility in fog, rain, snow, or dust. Fog lights are intended to be used in conjunction with standard headlamp low beams. Driving lights are mounted to provide illumination forward of the vehicle and intended to supplement the high beam of a standard headlamp system. It is not intended for use alone or with the low beam of a standard headlamp system.
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Captain. I think to keep it simple I would go with the, Come on with or without headlights, even if the key is off.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

Pull a hot lead from the battery, I would piggyback one to the ignition fuse, run that lead to the switch and then lights, and lights to ground...get a relay.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:

PIAA has this to say, FWIW:
Quote:
What is the difference between a fog light & a driving light?
Fog lights provide illumination forward of the vehicle that enhances visibility in fog, rain, snow, or dust. Fog lights are intended to be used in conjunction with standard headlamp low beams. Driving lights are mounted to provide illumination forward of the vehicle and intended to supplement the high beam of a standard headlamp system. It is not intended for use alone or with the low beam of a standard headlamp system.

Amazing. I have called the fog lamps on my Tiguan, Eos, Cabrio, etc., driving lamps all these years but they only work with the low beams.

So what's better -- (and I hope I'm not opening a can of worms) ... amber fog lamps, mounted above the bumper, or white fog lamps, mounted below the bumper?

I have heard amber light cuts through the fog while lower-mounted lights illuminate below the fog cover. Any of this true?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

ud40 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Captain. I think to keep it simple I would go with the, Come on with or without headlights, even if the key is off.

Okay here is what you asked for. I'm assuming the white wires on the Hella lights are meant to connect the lights together, and that the yellow wire is for power.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But if I were you, I would reconsider having those lights come on with the key out. It's just as simple to wire the lights so that the key switch must be on. Might save you coming out to your car to find a dead battery one day . . .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

oasis wrote:

Amazing. I have called the fog lamps on my Tiguan, Eos, Cabrio, etc., driving lamps all these years but they only work with the low beams.

So what's better -- (and I hope I'm not opening a can of worms) ... amber fog lamps, mounted above the bumper, or white fog lamps, mounted below the bumper?

I have heard amber light cuts through the fog while lower-mounted lights illuminate below the fog cover. Any of this true?

I'm not sure I'd take PIAA's definition as gospel. Different areas have different laws and definitions regarding auxiliary lights.

In my limited experience with fog lights I would say that amber lights are less effective than white lights, and that pencil beams are more effective than floods. It seems that the most practical purpose of fog lights is to let other cars see you. The reason for mounting them low is so they don't make the fog right in front of your face opaque. Because when you shine light on fog it is harder to see through. Not easier.

If I were putting aux lights on my car I'd want a nice wide pattern. Not fog lamps per se. Pencil beams are for faster cars. Razz Hella 500's are great. Hella 4000 cornering lights are a step up.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

Good to know your experience.

Not sure I'd be driving Thing in fog too much anyway.

I was thinking three up front due to size and mine coming with a push bar -- the two outside offering flood and the center being pencil. I love LEDs (my H4 headlights are now LEDs), but the rectangular LED bars would look out of place on my Acapulco (although they might look dynamite on other Thing applications).

I have other stuff on the front burner but info gathering is never on the back burner. Thanks!
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

Thanks Captain for the diagrams I think I will go with the second one and not tie into the headlights. What kind of relay is that?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

ud40 wrote:
What kind of relay is that?

Happy to help. It's just a common multi-purpose 4-pin relay. You'll be able to find one at your closest FLAPS.

Here's one that has the fuse holder built in: LINK

FYI, if your Hella lamps have 55w bulbs in them, you'll be pulling around 9 amps, so select a fuse accordingly.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
ud40 wrote:
What kind of relay is that?

Happy to help. It's just a common multi-purpose 4-pin relay. You'll be able to find one at your closest FLAPS.

Here's one that has the fuse holder built in: LINK

FYI, if your Hella lamps have 55w bulbs in them, you'll be pulling around 9 amps, so select a fuse accordingly.

$91 for a relay?!?!? Shocked
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ud40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

I think I can get by without the relay just use an inline fuse. These Hella lights are very old and I only want them on the thing so people can see me better they seem to think the car is slow because it is a VW so they like to pull out in front of you.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella driving lights Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
$91 for a relay?!?!? Shocked

Yikes! I only linked to it for the photo. I didn't even look at the price. It should be selling for about a tenth of that!

ud40 wrote:
I think I can get by without the relay just use an inline fuse. These Hella lights are very old and I only want them on the thing so people can see me better they seem to think the car is slow because it is a VW so they like to pull out in front of you.

You could certainly do it that way. But a relay will save wear and tear on the switch. A relay should set you back about $5. A vintage VW or Porsche fog light switch with bezel will cost 10 times that much. An investment worth protecting, IHMO.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: