Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubel Treffen East 2016
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldthingguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Oldthingguy-
You wouldn't be the first Californian to attend Kubel Treffen East.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And...you would be very welcome!

Very cool, one day I need to go, this looks like a lot of fun, and a fun road trip too I bet. I keep telling my wife to quit work....haha
64 notch - gone
60 23 window - gone
57 oval - gone
plus a few others I should have kept
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Great show today. Met some nice people and picked up some nice parts and a t-shirt. Hope to be there next year with my Thing.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

We arrived back in TN today at about noon..... Very Happy
We had a Great time, and a safe trip overall...
We did lose the forward left spindle/wheel/tire on the trailer, but that was without incident.... I check the mirrors every minute or so when towing, so that bugger slipped off very quietly and went on its way.... It was a Very light traffic morning, so this obviously didn't affect any other motorists.... Thank God.

Humongous appreciation to all who organized this event! Y'all did a great JOB!!
I was blessed to have my whole family along this year and we ALL had a good time!

We met some new folks and had some Great conversation all weekend. The drives were great, and the looks from passers by were priceless when they saw 24(?) Things drive by!!

We're looking forward to the next gathering! If I stay off work for long, I may have to organize one down this way!! Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Joe, if you ever think about a show or a weekend drive let us know. We will be glad to help. Nice fall drive, just saying. Big thanks for the help and trailer ride for the guy with the white car. Good to see you. Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Will do Ron! A fall drive in the Smokies would be appealing! These mountains turn some gorgeous colors!

We tried a swap to some used brushes on Hans generator.(the bright white Thing), (Mike G w/ chopped and dropped Thing) ran home and brought some other brushes to help out!!!)
No luck with the other brushes... The Gen was putting out 1V at the fat red/white wire, and the Thing would die as soon as we pulled the jumper cable off the post.....
Anyway, they should be getting their Thing back to Cleveland today... We got them to north central Ohio and had safe storage for their Thing for the night.
Hans and his son, Don, did a great job on their Thing! Gorgeous bright white and black! Nice stock resto!

One of my favs(amongst some Awesome Things!) was Mike G's chopped and dropped flat primered with Mexican blanket upholstery!! Very unique!!

Nice slightly windy country road for the cruise!

Reserved parking for dinner on Saturday!

enroute to the Air Force museum on Sunday! I'm biased on this pic, but it's great to see my bride of 17yrs and our two amazing kiddos cruising Our Thing!

Doh, this pic reminded me to check that drivers tail light bulb!
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
blsthng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Made it back to HOT Delaware today around 1:00
Thanks to Gary for putting together a great weekend of events.
Very nice to meet everyone and seeing the Things.
Looking forward to the next one.
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sburton66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Got back Sunday Night about 9:30 pm . Had a safe trip
Was nice to meet some new people and connect with some old friends.

Thanks again Gray for a great show

Scott Burton
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Thanks Gary and everyone, my wife and I had a great time, it was a lot of fun! More pictures here in the gallery http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=KAmes
We arrived home at 9:00pm Sunday. Totally successful "Our First Kubel Treffen", no parts fell off the thing (or wheels off the trailer Wink )

germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Nice picts guys and gals. Sure wished we lived a lot closer would love to have been there. Looked like a lot of fun.
GB
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

I'm grateful for the dry weather for the drive-in movie and for show day.

Just a quick 3 hour blast north on I-75, and I was in my garage by 3:30 Sunday. Very glad I put my top up before leaving Tipp City, as I drove through some big-time rain.

My records show there were 33 cars in attendance, including a few unexpected arrivals.
2016 was the year of the orange Thing; lots of those.
Everybody was asking about certain blue and green Things from Virginia; hope to see more Virginians next year.

Special thanks to all of those who helped me coordinate the show, and I hope to see y'all (and then some) next year.

Safe travels and good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Laying hands on the Orange one for healing?

Would be great to have a Southern meet...Chattanooga maybe. The big show I went to there was awesome, but had few Things in it. Rolling Eyes
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Always looking for volunteers to host KTE 2017!

Chattanooga is in the volunteer state.
I have a VW made in Chattanooga.
The VW plant would be a nice place to tour as part of the event.

I've driven my Thing to two KTE's south of Chattanooga. One in Hiawassee, Georgia, and one in Branson, MO.

Dennis was "laying on hands" and it worked! (along with a jump box.)
Maybe he just wanted to be in the shade Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

and yes that was me. I have many people ask me to listen to their Thing and when I do they say well it is not doing it now so I was being silly. You can see all the pictures from the show on our website http://kubeltreffen181.com
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
and yes that was me. I have many people ask me to listen to their Thing and when I do they say well it is not doing it now so I was being silly. You can see all the pictures from the show on our website http://kubeltreffen181.com

Thanks for posting up the pictures Dennis! Cool
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
citroen wrote:

Thanks for posting up the pictures Dennis! Cool
I will add more as other people post them and I add them to the site also thanks for all of the people using our site it's good to know that I am not wasting my time putting things on the site. We will be adding more things this year a special tool listing and our collection of Things toys and always no ads. I will try to make the site better as I learn but right now I am still learning to use my smartphone.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
You can see all the pictures from the show on our website http://kubeltreffen181.com

Very, very cool! Cool
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Inspired by Kubel Treffen East, last night my wife and I went to a drive in an hour from our house for the first time. Reliving the glory!
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Very inspiring Kevin! We didn't make the drive in at KTE, but we do have one on the other side of town...
Now we just need to get a ghetto blaster to use for the audio!! Wink
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Now we just need to get a ghetto blaster to use for the audio!! Wink

We used two individual Ipods that have FM mode with ear buds, mostly because we already had them. We plugged the charge cords into one of those backup batteries for recharging your phone to make sure they held out. It worked very well. There were others in lawn chairs with boom boxes at their side, that part is kinda cool, sort of a surround effect from other peoples radios.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2016 Reply with quote

Glad you guys enjoy the drive in movies.
No better car for it than a Thing with the top and windshield down.

Just FYI, this is how my car radio is powered:
I did a little trick with the radio's red ignition power wire. Instead of connecting it to a terminal 15 fuse, I connected it to a relay, which is energized by terminal SU of the ignition switch harness.
Terminal SU is used on all 70’s VW’s to operate a warning buzzer when the key is left in the ignition and the driver’s door is open. On Things, that function is not used, but the ignition switch, common to other VW’s, has that feature. On Things, terminal SU provides +12V when the key is inserted. It is possible that the current required by the radio (for ignition power) would make a relay unnecessary, but I would rather protect the electrical contacts in the ignition switch, so I used a relay, just to be safe. A .110 female disconnect (with locking tab) was inserted into the vacant SU cavity of the ignition switch harness to make this work.
Here's a sketch:

As you can see, three items are powered by this relay with the key inserted, but switched off (or on).
I changed over the glove box light because people kept bumping the thing and it would be left on without me noticing. The guts of my garage door opener (which happens to run on 12 volts) are buried behind the dash and triggered by a discreet switch.
So all three of these things are turned off when the key is removed.

Other people on this forum have wired their radios this way, and like it.

Hope to see y'all again next year, Mondshine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: