Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug won't start
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calibugboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Bug won't start Reply with quote

So my car will crank and crank and if I hold down the accelerator with the key turned all the way so the starter runs it seems like the car starts running but the second I take pressure off the key the engine dies, regardless of what I do with the accelerator. I don't think it's a spark problem my guess now is maybe fuel but I am unsure how to approach it. Any ideas as to the problem?
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug won't start Reply with quote

Sounds like it might be a timing issue. Check your distributor to see if the locking bracket is holding. If a distributor turns on its own it'll be way too retarded to start - it'll try to start but will have nearly zero power - often not enough to run on its own.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
Calibugboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug won't start Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
Sounds like it might be a timing issue. Check your distributor to see if the locking bracket is holding. If a distributor turns on its own it'll be way too retarded to start - it'll try to start but will have nearly zero power - often not enough to run on its own.

The problem is I just had the timing checked by a mechanic. I don't think it could have messed itself up in such a short amount of time
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug won't start Reply with quote

All the more reason to check it. No mechanic is infallible. It was the last thing that was worked on right? I always start my troubleshooting where I last worked things over. Check that the points are opening too - this symptom you have also indicates closed points which won't allow the coil to build the field necessary to make spark.

This could be an ignition switch problem too. You can check that very easily by running a long wire from the battery hot side to the hot side of the coil - your ignition will be on as soon as you make the connection - crank the engine - if it starts easily and runs once you return the key to the run position you're likely looking at a bad ignition switch. As long as your ignition key is in good shape just get the switch - the key/tumbler assembly comes off easily once the steering wheel is removed.

You might want to post the year of your car - motor - carb - dist etc in order to get a good idea of what you're dealing with.

Last edited by OLD VW NUT on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calibugboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug won't start Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
All the more reason to check it. No mechanic is infallible. It was the last thing that was worked on right? I always start my troubleshooting where I last worked things over. Check that the points are opening too - this symptom you have also indicates closed points which won't allow the coil to build the field necessary to make spark.

You might want to post the year of your car - motor - carb - dist etc in order to get a good idea of what you're dealing with.

My car is a 1974 beetle with a 1600cc engine. Carb is a 34 I believe
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug won't start Reply with quote

I added info to my second post regarding the ignition switch.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug won't start Reply with quote

Calibugboy wrote:
it seems like the car starts running but the second I take pressure off the key the engine dies, regardless of what I do with the accelerator.

Classic symptoms of faulty electrical portion of the ignition switch. Note that there is nothing wrong with the key/tumbler cylinder.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug won't start Reply with quote

Bad Bad bug boy, no double posts about the same thing...Did you think you would get a different set of answers?

Don't feel too terrible, I have done it too... Brick wall
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug won't start Reply with quote

What I would do is to hot wire it. See if it starts. You may have to disassemble the switch. I suspect the rear of the switch has pushed back in its housing. Yes it has happened, so tighten up the switch bet it works.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug won't start Reply with quote

Locking as you already had a thread started yesterday:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660224

Pleae use that one.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: