Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

is this 1966 13 window worth its price
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

I come to the experts at the samba for some sound advice.

What do you guys think? Worth 7k? Maybe i can bargain a little but it doesn't sound like it.

No engine, basically what you see is what you get. Never hit, No rust. Solid over all.

Thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

Yes.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

looks good, but it will take a lot to turn that back into a deluxe. What do you have in mind for it?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

are you sure thats a deluxe? I see the clock hole on the dash but im not sure if its a deluxe model.

My plans would be to slowly restore and just make it into a nice weekend driver.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

Probably. It looks like something is going on with the cargo rocker. There appears to possibly be some bondo in the driver's rocker area but it could be an illusion. Also, the deluxe trim holes have been filled for some reason. It looks pretty solid though. I would go over it with a magnet to see how much filler is in it.

Are they selling the 21 too?
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Probably. It looks like something is going on with the cargo rocker. There appears to possibly be some bondo in the driver's rocker area but it could be an illusion. Also, the deluxe trim holes have been filled for some reason. It looks pretty solid though.

Are they selling the 21 too?

Thats what threw me off, no holes for the trim. I just texted asking about that.

Not selling the 21, he bought that and wants to get rid of this 13.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

Seller confirmed some of the trim holes were filled Evil or Very Mad
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
Seller confirmed some of the trim holes were filled Evil or Very Mad

"Trim holes filled" = lazy bodyshop = What else were they to lazy to do...
Question

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

the driver's side rear wheel well opening lip is badly shaped by bondo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

The entire front clip doesn't look right to me. I don't think I would agree with the " no major work done"
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

Yep. That would be a deal. I'm already way past 7k into mine. And it wasn't super rusty. Just double check the work and make sure they've welded in new metal instead of slathering over the rust with bondo.

TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
the driver's side rear wheel well opening lip is badly shaped by bondo.

Great eye and this is why I post on this wonderful forum. You are absolutely correct that lip does not look right.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
looks good, but it will take a lot to turn that back into a deluxe. What do you have in mind for it?

This ^

Deluxe bus' will nickel and dime you to the poor house. Tons of little bits, tons of little trim. If you're wanting to make that a stock beauty, that would be expensive. Camper with a random interior is another thing.

I'd almost prefer a rust bucket so I know what it really needs and not something some random dude with a blowtorch has cobbled together. Not saying that's what this.
55samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

You need to look at it in person.

1. Look at the shadows where the nose meets the windshield. That is off.
2. Look at the dents in the inner nose kick panel under the left headlight. Bent up like when something hit it.
3. Very strange rust on the front inner heater tube seams. Something happened to the nose or it was replaced I suspect.
4. Cargo doors look to have rust on bottom
5. Right front dog leg does not line up with the b-pillar
6. Long panel looks strange to me
7. I think someone pointed out the left rear fender seems off.
8. Actually looking at the nose photo under the long panel the nose looks to have been replaced. Look at what appear to be drill holes along the side seams and the bad fit to the windshield. No deluxe trim holes on either side...

Honestly it does not look horrible but definitely not pristine. $7K, not for me, you?
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: is this 1966 13 window worth its price Reply with quote

thank you guys for taking the time out and replying. I think 5k is more reasonable for this thing. 7k is pushing it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: