Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 VW Bus Dash Blinker bulbs not working when engine is ON
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jocabot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: 1970 VW Bus Dash Blinker bulbs not working when engine is ON Reply with quote

Hi, I need some help to figure out how to fix this issue. My turn signal indicators do not work when ignition is on On or Start position.

The only way to make them work is with the emergency flasher switch engaged and ignition switch at off. As soon as I turn the key to On position, the blinker bulbs stop working...

I did not have this problem before I changed the flasher relay. However, I wired everything as required (see: http://www.netlink.net/mp/volks/schem/flash6a.gif). See this page for more info: http://www.netlink.net/mp/volks/htm/signals.htm
This is the 4-prong relay I've installed: VWC-211-953-215-C from cip1.

The dash indicator is currently wired to KBL terminal. Should I try to hook it on 49a ?

Also, pardon my lack of electricity knowledge, but does the dash indicator bulbs have to be wired to the same fuse as terminal 49 is wired to ?

Thanks !
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Dash Blinker bulbs not working when engine is ON Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

49 = white wire on (+) terminal on the hazard switch
31 = brown ground wire hooked behind instrument panel
49a = Blue turn signal wire
P = blue/red wire to dash indicator lights

jocabot wrote:
Hi, I need some help to figure out how to fix this issue. My turn signal indicators do not work when ignition is on On or Start position.

The only way to make them work is with the emergency flasher switch engaged and ignition switch at off. As soon as I turn the key to On position, the blinker bulbs stop working...

I did not have this problem before I changed the flasher relay. However, I wired everything as required (see: http://www.netlink.net/mp/volks/schem/flash6a.gif). See this page for more info: http://www.netlink.net/mp/volks/htm/signals.htm
This is the 4-prong relay I've installed: VWC-211-953-215-C from cip1.

The dash indicator is currently wired to KBL terminal. Should I try to hook it on 49a ?

Also, pardon my lack of electricity knowledge, but does the dash indicator bulbs have to be wired to the same fuse as terminal 49 is wired to ?

Thanks !

First make sure all the lights on the outside are working.
Check your fuses and give them a spin.

Quote:
The dash indicator is currently wired to KBL terminal.
This is right. Leave it where it is.

This is the circuit
click on pic

Take a look at this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=

Good luck
Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Dash Blinker bulbs not working when engine is ON Reply with quote

The dash indicator bulbs for turn signal are supplied power all the time that the key is on from the same wire that powers the oil & gen warning lights (black wire running to back of the instrument cluster). They are intermittently grounded by the flasher relay to make them flash. There is a small black wire from fuse 4 that powers the turn signal, oil, and gen lights. This is the same fuse as the green wire that goes to 15 on the flasher switch

The blue wire to the indicator bulbs is supposed to be wired to KBL on the flasher relay.

Take the wire off KBL on the flasher relay and ground it, then turn ignition on. The turn signal indicators should light up steady.

If they do, make sure your new flasher relay has a good ground off of terminal 31.
jocabot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Dash Blinker bulbs not working when engine is ON Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash.

Lights on the outside are working, all fuses are new and properly seated in fuse box.

The only difference I see on the circuit is that my 31 terminal is simply grounded individually to a bolt on the chassis. Could it make a difference if I ground it together with the brown ground wire coming from the instrument cluster ?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Dash Blinker bulbs not working when engine is ON Reply with quote

It shouldn't matter where it is grounded as long as it's grounded but you may want to put a meter on that bolt and make sure there is actually a grounded path there.
jocabot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Dash Blinker bulbs not working when engine is ON Reply with quote

@sjbartnik: I've tried that : "
Take the wire off KBL on the flasher relay and ground it, then turn ignition on. The turn signal indicators should light up steady. "

The turn signal indicators effectively light up.

Also, I've taken a pic of the actual relay I have, and the circuit seems to be different than the generic pic taken from cip1's website.:

I have limited knowledge of electrical diagrams, but it appears to me that the only terminal which goes on and off when the flashers are on is 49a. Should I try and hook the blue/red wire to dash indicator lights on 49a together with the Blue turn signal wire ?

Thanks again!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Dash Blinker bulbs not working when engine is ON Reply with quote

So what about terminal K1 on your relay? Is that what you're referring to as "KBL"? You simply MUST have a terminal that goes to ground intermittantly. If your relay doesn't do that, then it is the wrong relay for your bus.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
jocabot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 VW Bus Dash Blinker bulbs not working when engine is ON Reply with quote

Problem solved!

I've connected the blue/red wire to the 49a along with the blue wire, using a y-splitter connector. It works perfectly now!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: