Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Yes it is, but it would be better to get a nice hinge and reweld it into the door. Either way you will end up paint matching so might as well have a hinge with solid fingers
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Yes it is, but it would be better to get a nice hinge and reweld it into the door. Either way you will end up paint matching so might as well have a hinge with solid fingers

So it just welds into the inside of the door. I have to find one. Maybe I'll put up a want ad, or if someone has one they'd sell PM me!
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
sled wrote:

So it just welds into the inside of the door. I have to find one. Maybe I'll put up a want ad, or if someone has one they'd sell PM me!

I think they are actually press fit or secured with a type of rivet. Either way they are really hard to find. I looked a long time for one until this guy popped up with some NOS ones:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1862836

Wrong year for you but what your looking for.
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Chris Paterson wrote:
sled wrote:

I think they are actually press fit or secured with a type of rivet. Either way they are really hard to find. I looked a long time for one until this guy popped up with some NOS ones:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1862836

Wrong year for you but what your looking for.

I saw that one, would be nice if it was correct for my bus! I'm sure someone has a junk cargo door they'd be willing to sell me. I put up a wanted ad and I'll just wait and watch.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Could you just replace the hinge pin and ignore the broken finger? At least that would make it relatively functional, and you could skip blending the paint.
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Could you just replace the hinge pin and ignore the broken finger? At least that would make it relatively functional, and you could skip blending the paint.

That's a thought. I can tell the pin is rusted in there though so it would involve drilling it out, most likely. That's how I'm assuming the fingers broke on it in the first place. But then again, if I mess it up I could just go back to the other plan and I don't lose anything.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
campingbox wrote:

That's a thought. I can tell the pin is rusted in there though so it would involve drilling it out, most likely. That's how I'm assuming the fingers broke on it in the first place. But then again, if I mess it up I could just go back to the other plan and I don't lose anything.
You could remover the hinge half from the bus, wrap a wet rag around it, leaving only the finger exposed and heat it with a torch and drive the pin out. Drilling it out would be a PITA.

You will have to remove the hinge to replace it, so might as well get those 2 screws out.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

many years back there was a PGSG '58 from Alaska for sale here in Oklahoma too @ $1500... shouldda' bought it... had to do a double take with yours... real nice... Enjoy.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Working on the little details

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Here's my middle seat mounting clamp I guess

Boy that's disappointing!

I took the window frame off the passenger side because there was no vertical divider and the window wouldn't slide. So I bought a couple dividers and painted them and got the seal etc. It turns out regular felts were used on the bottom instead of sigla and that's why it wouldn't slide.

More surprisingly, there was not one single bolt or screw in the whole window frame holding it on! So no front or side m8 bolts. No m8 screws in the back and no m6 nuts holding the frame on. Fortunately I had the bolts and screws lying around, even the wavy washers.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

What is the source for sigla felts these days?
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
What is the source for sigla felts these days?

Ronnie carries them: http://www.bustoration.com/Felt-Channel-Bottom-Only-PAIR-for-Sigla-laminated-glass-B16_p_1200.html
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
Here's my middle seat mounting clamp I guess

Boy that's disappointing!

I feel like your comment indicates you know this but:
That is Brazilian garbage. Smile

Check out the Middle Seat thread for the right stuff
Or spoiler:

(Painted black though)
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I feel like your comment indicates you know this but:
That is Brazilian garbage. Smile

Yes I know. I've been buying up original seat hardware. Thanks for the link. I was more intrigued by the ingenious bolt and nut configuration and how that somehow held the seat down to the floor slots.
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Yes all 4!

But interestingly, the two silverish ones say 3a and 3b the other two do not. What does it mean?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

I've noticed they have different codes like that but haven't kept track.

I figured they were production codes of some sort.

In the photo I posted above, it looks like some of them say 3c too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I think I won't get too crazy about having matchy matchy. It might knock down the value of the bus a bit... but it's a compromise I'm willing to make for expediency.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
EverettB wrote:

I think I won't get too crazy about having matchy matchy. It might knock down the value of the bus a bit... but it's a compromise I'm willing to make for expediency.

Haha, I thought about telling you you better get matching ones but I don't think they matched on original Buses either.
I'm pretty sure the ones I pposted above are all from the same Bus since they all have the same sort of blue overspray on them.
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Got these og paint wheels and I'm pretty excited about it! (No they're not date matched, I was just happy to have original paint PGSG wheels)

The neighbors listed their house for sale and we bought it. We've been renting in this neighborhood that we love and we were sad when our landlord wouldn't sell the place to us. Anyway this sort of derailed my plans on things for this bus!

Here's me moving

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Congrats on the house purchase, being next door makes it easier! The wheels look great. Damn, two og paint pgsg's?? Let me know if you get tired of all that green, I can take one off your hands! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: