Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

turn signal and hazard light problem
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

I've been going through this bus that had sat for 20 years, converting it to 12 volts, cleaning contacts, repairing poor crimp repairs and checking the wiring against the factory diagrams..
So far it's been pretty simple, and successful. I've used the Wolfsburg West flasher and hazard relay, and followed their instructions. With the key on, hazards work, turn signals work. Turn the key off, and the 3 wire flasher buzzes. With the key in the off position, if I turn the hazards or turn signal back on, it works and the buzzing stops. Here is a video showing this nonsense:

Link

One clue that I've found watching it:
Key on, hazards on, the big red light flashes out of sync with the turn signal light in the speedometer.
Key off, hazards on, the big red light is flashing WITH the turn signal light..

So, what does it mean? On a whim I disconnected the blue wire that goes from the flasher to the turn signal indicator, and the buzzing stopped, and the flashers work (except the one in the speedo). So, it seems the issue is between the speedometer light and the big red hazard light, but they all go through the hazard relay, and that wiring is according to the diagram. Help please, I've got a damned kink in my neck from trying to look under the dash.

SD
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

I just rewiered the whole turn signal hazard system on my DC

Which year have you got? Its pretty simple with a flasher relay and another 2 contact relay for the hazards as in the '63 USA wiring diagram.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

65 deluxe
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

same relays and wiring as mine then....

so...

the turn signal speedo light comes from your flasher relay.

the big red light comes from the emergency light SWITCH. any of the tabs.

does that help?

try this... as standard the turn signal relay and the hazard relay share power... both from #8 fuse. try giving the hazard relay its own power from a fuse that does not need the ignition to be on, then your hazards will work without the key in which is a good thing in my book. maybe that will stop the buzz???

from what I worked out the hazard and flasher relays work by switching each other on and off as they go... does that make sense? thats why the red light and the turn indicator go opposite to each other...

I guess I may be telling you stuff you already know.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

After a little more work and hunting:
The wires from the turn signal switch all go where they are supposed to. I've traced the wires to and from the turn signal flasher and hazard relay. They connect as the diagram shows (almost, more about that in a minute.)
Here is the diagram I have printed and taped to the inside of the windshield
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and here is the flasher circled

it shows power in, which also then jumps over to the hazard relay. Then there is power out to the signal switch, which also splits to feed the hazard switch
There is a ground, and a terminal for the blue turn signal indicator wire.
On my bus, the blue wire is crimes to the spade connector with wire that goes to the turn signal switch (black-white-green).

The Wolfsburg West flasher has three terminals, a ground, power in, and out.
My connections are as the instructions say, though there is no mention of the blue wire. As it's crimped with the same connection as the power out, they just went together. I'm pretty sure this is where my issue lies. I guess another call to WW is in order tomorrow

Separately, I have a loose wire end, and cannot find where it used to call home, maybe someone can help? To the left of the speedo pod, there is a short all black wire that traces to the interior light switch. It is not the wire with the purple trace that feeds the wiper switch. I've stared and stared at the diagram, and under the dash, but still see no obvious place for it. Ideas?

SD
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

Last time I looked there was not an accurate '65 wiring diagram. Has someone added that one? '65 had some unique things. What is the diagram you are using? Is that the one called "created by bus owner"?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Last time I looked there was not an accurate '65 wiring diagram. Has someone added that one? '65 had some unique things. What is the diagram you are using? Is that the one called "created by bus owner"?

That is the one, I wasn't aware that 65 was specific. But, now it makes sense..
While I'm in the middle of this I'll add what I find to my diagram.. so far there are a few color differences, and other minor things I've found
SD
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

I would say ditch that 3 prong WW relay... and get any 4 prong 12 volt flasher relay. The wire it up as it should be. Thats what I did... and mine all works.

Should be over at the workshop later, will pm you some pics perhaps.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

esde wrote:
With the key on, hazards work, turn signals work. Turn the key off, and the 3 wire flasher buzzes.

The hazard system is supposed to be powered with the key off. Remove the flasher power and try finding a temporary power for the flasher that is "key off" and see if it works. Then report back. Also you shouldn't have to have the turn signal on to make it work.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
esde wrote:
With the key on, hazards work, turn signals work. Turn the key off, and the 3 wire flasher buzzes.

The hazard system is supposed to be powered with the key off. Remove the flasher power and try finding a temporary power for the flasher that is "key off" and see if it works. Then report back. Also you shouldn't have to have the turn signal on to make it work.

the turn signals and hazards work independently of each other, key on or off. I've wondered if moving one of the systems to switched power would do it, as you suggest. I'll do some more digging tonight..
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

1965 turn / brake:

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

esde wrote:
BarryL wrote:
esde wrote:

the turn signals and hazards work independently of each other, key on or off. I've wondered if moving one of the systems to switched power would do it, as you suggest. I'll do some more digging tonight..

So, the turn signal flasher and hazard relay are powered by the same fuse. Separating them and putting the turn signal flasher to switched power made the hazards inoperable with the key off. Fearing that i was about to lose my mind, I moved the 12 volt supply for both off of the far right fuse to the next one in. Checking the circuit with my amp meter shows that I haven't gone over the 15A rating so maybe I'm good? Time will tell, having the key on to use the flashers is a small price to pay for my sanity ….
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

I hope I didn't confuse you. Both signal and emergency should be powered all the time on a '65. You don't want the key on the run the emergency or you could fry your points and severely heat up your coil.

Is yours wired like telford dorr posted and is that the same wiring diagram you already had on your wall?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

Same diagram that he posted. It's still not completely accurate for a (or my) 65. I understand the points issue, and have already have an ignition circuit kill switch. It's not a great permanent solution, but will do for now.
SD
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

ok... so quick question... I have rewired my turn and hazards last night, as the above diagram, to the far right fuse...

But they only work with ignition on. I take it that means my ignition switch is wired up all bad? although looking at ti it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.... its a direct line from the battery.

confused.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
....its a direct line from the battery.

That is the way it should be.

pig-pen wrote:
But they only work with ignition on.

They should work with with the ignition on or off but not be dependent in any way to the ignition.

pig-pen wrote:
I take it that means my ignition switch is wired up all bad?

No. It probably means that the wire that makes the hazard system ground inside the relay is in the wrong place.

What relay are you using?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Same diagram that he posted. It's still not completely accurate for a (or my) 65.

Correct, those are not accurate for '65. For example the speedometer turn indicator base "hot" does not come from the same place as in that schematic and does not continue on to the fuel gauge. None of those diagrams show the emergency dash light, do they?

On a '65 there is a black wire leaving J7 that feeds K3 always on +volts at the base. That, and the flasher bulb wire (which is actually a ground), is all that should be going there.

That buzzing in the video is the relay is shorting the blink mechanism and the sound is it flashing a zillion times a second. Hope it isn't ruined.

Can you post a wiring diagram of the relays you are using?
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

Ok... so all has been good with my reconstructed turn signal / hazard set up... until now...

well, actually a while ago the dash turn signal warning light stopped working. I just thought it was still a 6v bulb... and I need to replace it someday.

then, a few weeks ago when turning ignition off the light went double time and the relay too..clcikclikcclikcckilclclclclclc... really fast. A panicked twiddle of the turn switch and the hazard switch seemed to make it stop. I thought nothing more of it, gremlins or something. But my bulb was obviously ok, but still not working when driving around..

Then, just the other day the bulb did start working... and everything was good... but when I stopped and turned ignition off again the gremlin was back, relay going crazy and light flashing double time. Any use of the turn signals or hazards stopped it, but when all off it came back. I disconnected the bulb wire from the relay. Obviously that stopped it.

A bit of further investigation, pulling the bulb holder out and crudely earthing it to chassis with a wire held onto it resulted in good operation, all fine and correct... so... does this simply mean the bulb holder is not getting a good earth in the speedo?

apologies for the rambling post, had a lot of post work home-brew.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

then, a few weeks ago when turning ignition off the light went double time and the relay too..clcikclikcclikcckilclclclclclc... really fast.

I get that sometimes if I disturb the wiring around the flasher relay. I don't have a hazard switch on my truck, but the rapid flashing seems to be due to a dodgy conductor in one of the wires to the flasher relay. I think that it breaks a connection if I disturb the wire. Normally it's fine.

Try flexing the flasher relay and indicator stalk wires one at a time and see if it does the rapid flashing. If so, that'll be the broken one.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal and hazard light problem Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
..clcikclikcclikcckilclclclclclc... really fast.

That is bad and means there is a direct short to the flasher unit.

pig-pen wrote:
pulling the bulb holder out and crudely earthing it to chassis with a wire held onto it resulted in good operation, all fine and correct... so... does this simply mean the bulb holder is not getting a good earth in the speedo?

Look for where that wiring could be shorting to ground or is the bulb holder shorting to ground.

A short explains no light, rapid click, and removing the holder fixing it points to that area.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: