Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stranded in Morro Bay (Home now)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Stranded in Morro Bay (Home now) Reply with quote

Anyone in the area from Aires Rescue or reputable members here in morro bay. It's 2:20 on Friday and driving down hwy 1 when all of a sudden the bus made cluttering sound and I pulled off the highway at exit Morro Bay Blvd. the clattering sounds like valves. Anyone can reach me or close by to assist?

Last edited by Convoy on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

Btw type iv 2.0 dual carbs. Valves adjusted to spec. 1000 miles earlier.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

late bay most common catastrophic is a dropped valve seat. Did the power drop off too? Any chance a carb screw fell into a cylinder? You can look at the fan belt to see if it is shredded and maybe you heard it flailing but if there is nothing visual it will probably be a valve seat. Very common. If you pop the valve cover one valve will seem out of place when you turn it over by hand. The only thing other it could be would be if you just gassed up and got some bad gas and it was pinging or the timing changed suddenly like the distributor or points changed.

Sad to say but better prepare for a tow home. AAA Premier has a 1 x 200 mile or 3 x 100 mile tow so if you have that plan like we always recommend here you can get towed home for free since you are only 266 miles from home, and deal with it later. If you don't have that plan you can't buy it on the spot as there is a waiting period so have a buddy in San Clemente come get you on a flat bed or dolly. pull the bus backwards with the rear wheels in the dolly, or remove the drive shafts. Sorry it happened to you. It sure sounds like a classic valve seat failure. Let's hope someone locally can look at it and it is something simpler like a piece of wire or rope got caught in a wheel and you heard it hitting the wheel well.

If I seem less than optimistic - there isn't a lot around Morro Bay - just miles of coast on both sides, at least that is how it used to be. If you start it up and it still does it you should be able to use a long screwdriver or stick to listen to the engine thru to see which side the sound is loudest. If you have AAA Premier don't give up a 100 mile tow being towed 10 miles into town because you may need that 100 mile tow as part of getting home.

Last edited by SGKent on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

You can also try turning the engine by hand with a wrench on the alternator nut through 4 full turns, any clunking or binding aside from the springy compression resistance?, does the compression feel the same through all 4 turns?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

There was an air cooled shop near Atascadero or Paso Robles. I cannot vouch for them; they might not deal with Type 4 engines. You will need to do a Google search, but I know they are right on 101.

I am about two and a half hours east from Morro Bay. If you're bad off and need to do an engine swap, PM me. I can arrange for un-fenced off-street level work area and I also have a at least one pre-1979 2.0 fuel injected engine and probably enough chunks of most everything else to cobble you back together, if need be. I can support you with most tools and supplies.

I can also arrange to flatbed transport.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

Convoy wrote:
Anyone in the area from Aires Rescue or reputable members here in morro bay. It's 2:20 on Friday and driving down hwy 1 when all of a sudden the bus made cluttering sound and I pulled off the highway at exit Morro Bay Blvd. the clattering sounds like valves. Anyone can reach me or close by to assist?

Pull both valve covers and looks for a valve adjustment screw that has backed out. Once a screw backs out far enough to hit the valve cover it will make an awful noise.
ninjaorgtfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

I believe I saw a place with a nicely restored bus in San Luis Obispo. Not sure if they can help you, but its worth a shot. Good luck, keep your head up.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

...in the late 80s...was driving back from The Sunshine State to NY in a nice '71 Westy and on I95, we threw a rod... bought a case of oil and hobbled back to a VW dealer... long story short, they wanted $4K to rebuild the 1600 sp and we couldn't afford that... we rented a small Pontiac from Hertz and gave our bus to one of the mechanics and went home...

... here's that same bus on vacation in Canada, the summer before...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

Westy Works in SLO is closed sat&sun and that is the only shop i know of
but, call GoWesty also in SLO in the morning as i believe their parts department may be open and possibly recommend someone

Westy Works repairs alot of the vehicles that Go-Westy used to repair
805-549-0100

SLO is only 13 miles north from you.
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Currently my wife are now in Santa Barbara heading south. Not sure what it was?? Started it back up and clack clack clack so turned it back off. Then when we found a place to store it overnight I started back up for the third time and it purr'd. No sign of clack clack. Gave it a few revs and still no sign of clack clack knock. Now we are traveling along the 101 and keeping a sign on all the vitals. Once We are safely back home I investigate further.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

How is your shifting?

Just reaching out here, but maybe one of the clips on the throw-out bearing broke.

And, getting back to the engine... did you feel a loss of power?
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

Well back home without an issue after driving over 250 miles after it occurred.

However When it did occur it popped and felt like a few firing misses occurred inconjunction with the knocking/clicking. Weirdest thing as it sounded internal and had a more dense sound unlike a valve but more rod sounding. The power loss wasn't really noticeable almost like fuel starvation feeling.
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

And to add it ran like a finely tuned 2.0 for the entire trip afterwards. No miss, ping, clatter, knock. No nothing.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

First - thank God you are home.

Second - some things are hard to explain. I can't imagine a piece carbon or ice causing the issue but I guess strange things happen. T4 engines are very prone to loosening valve seats. A valve seat can slip loose from the head being hot, cause a backfire and loss of power then slip back in and last another 1000 miles. When you get refreshed, pull the valve covers and check the valves again. Make sure one is not a little more off than the others.

Really glad you got home - it was on my mind. A seat can sit in place for thousands of miles loose, then slip out, turn sideways, fracture and go thru a piston.

Likewise a piece of carbon can sound like someone tossed marbles into the engine. If you have hydraulic lifters one may have gotten a piece of debris in it and collapsed for a minute.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

Convoy wrote:
And to add it ran like a finely tuned 2.0 for the entire trip afterwards. No miss, ping, clatter, knock. No nothing.

Do you have solid lifters or hydraulics?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay Reply with quote

Glad you made it home. Its a tougher world out there to find someone who can really work on a car. The franchises have taken the money job (brakes, batteries tires, oil changes) from the independents and left them with the tough jobs that require diagnostic skills.

..and,change your thread title!!

Very Happy
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay (home now) Reply with quote

Solid lifters

Last edited by Convoy on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay (home now) Reply with quote

Solid lifters. I'll verify valve clearance later this week and report back and also of my findings as I may dig deeper at a later date.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay (Home now) Reply with quote

Look in your carbs to see if all the butterfly screws are still there as it sounds like a small screw went through the motor and it finally either passed out the exhaust port or embedded itself in the head or piston.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stranded in Morro Bay (Home now) Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Look in your carbs to see if all the butterfly screws are still there as it sounds like a small screw went through the motor and it finally either passed out the exhaust port or embedded itself in the head or piston.

That would be my guess-- square deal niel built an engine that had a spitzer tube stuck in the intake- wow -- what a racket- Kenny to the rescue just reved it up and it ran like a top-- so ya- check the carbs for missing parts.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: