Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zenith Carb
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

dan, I'm working on the idle jet o-rings.
be back this evening
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

i spoke with two zenith experts and they both said "no o-rings" on idle jets.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Yeah, kind of figured it out. I guess the only o rings in the Zenith go on the Pump Jets.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Zenith carb installed on the 1776 engine in my Class 11"x" Bug

just made this support / brace for the carb...(this is what you do with.......to much time on your hands).

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

I have a problem with mine . The squriter on the left is N Op right side great
Where do I start , the top part is ok I jet and sqr is clear . Can this be fix on the car or do I have to take the carb off and start all over with soaking ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Question......PILOT JET & IDLE JET, same thing ?? WHAT size IDLE JET do you have ??..........THANKS..( my mixture screws are only 1/2 - 3/4 turns out ???????

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug

Motor = electric

www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XxonValdez wrote:
Removed my crossbar, took it a step further and ground it down, then plugged the vent holes with JB weld and ground/sanded smooth. Then Tapped the plug above the accel pump with 1/4 NPT and place a barb fitting in to vent into the airfilter. The vent hole on the other side only vents the choke/cold start circuit which I don't use (have a block off plate on it anyway), cant wait ti see how it does...

next is figure out how to make an air filter assembly to make this work Twisted Evil ...got these out of the classifieds, came off an old porsche racing motor.

This is very cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Something many don't realize about the Zenith carb is that the crossbar in the throat is the float bowl vent. It has a pipe thread in it, so a fitting can be screwed in and a vent hose added. It makes for excellent offroad float bowl venting.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Something many don't realize about the Zenith carb is that the crossbar in the throat is the float bowl vent. It has a pipe thread in it, so a fitting can be screwed in and a vent hose added. It makes for excellent offroad float bowl venting.

Originally was an off road carb. Was used in several military vehicles. A vent was screwed into the top to keep fuel from sloshing. Probably the most famous application was the 36 NDIX used in the Pinzgauer. The 36 with 28mm vents fed a 2.5 liter four banger. I road in a Pinzgauer in the Upper Pininsula of Michigan.not the fastest vehicle around, but man alive...the hills that thing could climb!!! Never missed a beat, ran smooth as butter. You would swear it was fuel injected. Shocked

Link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Not sure I agree that it was originally used in offroad vehicles.

Pinzgauer...
Quote:
The vehicle was originally developed in the late 1960s and manufactured by Steyr-Daimler-Puch[2][3] of Graz, Austria
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_High-Mobility_All-Terrain_Vehicle

Porsche used the Zenith NDIX carbs in the 356 series and Spyders in the 1950s, often as dual carbs, long before the Pinzgauer was invented. Good float bowl venting without spillage into the throat is important also for sports cars that go around corners at high Gs.

I consider the Zenith carb to be one that is badly dissed by many modern VW guys. For some reason they just don't get the respect that a Weber receives.

True...I myself won a Championship with my buggy and the engine I built using a 'dare to be different' Weber 40DCNF, more crisp than my partner's otherwise nearly identical engine also built by me using a Zenith set up by then Zenith master Tom Coy of Speed Unlimited. Coy also set up the Zenith for Malcolm Smith's win-everything Scott McKenzie Prepped Funco. He was the Go-To guy for Zenith carbs that nearly everybody racing VWs offroad used in their race car (except limited class racers), and most of their pre-runners and a great many other play cars too.

I found the Zenith as set up by Coy tended to be too fat on accel, as was typical of most all of the offroad racers running Zeniths. I leaned it out in accel, and it then ran very nearly as crisp as my Weber carbed motor.

You could always tell a Zenith carbed offroad race car by watching it through a rough section. Each point of acceleration was marked by a puff of black smoke out the upward pointed TriMil (no mufflers or spark arrestors back in the 70s).
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member

Last edited by dustymojave on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Pinzgauer was just the most popular off road use of the NDIX. The 38 NDIX was used on old school flat head engines well before the 32 NDIX replaced the dual Solex single barrels on the Porsche 356. Wink

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

By the way... if anyone else wants to encourage EMPI to reintroduce the NDIX line of carbs, shoot off a message. I have been poking them for a few years now. I suggested the 32 and 36. But the 38 could be an option for larger engines. I keep hoping they would bring them back. I'm sure they could make a great clone judging by what they have done with the IDF and IDA carbs. Cool

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Pinzgauer was just the most popular FACTORY equipped off road use of the NDIX. The 38 NDIX was used on old school flat head engines well before the 32 NDIX replaced the dual Solex single barrels on the Porsche 356. Wink

Cool
SoCalBajas Member
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

On reflection, I had the thought that perhaps the Zenith never got the respect of a Weber because they are cast in Zinc, rather than aluminum, like the Weber.

So with that thought in mind, maybe it would be good for repro EMPI-Zeniths to be cast in aluminum?
SoCalBajas Member
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

"extended bowl-vent" on my ZENITH 32NDIX

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug

Motor = electric

www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
On reflection, I had the thought that perhaps the Zenith never got the respect of a Weber because they are cast in Zinc, rather than aluminum, like the Weber.

So with that thought in mind, maybe it would be good for repro EMPI-Zeniths to be cast in aluminum?

Aluminum would be fine as long as they do something about the throttle shaft wear issue...proper bearings. The original zeniths had iron throttle bodies and what appeared to be hard chromed brass throttle shafts. Maybe not all were that way, but the 36 I had my hands in last year definetly had a chrome plating in the throttle shaft. Maybe they could use a needle bearing in the reproductions...similar to many performance Weber carbs. Maybe they could also offer a vacuum port for vacuum advance...not sure the NDIX ever came with that in any configuration.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Ok so going to try the Zeniths as Duals on my 1679cc VW engine. I have several Zenith NDIX 32 carbs some P010 and some from the Porsche's so first I will try the Porsche bases that don't have the crossover path between barrels on the base and I want to run them setup without chokes just like I had them on the 356's. But I am not sure which top's to use. I have some with this vent tube on them and another set that does not. Does anyone know it's function and if it is needed or not.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Ok found what I was looking for buried in this PDF: http://lotsoc.com/dkw/Technical/Carb-Manuals/DKW%20Special%20Carburetor%20Publication.pdf
Page 35, the brass vented tube is called a "Capacity Tube". It fills with gas that empties when the choke is set to cold start providing a extremely rich mixture at first. I never knew this about these Zeniths. It explains why the single zenith configuration really sooted up my engine as I was trying to start it several times in a row. Better to start cranking then adjust the choke while continuing to crank till she starts.
So I won't need them for the Porsche (No choke) rather (No enrichment) configuration of these Zenith 32's.
Video of it running is posted on my thread Here.
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Recently I scored a nice Zenith setup at a show and have disassembled it and its soaking in some carb cleaner. Now for setting it for my altitude (5000 feet) does anyone have any suggestions? This is on a single port 1600. I currently have...
Main 115
Air correction 180
Pilot/Idle 60

I think the main is fine but the other two is what i'm thinking need changed. Any suggestions welcome!

For the choke, do I just need to run a cable somewhere? With how cold it gets here I figure I should leave it?
Currently I have a 009 dizzy, which I know isnt the best, so what should I look at getting?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

If that Zenith has the choke arm on the kind of round choke housing on the side facing you as you stand behind the car, then just a cable will give you a functioning choke.

Unlike most old school American cars with manual chokes where the "Choke" is a butterfly in the top of the carb throat to choke down how much air can pass in order to achieve a richer air/fuel ratio needed for a cold start engine, the choke on the Zenith works by adding fuel into the air stream to get the richer mixture.
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: