Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 year young lady - 71 tin top - Help me help Anna
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyDemonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Guys....she needs Colin to get her another.5 years/5000 miles out of her Bus until she upgrades to that perfect Bus in the sky ( that Robbie is testing right now)

If her tires hold air, they'll be fine. She probably drives at 30 mph into town when she us in a rush. There's lots of paths to cheap rubber, even using pax tires would be ok here.

Pm sent to Colin

I have some tires I'd donate... you'd have to figure out a way to come get them (I'm in Salt Lake). They were on my bus when I bought it. They are almost new (85-90%) but they are not bus rated. I took them off & replaced with Hanooks. They are rated for pretty high lbs but I wouldn't put them on if you're doing any freeway driving.

send me an email if you want them Smile

[email protected]
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Johnny - thanks - we will put those into the mix and figure out if that makes sense. Im not sure where SLC is with respect to Brandt but we will figure that out via PM
engelwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

My 68 bus would die when I put it in reverse. I happened after I replaced the coil. I plugged one of the wires into the wrong side of the coil. I am not talking about the lead to the distributor cap.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

JohnnyDemonic wrote:
I have some tires I'd donate... you'd have to figure out a way to come get them (I'm in Salt Lake). They were on my bus when I bought it. They are almost new (85-90%) but they are not bus rated. I took them off & replaced with Hanooks. They are rated for pretty high lbs but I wouldn't put them on if you're doing any freeway driving.

send me an email if you want them Smile

[email protected]

We should not wish bad tires for her bus, any more than we would our own. There is a reason you took them off. Put my donation towards new tires.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

brandt wrote:
Runs way better with brake vac hose blocked.

I'll be near a Napa in a few hours, I'm in a rush, my notes for a late bay I have Gates hose 27231 15/32 I.D. 7 feet of it. Is that the same for a 71?

I'd hope a small town Napa has the proper fuel hose? How many feet and what size? Sorry to beat this dead horse but I don't have time to search...

Thanks!
Yes, I think the other guys are answering with fuel hose sizes.....but yes the booster vac hose you list is correct. Got mine at O'Reilly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

engelwagen wrote:
My 68 bus would die when I put it in reverse. I happened after I replaced the coil. I plugged one of the wires into the wrong side of the coil. I am not talking about the lead to the distributor cap.

It could have been wired incorrectly but i bet it is more likely that a vacuum leak was making it run only with 'two feet' - and when you go into reverse, you run out of feet.

Putting the 12 VDC into the condenser side is a classic bus mistake
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Embarassed Think hes talking about the back up lights going to the points side of the coil Rolling Eyes

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Ok everybody here's an update.

Late the other night I adjusted the valves, all seemed well to me and none were off much at all. Replaced brake booster vac hose too. I couldn't find the 15/32 but did get some 1/2 stuff that fit well.

I decided to pull each spark plug and take a look, check gap, clean. All plugs looked fine. Although there is an issue with one of the spark plug threads that I'm working on backstage. Details to come.

I'm going to go ahead and rebuild the carb in the morning when it's not 105 degrees out. Then time it with a light, check the advance in the dist. tune it nice... Check out the brakes... Fix the horn.

Then all it will need is tires to pass inspection. I say we use the donations for tires. If there's no money left for Colin or he can't alter his route others will be through in Sept/Oct and might be willing to lend a hand if need be. Aisab mentioned coming through in Dec, too.

I plan to get it inspected/registered and back to her ASAP and later down the road address the CV Boots and shift rod couplings/boots and whatever else. I have a spare set of driveshats and many spare cvs so I plan to rebuild those and just swap it out later.

I have learned the bus last drove on a highway April 2014. Not much since, just around the property a few times and occasionally starting.

More to come.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

brandt wrote:
Ok everybody here's an update.

Late the other night I adjusted the valves, all seemed well to me and none were off much at all. Replaced brake booster vac hose too. I couldn't find the 15/32 but did get some 1/2 stuff that fit well.

I decided to pull each spark plug and take a look, check gap, clean. All plugs looked fine. Although there is an issue with one of the spark plug threads that I'm working on backstage. Details to come.

I'm going to go ahead and rebuild the carb in the morning

If you wait for the morning post there just might be a rebuilt carb in a care package.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Also- $400. will put 4 new Lt Hankooks on your door step.

Don't step in any!
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Hankooks sound fine. All she will use this bus for is a occasional trips, 4-5 miles each way, into town for errands. It snows on occasion in the winter but usually melts soon.

In the meantime there is a bottle of this behind the drivers seat. She swears she has to use it every tank and has a case of the stuff in her shed. Any thoughts? I've never used anything like in in my busses.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by brandt on Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Supposedly all genuine 1967 and later VW air cooled heads had hardened valve seats and guides that were designed for unleaded fuel.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Waste of money and extra pollutants that don't need to be spread on our planet.

Unless like SGKent said, the engine was build decades before the bus. Now THAT would be fun to drive up a hill in a headwind! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

this fellow needs help too, only he is willing to pay for it. Maybe you can help him and use some of the donations for the 82 year old. That is a double reward.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660415
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

Update.

First off a big shout out to Desertbusman & WilliamM who both sent care packages of parts and supplies. And to Abscate for tending the donations.

I just repaired a stripped spark plug hole. Murphy's law would have it that a previous insert came out with the #2 plug. This would have been really difficult to do in this location without the help of Desertbusman.

I've also replaced all the fuel lines and moved the filter near the trans outside the engine compartment. Old lines were of three different types some were cracked. We rebuilt the carb too.

Plan is to start it tomorrow and tune it.

A set of Hankooks has been ordered. Thanks everyone who made a contribution.
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top - Help me help her Reply with quote

Thanks Brandt (and team) for update and all your hard work. Please do us a favor and post a picture of the smile on her face when you return her bus back to her.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top - Help me help her Reply with quote

Awesome!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top - Help me help her Reply with quote

Good work! Glad to hear there is progress being made. I'd like to see a picture of the happy owner too!
We need more of this good stuff in our world.
Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

brandt wrote:
Update.
First off a big shout out to Desertbusman .

I thought he fell off the edge of the world Twisted Evil Razz

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 82 year old lady - 71 tin top charity case Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
brandt wrote:
Update.
First off a big shout out to Desertbusman .

I thought he fell off the edge of the world Twisted Evil Razz

As I suspected he's now a lurker
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: