Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fix pop-top seal without replacement
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMartigan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Fix pop-top seal without replacement Reply with quote

the seal for my pop-top has split right down the middle, separating it into the tubular piece that makes the seal against the roof and the part that slides over the fiberglass. it has come undone about halfway around the top.

aside from this, the seal is in excellent shape. it would be a shame to spend the money on a replacement if I can salvage what I have.

does anyone have any suggestions as to how to repair the seal? what kind of adhesive would be best for joining the rubber to itself? use staples? I'm somewhat at a loss, and could use some input from those more experienced in such matters.
rc3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use clear silicon also 3m black weatherstrip adhesive would work.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mistakenly (in hindsight) repaired my '81 seal with Goop; it was falling off at points. It "worked" but IMO, going that route only adds to clean up time when one decides to install a new seal.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you consider the amount of energy and time it will take to facilitate a hack repair on worn seals, just lay down the $85 and purchase a seal kit for it. It is a best buy if you place a value on your time.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_328_894/pop_top_seal_kit.html

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
an86carrera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a NEW seal from BD two years ago. Not a very robust glue they use to join the tubular section to the part that goes over the edge of the fiberglass, it has fallen apart already, to repair it I used VHB tape from 3M seems to be holding up OK now. not cheap but....it is very good at bonding.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotch-Mount-Moldin...m+vhb+tape
'08 Dodge 2500 diesel
'75 914
rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix pop-top seal without replacement Reply with quote

I too had a BD poptop seal that was about 4 years old. The rubber was like new after a cleaning, but the glue between the u-molding and the hollow seal was failing all over. I cleaned, rubbed with power steering fluid, used goof off to then clean the surfaces to be glued, and glued the seal back on using 3m black weatherstripping adhesive/sealant. Worked wonderfully. Looks like new and has twice the area glued. Very strong adhesion.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix pop-top seal without replacement Reply with quote

I had to read the OP a couple of times.
The rubber is split horizontally the length of the top and you want to fix it?

Do yourself a favor & replace it.

You could Goop it, but it takes 12 hours to cure, & as mentioned it'll take more to clean up any excess than it's worth.
rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix pop-top seal without replacement Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
I had to read the OP a couple of times.
The rubber is split horizontally the length of the top and you want to fix it?

Do yourself a favor & replace it.

You could Goop it, but it takes 12 hours to cure, & as mentioned it'll take more to clean up any excess than it's worth.

Terry, I really value most of your advice and knowledge in this forum, but I disagree here. The seal I installed yesterday is sturdier than the BD depot one. Yes, it took some work and time, but I saved myself a little $$ and got a more robust seal. I don't know why you would suggest Goop. Bad idea. The 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive is the way to go. It's probably the same stuff the manufacturer used SPARINGLY to glue the seal together. It cleans up with mineral oil, which left my cured Interlux paint unscathed. I don't trust other brands of weatherstrip adhesive.

Need I post pics?
rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix pop-top seal without replacement Reply with quote

I forgot to add that I had the top off and upside down. I wouldn't have tried this with the poptop on the van.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix pop-top seal without replacement Reply with quote

No, No, if the attachment point just needed to be glued back to the edges of the top, I agree that the 3-M wheatherstrip adhesive was the way to go.
Good stuff.

I was responding to the OP ( original poster) who seemed to want to fix a ripped / torn seal, which I think is a waste of time.
rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix pop-top seal without replacement Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
No, No, if the attachment point just needed to be glued back to the edges of the top, I agree that the 3-M wheatherstrip adhesive was the way to go.
Good stuff.

I was responding to the OP ( original poster) who seemed to want to fix a ripped / torn seal, which I think is a waste of time.

Gotcha, but the the OP had good rubber all around. His/her seal separated like mine and others, where the u-molding that slides on the lower poptop edge is glued to the tubular rubber seal that rests against the van body. Basically, the rubber components of the seal will far outlast the glue that binds them. Same happened to my skylight seal. I bought a new one of those for convenience.

If the rubber is good AND you have the poptop off, it would be worth refurbishing for many. I went through 5 Oz of this 3M weather stripping glue, available at most auto parts stores. The bigger tube is nice, because it has a long neck for getting in the u-molding if needed. Clean up with mineral spirits.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: