Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to forum! Pics of my recently purchased Sebring kit car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum! Pics of my recently purchased Sebring kit car Reply with quote

Can't help with the hubs. Looks like an adapter plate to me with the one stud that's missing screwed into the stock hole underneath (that's a long stud!). As for the fuel tank.. most used the stock VW tank from whatever year car the donor was. Replacement tanks are available almost everywhere, just match your tank to the photo. It'll be cheaper than having an aluminum tank made with no real advantage to the latter, unless your having one made with extra capacity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum! Pics of my recently purchased Sebring kit car Reply with quote

Those are classic VW 4 bolt to (likely) Chevy 5 bolt adapters. The bolt that is missing is the offset stud:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6706

The Sebring uses a custom fuel tank and not the stock VW like the Sterling did. In my Avenger thread I had a custom tank built by a company in Florida. They were reasonable and built it to a drawing that I sent them. It was top notch and not that expensive.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum! Pics of my recently purchased Sebring kit car Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:

The Sebring uses a custom fuel tank and not the stock VW like the Sterling did. In my Avenger thread I had a custom tank built by a company in Florida. They were reasonable and built it to a drawing that I sent them. It was top notch and not that expensive.

Really? I thought at least the series 1 used the VW tank, mounted over the transaxle like the Sterling. That's interesting to know... any photos, perchance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WHYYYTRYYY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum! Pics of my recently purchased Sebring kit car Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:

Really? I thought at least the series 1 used the VW tank, mounted over the transaxle like the Sterling. That's interesting to know... any photos, perchance?

Nope, parallellogrammish shaped steel tank mounted above engine. You can see it mounted in some of my previous pictures. I'll take pictures when I'm at work tomorrow of it removed. Should be pretty easy for a good fuel cell assembler to reproduce.

And they do look like wheel adapters on my car. But that 4th 'bolt' really isn't a bolt, just a plug of some kind that can move and spin it seems. Very weird and shady looking. After some research I believe I might go with a 5x130 pattern, as there are plenty of cool wheels to choose from.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum! Pics of my recently purchased Sebring kit car Reply with quote

That "4th" bolt/stud is the offset trick used to make the wheel patterns match. The side in the drum matches the VW thread and the outer stud that should be there is off-center so that it can match the different Chevy bolt pattern. Never like this set-up, you can't really tighten that wobbler stud up properly while aligning the outer stud to the proper bolt circle. 5X130 is the way to go, or just get pre-studded hubs for the Chevy pattern. There are lots of Porsche wheel options out there, but about a million more Chevy pattern options. IMO better to identify the wheels you want to use, then get hubs to match.

I was planning to get a custom tank from these guys, but later decided to do a modified OEM tank for my build (Boyd would still probably be my 1st choice for a custom tank though):
http://www.fueltankparts.com/home
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum! Pics of my recently purchased Sebring kit car Reply with quote

Man! You are making me go waaaaaay back into the archives! I had to scan this old picture.

Tank is in front of the bumper.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum! Pics of my recently purchased Sebring kit car Reply with quote

Well... I'll be first to admit I didn't know that about those cars. Interesting....

and I got a tank from Boyd for the red Sterling in the avatar. First rate work..
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum! Pics of my recently purchased Sebring kit car Reply with quote

Quote:
I was planning to get a custom tank from these guys, but later decided to do a modified OEM tank for my build (Boyd would still probably be my 1st choice for a custom tank though):
http://www.fueltankparts.com/home"

Was this the place I used Jeff? I am getting sooooo old I can't even remember my only child's name some time.
WHYYYTRYYY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum! Pics of my recently purchased Sebring kit car Reply with quote

Well my tank is a little rougher than jsp's picture, so I think I'm due for a new one.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: