Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Neil's bubbletop volksrod build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Nice solution, you conquered the problem with a little help from your friends! Cool
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

built risers for bubble frame to hinge connection. kinda overbuilt, but that's the curvy material I had left over from the bubble frame circles I had bent up. if the Cadillac hinges fail I think I might have a beefier set of hinges made up with the same dimensions. the space on the risers between the two strengthening triangles makes for a nice grab handle. plenty of access to fuse box too. frame just held on with clamps now, but plan is to fabricate safari slider type mechanism so front of bubble can pop up for more air flow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

bit more work done today, figured out how to adapt front hood release from a bmw for the bubble release mechanism

once it latched and released ok at the latch itself I had to figure out a way to be able to do so comfortably from both inside and outside the car. this is why the mechanism is offset to driver side, i'll be getting in and out on this side so wanted the safety catch hook accessible without leaning too far over the center. decided one catch was sufficient and did not use the other catch from the bmw.
ended up using stock vw hood pull and stock bmw cable housing and 50" section of 3/8" brake line from autozone cut into 3 pieces and shaped around bubble perimeter and then looped into headlight bucket/torsion housing portion of body.

when you pull the loop section of the brake line forward I side the car, the bubble is released. when you pull the vw hood pull out of the headlight/torsion tube area, the bubble is released. there is enough room to sneak under the bubble frame to release the safety catch from outside and the stock bmw lift handle works inside.

also made slotted bits for safari mechanism, but not installed yet.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Nice work with the hinges. You should try to find a bug convertible hood pull, they have a lock feature. I am really impressed with the work you have been doing on this. Very well done. Applause Applause
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Beefy is better than not strong enough! Looking good! Cool
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I actually was thinking about the convertible hood release but doesn't it have some weird bracketry that goes along with it?

another afternoon and evenings worth of progress

started sorting out 'safari' mechanism

down

up

need to figure out a classier hardware solution for this, maybe oversized wingnuts? or since i'll be driving it a lot I hope I can lock it in the up position with the button head cap screws? not a priority with less than 2 weeks until the end of my sabbatical leave.

did have to clearance the bottom of the bubble frame assembly once it was screwed together because it hit the cowl again, but radiused lower part of peak and now it works great.

gaps pretty good, need to shift it over maybe 1/16" toward driver side by opening up holes in hood pin/catch. had to cut and move the pin bracket up and forward and slightly more towards the center to get the bubble to sit flush in the back. also swapped the stock bmw release spring for a fiat 600 valve spring. still doesn't allow me to get a finger under the frame to lift it so I might add a handle on the outer rim.

plenty of space for steering wheel too

also finally finished inspection cover install

planning to get back to work on dash and other interior odds and ends tomorrow.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Would it be possible to put a threaded hole in between the 2 slotted brackets and use one bar with a wing nut to clamp them down instead of two screws you have now? You would need to put 2 pins in place of the screws you have now to keep the "clamp" in place and stop if from spinning? I'm thinking from an ease-of-use standpoint it would be much easier to just tighten two wing nuts vs 4 bolts.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

It's an excellent idea. Was already thinking about replacing bolts with studs. Those could act to keep the bar aligned. Assemble with some fiber washers and put a small spring behind the central clamping knob and I think that would be perfect. Could look pretty cool too.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I really think you are going to enjoy that extra airflow opportunity. It will also allow you to "crack the window" when parking. Doesn't affect the the profile of the machine either. Very well done, just like everything else you have done. Smile

Two weeks until you are back in harness? Driving it to work on your first day might be a stretch but I'd be betting on you if that was your goal. Cool

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

not really expecting to finish it but damn would it be cool to drive it to work that first day. probably out of the question, lots of little stuff left to do and haven't even finished the body yet.

did get the lower dash corners by the speedo done yesterday. way trickier than you might expect. took several tries to get something I was happy with in the left side. right side was fairly easy after that though.

I'd forgotten that I never finished welding the lower part of the speedo pod until I snapped this picture. its getting pretty crowded in there, might wait until the body comes all the way apart again and I can flip it up for easier access.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

monster day in garage today. pretty much done with everything that is easy to get to on the body now. still haven't patched rocker holes, but not going to worry about that until after the cat comes back apart at some point in the future.

started by finishing dashboard

waiting until wiring installed before deciding on placement of headlight switch and ignition and drilling holes.

also patched up body where 'A' pillars would be.

really happy with it!

also patched up the gaps between where the rear 'hood' met the square tube. (gaps in areas where body lines of hood were raised.)

so its almost assembly time. probably a bit more fabrication on hinges to get the gas struts fitted, have to fit fuse box panel, have to relocate shifter, install transmission, run brake lines, cables, pedals, install motor. doesn't seem too bad really. going back to work sometime between the 8th and 15th, still not sure exactly when.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Looking real good! Cool
mfergel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

Amazing build. Seeing the looks on peoples faces when you drive this around will be so worth it.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

might turn some heads...

well, still not back at work, which means I got more work done, ha.

put parts washer back together after draining it for winter, had to replace a section of hose going from the sump to the pump, but had it laying around because I knew the old one had started leaking and picked up a new one from McMaster at some point in the past. got lucky and it seems to not be leaking now. also had to replace the on off switch since it got crushed when I shoved the washer up against the wall. finally got it working again though and cleaned up the bus nosecone that had been on the mockup trans/engine combo. swapped it onto the new trans with new gaskets and some rtv. used new hockey stick from rancho which was conveniently drilled for the set screw on both top and bottom, so I didn't have to drill the old worn german one.

robbed a heavy duty throw out bearing arm from one of the transmission cores in the basement and got that installed with new brass bushing. had to drill a new locating hole for the bushing, they come drilled in the center lengthwise, which offsets the throw out bearing about 3mm in the case. drilled new hole 3mm offset and now everything lines up perfectly. forgot how fun it is to get return spring on there.

so after that bolted transmission into place.

I used old mounts that are in ok shape. I had them, they aren't cracked, and they should be easy enough to replace on this thing should it ever need to happen.

next thing was relocating shifter. moved stand back about 5" I guess. just eyeballed it first and tacked it together. worked in first location so went ahead and fully welded. swapped type 3 shifter for type 1 shifter. kinda prefer the chrome type 3 with larger boot, but don't have spring for it and looking at height difference between the two it appears to be different. possibly reverse lockout plate too, not sure? had all the t1 stuff though so shifter is in, and gets to all gears without having steering wheel issues.

pulled transmission inspection cover again to trim the accelerator and clutch tubes down to the right length. also safety wired shifter coupling and welded tubes to chassis where they exit.

also thought of a solution to the problem of the bubble not popping high enough to get a finger under it to lift it. made myself a church key out of 8mm rod and drilled a hole into the side of the bubble frame that is only exposed when it is popped up. figure its a nice homage to vw since they used similar style keys for buses to do gas doors, treasure chest doors, decklids. will probably clean it up, weld it to complete the loop, and use it as the key ring too.

was going to get some old drums turned for the back, but none of my local shops wanted anything to do with it. so ordered some new ones and a few other random bits I need to complete the pedal assembly and rear brakes. the stuff wont arrive in time for me to finish before work starts, but its just as well. plenty of other little detailing things to do and don't even have budget for rear tires right now anyways.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

That church key also reminds me of the stock hub-cap puller tool, nice!
Good progress! Cool
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

my jaw drop everytime i see your metal work...

amazing, and smooth, love it!
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

thanks for the kudos, its not nearly as smooth in person, but i'm pretty pleased with how well its turning out.

been working on running wiring harness and brake lines.

had to trim fuse panel piece and drill and tap body to hold it in its home

made lots of tabs to hold wiring harness to body. sides should still be able to be removed without wiring harness getting in the way.

haven't finished with headlight wiring so shrink wrap not yet installed and wires hanging loose for the time being.

got the dash wired up. installed speedo, ignition, and headlight switch on dash. came out nicely. have to get some 12v bulbs for speedo. realized I didn't run a wire for the turn signal indicator light. does that come off the relay or the turn signal switch? been a while...also, does anyone have a lead on a wiring diagram for a late 60s Mercedes? it has 5 wires: (white '56(31),' black/white '124,' black '56(31),' black/green 'R,' black/white/green '54.' I suspect B/W/G is feed to signal just like vw, B/W and B/G signal out to left and right just like vw, but no idea about solid black and white.

also cleaned up church key.

master cylinder and hardlines in place up front.

more tabs holding main line to tunnel.

getting busy behind access panel, t and hardlines installed in the back.
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

installed front calipers.

made turn signal housing on column
first made a tube section with a window in it. tube slips over stock tube because bearing still needs to be able to be serviced and splined adaptor for quick release steering wheel left about a 40mm gap from the back of the hub to the edge of the stock column. plug welded tube to column.

no more exposed steering shaft

first half of turn signal switch housing in place. had to make a flat plate out of 1/8" that had a hole big enough to let the switch go in and out but same outer shape as stock Mercedes switch cover before forming the filler panel that goes between the plate and column extension.

back half done

dash basically done now.

nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

also, can anyone get some dimensions for me for the bracket that holds the gas pedal to the pan? have the bracket, just not sure where to position it in relation to the napoleon hat/firewall and tunnel.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Neil's bubbletop volksrod build Reply with quote

I just made one yesterday. I can measure it if you want when I get to the shop, but its nothing special. Thinking the basic plate is about 1 7/8" x 2 1/4" ish. Bent lip about 3/16 high. You want the pedal tops to be about 8" from the firewall for initial placement with about a 7/8" total slot length for adjustment.

You use the master cylinder pushrod position to find the final position assuming that nobody has changed the pushrod length from factory....God forbid....You all do know that you will get struck by lightening if you do adjust it, right?

I have made the plates from aluminum angle, scrap metal stock or whatever I had laying around. I dunno though....this may be a little challenging for you..... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 23

Jump to: