Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strange Decel Valve?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWGreg77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Strange Decel Valve? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this a strange looking decel valve for a 77 FI Bus? Does it have something to do with altitude adjustment? The ones I've seen in the pictures here and on Ratwell look different. If I bypass the larger diameter disc (the one with the two smaller nipples) and connect the small hose (that goes to the fuel regulator and distributor) directly to the small nipple on the canister with the big hose connectors, RPM jumps about 4-500rpm?

Anyone know what's going on? I'm trying to get rid of the pop, pop deceleration backfiring problem.
VWGreg77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Opps Reply with quote

Opps, I meant to say the small hose that goes to the fuel regulator and plenum
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a pic of that unit installed? looks very odd.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VWGreg77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Photo update Reply with quote

I think it is in the same position as any Decel Valve. The first photo also shows a yellow adjustment screw on the far left. I took the lock nut off (it's lying on the right of the photo) and tried turning it in and out to no avail.
VWGreg77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a picture of an Idle Speed Regulator (and I don't have an automatic transmission bus either) but I'm looking in the Bentley and wonder if that has been coupled with a Decel Valve for some reason...
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an auto trans decel valve. And that molded rubber hose with all the electrical tape on it is auto trans only too.

Most look like this with the adjustment right on the valve and not a separate disc:

I believe the one you have is early in the auto trans run, or CA only, or something. I'll check the fiche.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGreg77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanks,
Is that adjustment screw suppose to do something? Any thoughts on adjusting it?
I don't think my Decel Valve is working as I followed the Bentley and when I snapped off throttle I didn't feel any additional suction at the disconnected hose. There appears to be slight suction at that disconnected hose all the time. But I am very curious as to why my RPM's jump so much if I bypass the larger disk. (dreams of better fuel mileage dancing in my head...) I wonder if it is pulling the diaphram in the fuel regulator allowing more fuel? It seems to me that all three hoses connected to the Decel Valve all create vaccum. The little one to the plenum/fuel regulator is sucking away if I disconnect it. The one from the T tube to the Brake/Plenum would also also have to be sucking air and finally the tube to the S Tube would be trying to draw air all along until you close the throttle.

The bus is running fine, just annoying me with the pop-pop.
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks to me like someone has bodged on a fuel pressure regulator because it looks similar to the auto decel valve.

What are the part numbers on the 2 items?
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pic by Mattcuddy is a common Djet Decel valve and the first posters pic does look like a FPR hooked to valve. Weird...
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWGreg77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part number for the smaller diameter cylinder is 022133551E
the part number for the other is 022133553.

Does anyone have a normal Decel Valve they want to part with???

Still wonder why my RPM's jumped when hooking up only to the smaller diameter fuel-regulator-looking Decel Valve? Anybody...???
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGreg77 wrote:
Still wonder why my RPM's jumped when hooking up only to the smaller diameter fuel-regulator-looking Decel Valve? Anybody...???

I suspect that the larger flying saucer is some sort of vacuum amplifier controlled by the smaller hose that supplies the smaller valve with vacuum from the plenum, maybe it's to counteract a weak vacuum signature? or perhaps an altitude mod as you mentioned. Connecting the smaller valve (fuel pressure regulator looking thing) directly to manifold vacuum likely fools it into thinking it's decelerating and needs to open causing the high idle.

Does manifold vacuum drop with altitude like compression does?, I can't recall ever seeing anything that said it did.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Decel Valve? Reply with quote

Busdaddy or anybody ,first off does anyone have an extra hose for this auto decel valve ? the c shaped hose with the nipple reducer ? and /or does anyone have a " workaround " idea ,I have a idea of my own ,but just want to see if anyone has any tips , seems like this hose is made of unobtanium . Will the manual trans decel valve work on the auto bus . Im the guy with the early mystery fuel injected bus , and this bus originaly had ,and still does have the electric operated decel valve ,if I can get the wiring for it squared away would that Work ? On a final note ,I was doing some visual research and noticed the early vanagon airbox mount looks similar to the oddball early F.I. mount I was dealing with ,any insight here ? thanxz Ben
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Decel Valve? Reply with quote

I have seen that part before for sale....I may be wrong but I think it's for a Toyota. You may have a frankensteined set up. If you can get me the part number of the correct decel valve that you need there is a good chance that I can find you one. As far as the hose goes that is a rare part. Not many automatics around anymore....but I have seen that being sold nos as well. What is wrong with the hose? Is it cracked on the ends? Won't hold tightly without vacuum leaks? The first thing I would do with the hose is scrub the shit out of it with really hot water and dawn with a tooth brush. You will be amazed how much old rubber comes back with enough scrubbing. If the ends are cracked after you get all of the oil out of the rubber you can do a couple of things. Fill the cracks carefully on the inside connections with back rtv after its medicinally clean. Get some heat shrink that is just slightly bigger then the out side diameter for both ends. Cut it long enough that you can cover the out side of the ends and have enough left over that you can fold it inside as well past the cracks. Use a hair dryer and this should help solve the cracked end issue. If you get me the part numbers I will do my best to find you the parts.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Decel Valve? Reply with quote

You can likely get away with this and a short section of smaller diameter hose in the nipple to bring it up to size: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1220031 Or contact him and see if he can build you one.

Another option is a trip to the FLAPS and a look through thier hose selection, someone recently found a facimile of the aircleaner CIS intake hose in the help stuff from some late Dodge, a smaller section stuffed in the end to reduce it may be needed. Krazy glue works well on hoses like that if you can get a good (1"+) overlap on the joint and lots of glue in between.

Слава Україні!
VeeDubb steppin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Strange Decel Valve? Reply with quote

Thanks for the crazy glue tip , I was trying to decide if I should glue /silicone ,or vulcanize ...I did come up with my own workaround,I did almost like you described and have it put together .The nipple broke off the old one ,so I stuffed a smaller hose in it , now will most likely semi vulcanize ,and or Krazy glue it ...I cant remember that c shaped hose number right now I think it was 022 201 919. Thanks for the reply Guys p.s. what would happen if the manual decel valve was used on the auto Bus ,anyone know off hand ?
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange Decel Valve? Reply with quote

PM sent!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: