Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pros and cons of Bay trans in a Split
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Pros and cons of Bay trans in a Split Reply with quote

I'd like to hear from folks who have done this swap. I've seen some serious hacks with this conversion, but I think it could be done cleanly.

My concerns:

Connecting the trans mount at the frame horns to the trans.

Will the nosecone and shift selector hook up correctly to the shift rod?

Would I get stock height, full suspension travel with Bay CV's and not rub the CV boots to dust in a 1000 miles?

Would I be better off using T1 trans with Thing stubs and axles?

My goal is stock height, IRS, with the ability to be able to swap a trans on the road, if needed, without it being a complete shit-show.

I don't want reduction boxes.

Thanks!
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of Bay trans in a Split Reply with quote

You will need to cut out the rear suspension and either weld it forward or weld in the post-1967 suspension. Then the longer post-1967 transaxle will fit in fine, so the engine will not end up sticking out the rear, and rear wheels farther back in the rear wheel wells.

Personally the RGBs are fine if you are not going to enter to win a Le Mans like race that is mostly curves. Adding anti-sway bars and running correct tires make a huge difference in handling, and especially in side winds.

Bonus with RGBs is when 30,000 mile lube change you just pull four drain plugs and refill the gear oil. With CV jointed suspension you have to drain two plugs, take each of the four joints apart and each of the two axles out for inspection of bearings and repacking of grease.
63single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of Bay trans in a Split Reply with quote

We have lots of things consider.

1. what do you like for a cruise RPM? A early 002 bus box has a 5.37 R/P
2. If you have a bus box built you could have a Berg 600 installed and it will bolt in (with the berg mounts)
Here is a shot of mine back in 2004. I'm still running all the same gear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of Bay trans in a Split Reply with quote

Super clean work! Looks like you have a bit of a tranny raise going on? I want to be at stock height or really close to it.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of Bay trans in a Split Reply with quote

Nope just the berg mounts for a 002.
The only reason I went with a bus box is so I could use my truck as it should to carry heavy loads.
To make a simple change I would go with a IRS box with a 4.12 and thing flanges (or aftermarket 100mm flanges)
The parts are cheaper and easy to find. like anything most parts are getting hard to in decent quality so you might as well make it easy on yourself.
Boots like this are people feel are the best now for things.

http://www.t3technique.com/new-stuff/rockford-100mm-cv-boot.html
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of Bay trans in a Split Reply with quote

I have the entire section from a 68 missing the torsion bars and plates. PM me if interested.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pros and cons of Bay trans in a Split Reply with quote

63single wrote:
Nope just the berg mounts for a 002.
The only reason I went with a bus box is so I could use my truck as it should to carry heavy loads.
To make a simple change I would go with a IRS box with a 4.12 and thing flanges (or aftermarket 100mm flanges)
The parts are cheaper and easy to find. like anything most parts are getting hard to in decent quality so you might as well make it easy on yourself.
Boots like this are people feel are the best now for things.

http://www.t3technique.com/new-stuff/rockford-100mm-cv-boot.html

Thanks for the info. I completely forgot about the Berg mount for that trans.

I think I'm going to go with the T1 trans and have it geared and rebuilt locally. We have a good trans guy in Colorado Springs. I'd like to keep it simple and be able to swap it out if I'm on the road. I think I can get the height I'm looking for with the bigger CV's.
Colorado Springs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: