Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so!
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

Bought a new set of Bosch spark plug wires yesterday and was told they won't be available in the near future, as they had heard that Bosch was bought out, is going out of business, and parts are being discontinued.

Oh, man...

Has anybody heard if this is true?

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:
Bought a new set of Bosch spark plug wires yesterday and was told they won't be available in the near future, as they had heard that Bosch was bought out, is going out of business, and parts are being discontinued.

Oh, man...

Best,

Thom

i dont think so... according to wikipedia, bosch is the largest supplier of automotive parts... and i see lots of bosch components in my fairly new car...
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

bosch is getting out of manufacturing parts for our ~50 year old cars.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

I haven't tried to buy any spark plug wire kits lately but I have seen multiple posts from other members that Bosch no longer makes Spark Plug Wires for our cars, as well as tons of other parts.

Quote:

So yes - This.

Not completely going out of business.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

So. What's everyone running to replace Bosch? Any quality components still out there?
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
So. What's everyone running to replace Bosch? Any quality components still out there?

I use NGK plugs, electronic points module, beru plug wires
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

Bosch is not going out of business. They've been discontinuing parts for years. They stopped making condensers for the 36hp Beetle years ago, Then they stopped making points for them. They discontinued the 09 001 wires this years.

Bremi and Beru are still making parts so don't worry.... yet.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

the only bosh stuff I buy are sparking bolts.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

I ordered the new spark plug wires by mistake thinking they were the same but they are all one piece molded at the plug end. They did not even come close to fitting the molded in dust cap leaves about a 1/2 gap all the way around. Anyone know a supplier that still has the 09 001 plug wires?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Anyone know a supplier that still has the 09 001 plug wires?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=bosch+09001&_sacat=0

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

I keep hoping I will find a set for $15 or $20 in some store! What about the AA Performance
Manufacturer Part Number 09001M ?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

The quality and even availability of ordinary tuneup parts is why I have been slowly updating aspects of my ACVWs to avoid these problems.

Thus, my type-3 no longer has a distributor, carbs or 40 year old FI gear.
It now has a fan mounted trigger wheel driving a megasquirt ECU and an IGN4 coil-pack running in wasted spark mode and modern injectors.

The original generator has been replaced with an internally regulated alternator.

I am also replacing the stock fuse-block with a modern holder that accepts ATC/ATO fuses.

When the beam needed to be rebuilt, none of the aftermarket or used bushings and bearings were acceptable. So I found a source for the outter needle bearing and had new inner bushings made from bronze.

I like my old car, but not if I have to rely on 40-year old parts and the declining quality of reproduction junk.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

67jason wrote:

Is it because we are the only ones pestering a German company for made in Germany parts?

I'm referencing recent "Made in China" Bosch parts...

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

I don't think so...

There is the bosch classic line, and for instance they recently introduced the classic look solid state voltage regulators..made in germany

http://www.bosch-automotive-tradition.com/en/inter...age_3.html
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

OK - Well this makes sense as to why a 2 minute order to get some plug wires ended up being a 1 hour ordeal. I got some STI brand that I had used in the past. I feel they are nicer than the cheaper "right angle" bosch wires that I had bought once or twice.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch going out of business? Say it ain't so! Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:

Oh, man...

Best,

Thom

Thom, like any other business it's dollars and cents, when demand falls off they suspend and then cease production and they've been doing this for years. I remember a time in the 70s and 80s when they made very high quality ignition components but they outsourced this and quality suffered. They probably didn't give two shits until sales dropped off to a point where they could not justify making them any longer. Bosch has diversified and makes many other consumer products and commercial as well. On the consumer side you'll see power tools and home appliances.,washer ,dryers,dishwashers etc. screw Bosch they are just another multinational company which goes where labor is cheap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: