Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away..
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

So a few months back we drove over 2000 miles to pick up a rusty soup can of a truck that had been left to rot away in Missouri. It had no tittle and many years of rust and decay had left this poor truck in a bad way. I will continue to post pictures in this thread to show the progress of this build. Here are some teasers..

2.0L Turbocharged Subaru powered Mid-Engined
Water to Air intercooler
Belly Mounted Aluminum Radiator
Haltech Standalone EFI
Tig welded Square Tube Chassis
Double Wishbone Front Suspension
Double Wishbone Rear Suspension
Coil over shocks all 4 corners
Disk Brakes all 4 corners
Front Sway Bar
Power steering
Hidden Vintage Air HVAC
Custom Aluminum Fuel Tank
Complete Body Restoration (LOTS & LOTS OF GREEN PANELS!!)
Virtually stock exterior
Two Tone Gray & Gunmetal paint

I have done several resto-mods and the key to success has been making them look virtually stock from the outside. As with all builds its ALWAYS in the details so let’s see where this ends up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

I am looking forward to following your build thread. I like when someone does something outside the box. It looks like a great project.
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

More work on the chassis. Most of the heavy fab done on the frame. Control arms and the rest of the suspension is next.

joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

I do not see class A motor home on that list, but you built the frame to support one! Sure that thing doesn't deserve a diesel pusher?
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Joe,

Its really not much more structure than what was there in a factory SC. The square tube is all 12ga same as what the stock C channel is. Most of this is 2"x3" to closely resemble stock more so the stock sheet metal goes over and all references fairly similarly. I did beef up the bottom side a little with the 2"x6" but the engine I have built for it is setup to put out around 330Rwhp so I do want some strength over what the stock chassis provides. My tubing order weight in at a little over 400lbs I'm not sure what a stock chassis weights in at and I cant go by the one I have as 3/4 of it is still back in Missouri in the rust piles. I would say I left 50lbs of steel used so I'm guessing My new chassis will only be just a little more than stock.

joe cool wrote:
I do not see class A motor home on that list, but you built the frame to support one! Sure that thing doesn't deserve a diesel pusher?
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

I will take your word for it on the pounds of steel used, but it sure looks a lot more steel than a stock bus frame.
What I don't see is the torsion bar tube. What's going on there?
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Joe,

No torsion tube here. I am going with a double a arm setup. Maybe an a arm lower and dogbone upper just have to see how wide I can go with the lower control arm and go from there.

joe cool wrote:
I will take your word for it on the pounds of steel used, but it sure looks a lot more steel than a stock bus frame.
What I don't see is the torsion bar tube. What's going on there?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Buh buh buh buh baddd to the bone is what I see.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

What a re-tarted idea, a mid-engine split truck! Shocked

Looks like a great start: what are the build performance and use goals?
This centrally located motive mass thing appears to be catching on!
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Even rusty piles need to be turned into something,

Frame looks like it could hold 10,000 pound axles, I wonder what the weight is at this point in the build.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Embarassed With that power- I don't think weight will be an issue-- suspension-brakes- thats another question- be interesting to to see how center weighted chassis behaves.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

This is going to be fun to watch. Although, in the resto-mod theme, I can sure see this truck fooling more of us in Turquoise or SWR- not two tone w/metallic. Cool

If I'm seeing this correctly- it looks like you will still be able to retain treasure chests and doors, no?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Yes Double treasure chest doors and will be functional. The mid engine really only takes up the space where the stock fuel tank was so Its not a loss of space.

Brakes- AirKewld drilled rotors and 4 piston wilwood calipers in the front, Empi drilled rotors and wilwood 4 piston in the rear.

Truck will be used as a truck as well as a show piece. I have built several cars for customers and finally building something for me..

As build is going forward some changes to the build

Aluminum fuel tank belly mounted
Side pod style radiators with under ducting from belly
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Looking forward to this one. Can you please show us a pic of the truck before it was pulled from its resting place? I love before and after shots.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:
Truck will be used as a truck as well as a show piece. I have built several cars for customers and finally building something for me..

I know the feeling, It was a great day when I finally drove my Bus. Projects for others always were getting in the way of mine.

Can't wait to see your frame on wheels rolling.

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

So I have been busy working on the truck..

Power rack and bevel box are finished up.
Pedals are close as well as the shifter box.

Not to much of the original truck is left..

brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Wow, Is this all in your head or did you draw or design before starting?

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Brett,

Lots of both.. I did some simple sketches to put the concept together.. LOTS AND LOTS of measuring and planning. I have built a few resto-Mods in the past. One I went WAY overboard with and did 3D CAD drawings of the chassis before I ever bent a piece of tubing..

Here is his webpage. Probably the biggest build I have taken on to date. NOT VW but a few good photos in there.. http://tr250v8.com/

brettsvw wrote:
Wow, Is this all in your head or did you draw or design before starting?
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

i,d be interested in seeing what you started with... sure look like you're not using much of what was there...
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Here are what I have of the before.. The photos don't LOOK that bad.. but the whole entire frame is rotten.. about the bottom 8" of the truck just RUSTED.. Doors in bad shape and an accident on the drivers front had it pretty mamed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: