Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tacky Tiki Bus Projects
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Interesting. I like it. It seems that the bus has a good atmosphere inside of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

I like your creative problem solving! I like how you did the headliner not to need to go under the windshield. That's always been a huge problem with getting a tight fit.

Now I'm thinking of doing the same, but using rope LED lights as a tacking strip. There are many brands you can put a screw through that would make a good way to both hold up the headliner and have tons of great lighting inside.

How is the cloth holding up after all this time?
'74 Super Beetle Convertible (Sold)
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

The fabric is holding up fine. It is a heavier duty upholstery fabric....and I keep the bus covered so the sun isn't shining directly in. The grass mats are holding up okay, except for the "fabric" edges. If we had to do the headliner over again, we would do it in all fabric, but that would be much more expensive if you had to buy fabric new.

Thanks for the compliment. All of the TTB projects are sort of experimental/alternative....just to see what works and what doesn't, something to keep my brain busy in a positive way, and to have some fun.

Not sure....is it an art car? Maybe....

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Busboss,

Yeah, nice around here in a lot of ways....unfortunately, I live in Brick....would like it more if there were a few less people around. Just has gotten way too congested around here.

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Latest project......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well, I did get to work on it longer than could be expected....
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Just when you thought I had disappeared for good.....these are my very cool, very tacky vintage 70s vannin' mood lights....I decided to not hook them up to my sketchy-but-everything-works-electrical system, and really don't want them swaying around when I'm driving anyway....so I'll make some bottoms for them and put some type of battery powered lights in there and only put them in for "show".

And, I have plans for many more fun projects! I may actually do some real work to the bus this year!

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Well, it has been raining here for what seems like a month....but did get a cool project done....well, I made the template, and someone very skilled with a sewing machine did the rest. The vinyl is what was left of a remnant that was used for the front door panels, and three dollar store hula skirts....there may be a few flower embellishments added to cover up where the skirts overlap.....

And a couple of shots with the tiki sconces turned on....

I am also working on some dash vent covers....coming soon!

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

So my vent covers turned to dust some time ago.....so I made some....two layers of 1/8 birch plywood with fiberglass screen sandwiched in between. Bottom layer fits in recess on dash. Stained a nice, dark 1970s style brown, with some added graphics. These are hand painted, I just didn't feel like digging out the compressor and air brush and making tiny stencils. Also very 70s, based on some old skateboard graphics....

And in place...

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Knew the table cover needed something else!

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Well, I am no carpenter, that's for sure....this isn't quite finished, need some trim for the front and for around the little flip up table, as well as a cheap and easy way to prop up the table. All of this, except for the stain, is either scrap or something someone was going to get rid of (the plywood)....very low cost, maybe a few bucks for the stain and a few woodscrews. This is for behind the passenger seat. I may make some wood boxes (like the junk boxes under the rear seat) that fit on the shelves.

More when it is finished.

Rod
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Cool

I knew you still had to be out there groovin', rod.

Looks good dude!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

I can't believe you're defacing your bus like that!

Oh wait it's YOUR bus Wink

Looks great! Keep the pics coming!
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Still plenty of stuff to do....it really has become like a rolling art project....and believe it or not, the vast majority of the stuff I am doing is completely reversible, plus it was pretty hacked to begin with.

More to come.

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

A couple of quick updates....

Patched up the dash a bit, and painted it with this product....we bought a bunch of colors, including one black, at Joann's for 25 cents each on clearance....the black looks great, did the dash top and face....don't know how long it will last, but I keep the bus covered, so it should last a while....

Here's a bit of the dash....

Was using a yoga mat as the front floor covering....and ended up not being happy with it. We were at one of those big home repair places looking at flooring for the house...and ran across an indoor/outdoor heavy duty floor mat clearanced for $12....and I cut it up to fit the cab floor....looks really good, in my opinion....

Then I realized the cab is looking pretty good....how'd that happen?

More to come.....as I do all of this, all the other stuff looks worse!

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Small update....the small storage/table thing is pretty close to being finished, just need the curtain for the front.....maybe $10 in this so far....

And I decided I didn't like the pink jump seat....purple is better, somehow....

More to come,

Rod
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

I love the purple. Very tiki.

Can't wait to see more. Another idea, if your handy with a dremel (or your choice of carving tools). Carve out flowers or tiki masks into your furniture and then fill them with whatever color you like. That way you can get a small 3d look and have it stand out (if that's what your going for).
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Dremels, I have.....skill to carve, not so much....I have seen others do that and it does look really cool. I'll add it to my list of things to learn how to do.

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

So, it was 95 degrees here yesterday, and me, like an idiot, was out working on the TTB....just a little painting and stuff....

This was painted a while ago, but needed another coat to cover some light spots.

Used some outdoor all surface craft paint to freshen up the padding.

Sorta Tiki

Fabric to make curtains for the front of my little storage shelves/table....

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Well, it was only 92 today, with a breeze and in the shade it wasn't too bad....lots of fun not being as young as you think you are.....

The little storage cabinet finished and in place. Maybe spent $15 or so on this...free plywood, clearance fabric, the stain was on clearance, etc. not too bad for a hack like me!

Vacuum gauge I bought for like $3 new at Summit Racing.....because it was $3....not hooked up yet, and I am going to replace all of these individual gauge panels with a one piece unit....

And, an Idea stolen from someone here on the Samba....in case I need to sleep in the bus....like $2.....

And, new divider curtains and funky float light....clearance fabric/coupon...maybe $4....and a few bucks for the cord, the plastic balls and battery lights were scavenged....

And...more to come!

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Mostly for my own amusement, I guess....I bought the world's smallest inflatable mattress....and it fits perfectly....dug out my little propane stove....and set up "house".....I think it would work in a pinch....or maybe if I really start to snore....all this while we were waiting for "Hermine" to "hit"....

Ah, well, I probably need to get a hobby....

More to come,

Rod
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: