Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

The 'Rhombus Rollen' wheels arrived today. I think these are about the best replacement for the original short of finding a vintage one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Original:

I had to buy the pair, so if you are in need of one pm me. The axle piece that mounts inside the cabinet is interesting, looks like it was heated and hammered flat to create the mounting surface.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

That is totally rad! Laughing You could get 3 more and build a Westy skateboard!
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Here's the rack the day we picked up the bus. Bent up and no wood left on it. Badge missing but otherwise complete down to every brass screw. All six clamps with their correct hardware too.

I placed a wtb ad for original slats and quickly had a nice 'seasoned' set of slats from a very helpful samba member on the other end of the country. Thank you very much Nick! I went to work trying to straighten and assemble the rack. While not originals, I think these slats look great and match the look of the bus nicely. I had to set it up on the bus of course:

That's it for now, more later!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Very good match on the Rhombus wheel. Did you end up scoring it off of ebay or somewhere else? The match looks almost identical and the font looks almost period correct. Doubt many people would notice that it has been replaced.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Very good match on the Rhombus wheel. Did you end up scoring it off of ebay or somewhere else? The match looks almost identical and the font looks almost period correct. Doubt many people would notice that it has been replaced.

I found them on e-bay from a private seller, not the actual company. I was surprised to find anything even close. I'm not sure what the modern application is for these although the Rhombus company does make many different types of casters/wheels for hospital equipment, shopping carts etc.

I will run the oq crusty one for now but it's nice to have a spare!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Speaking of wheels, i borrowed an og paint 15" from my singlecab and had this 215/75 all terrain mounted up to see how it fits and looks:

It seems to fit fine and clear everything ok. With it on the rear there was plenty of room on the inside of the tire from the spring plate. I ran bfg a/t's on my old toyota tacoma and they were a great long lasting tire and did good off road. These have a new sidewall tread that is gnarly looking compared to the previous generation. I like how it looks on the bus so i'm going back for the others tomorrow. Smile
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

The rack came out very nice. And those tires look great on the front. About how much room is there on the back side between the tire and the jack port/ wheel well looks close in the photo.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
The rack came out very nice. And those tires look great on the front. About how much room is there on the back side between the tire and the jack port/ wheel well looks close in the photo.

With the wheels pointed straight, there's about 1 1/2" to that jackport flange. At the tightest point pictured below with wheel turned there's about 5/8" between there:

Turned the other way has plenty of room:

Of course it will sit lower once the cabinets and engine are back in. I studied the Big Meats thread and it seems like these will be ok. We'll see after i'm driving on them. If i don't like them on here or they rub too much it's ok because i'm planning to do a little lift to the single cab when it gets it's turn.

Eventually i want to fix the wheel wells and blend the paint so i can run stock looking tires and the chrome hubcaps that it is m-coded for. I don't like how hubcaps with cut wheel wells look, although i'm really diggin the baja flipseat look for now. The truck mirrors can stay for now too.

Enjoy Very Happy

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Shocked Those tires look amazing on there!!! I gotta get a set for my 67, I have a set of 66 Beetle wheels I want to mount some meaty rubber on. Do you think they'd clear an uncut wheelwell?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Shocked Those tires look amazing on there!!! I gotta get a set for my 67, I have a set of 66 Beetle wheels I want to mount some meaty rubber on. Do you think they'd clear an uncut wheelwell?

If you have Beetle tires on, switching to a Bus load rated tire and Bus rim will make a huge difference in how it drives on the freeway.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

If you have Beetle tires on, switching to a Bus load rated tire and Bus rim will make a huge difference in how it drives on the freeway.

It's currently on the stock original 14's. The Bug wheels are a set I've had sitting around for ages. One of these days I was planning to clean them up and paint them & add some meaty rubber to run on the bus when the mood strikes.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Are those "All Terrain T/A KO2" by BFGoodrich? They look alot more expensive than the Grabber AT2. Think the difference is worth it?
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:

I'm going to try them on my 67 camper maybe this weekend, i will report back regarding the rear fitment. Not sure with the bug wheels though, aren't they skinnier?

Enkiel wrote:
Are those "All Terrain T/A KO2" by BFGoodrich? They look alot more expensive than the Grabber AT2. Think the difference is worth it?

Yes they're the ko2's. I couldn't find any of the ko anywhere. They're quite a bit more than the Generals. The Generals look good too, i almost got them instead. The Generals are probably a better value for the price, but i haven't tried either on a bus as of yet.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:

I mounted the wheels on the 67 today and took it out for a little test ride. They went on with no problem and clear everything nicely out back with stock wheel wells. Even with the bus on jack stands they never contact the lip of the wheel well:

They never rubbed anywhere, even a couple of spots where i expected it might when i was off road. What i really liked was how planted the bus felt on the pavement compared to the kumho 195/75 14" passenger tires.

Big Bill wrote:

It leaves about 1/3" with the wheel turned at it's closest point with the jack flange on the 67. A more realistic representation than the pic on the flipseat:

A few more picures here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8169780#8169780
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

That's awesome, thanks for the update!!
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

On your test of those tires on your '67 did you find them noisy? Did it effect your top speed at all?

When I swapped from radials to bias ply tires on my bus I noticed the top end speed was reduced.

Your sub hatch looks awesome btw!

Trevor
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

HerrLowlight wrote:
On your test of those tires on your '67 did you find them noisy? Did it effect your top speed at all?

When I swapped from radials to bias ply tires on my bus I noticed the top end speed was reduced.

Your sub hatch looks awesome btw!

Trevor

The "gearing change" with the large tires is noticeable. All the gears are longer now. The speedo is showing slower than my actual speed too. I still need to take it out on the highway and climb some grades. That will be a better test of the noise factor too. I can usually only hear the wind when i'm going 60. Most of what i tested yesterday was to see if the fronts were going to rub off road through cross ruts and body twisting off camber situations. I don't bash my bus very hard on the trails though, just slow 1st and 2nd gear most of the time. I use my motorcycle for the heavy abuse. Very Happy
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

I've had both on buses. They do not compare in quality, durability and traction. BFGs are way better.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Enkiel wrote:

I've had both on buses. They do not compare in quality, durability and traction. BFGs are way better.

Thanks buseric, I always liked them on my old Toyota. The BFG's lasted 40k plus on that truck and were great off road too.

It's been too hot to do cabinet work lately, sometimes i have to go do something else instead. This week's evenings were spent working on the window seals.

I worked my way from the cargo doors around back and up the driver's side leaving the doors and windshields for last. I made sure to orient the logos as they were.

in case anyone is wondering where to put the seam, they were centered on the top for the stationary side windows so i re-installed the new ones the same way:

Everything went smooth until i got to the driver's windshield. The original Delog D-08 glass was still there and i was able to get it out carefully without any problem. Amazingly it wasn't pitted too bad and i was happy to be able to use it again. When i was re-installing it, i was down to the last 4" of string pulling when the lower corner against the 'split' bar went "tink". Damn..shit happens.

So to keep it as original as possible, i had an extra set of Delog windshields that i installed. The original that i broke was d-08 and these are d-110. I thought these were a matched set until i looked closer and noticed the font is slightly different and the driver side is "ver delog bund E". Not sure what the 'E' means. Anyway, i got them in using LOTS of vaseline around the frame and on my pull string. I was glad to get them in without any more drama!

I started on the doors last night. It took awhile to get the old petrified seal removed from the outer frame but here's where i'm at now:

Good times! Not much else new to report, just slowly making progress.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 westfalia so-35 flipseat Reply with quote

I had to remove the truck mirrors to remove the window frames and now i'm not sure if they will be going back on or not:

Both original mirrors suffered this treatment, probably the same time the fenderwells were cut Very Happy :

I like the area around the subhatch where you can see the hand painting from Westfalia after the roof was hacked:

Another thing I've noticed that some of the subhatch westy's I have seen have their tent mounts painted over. These were never painted:

Awhile back I got lucky and found this sweet flipseat brochure on e-bay just posted minutes earlier with a buy it now. I think it was thirty bucks shipped:

Below you can see the door cabinet with the sticker from 1978 Long Beach Formula One. That sticker was a pain to remove and it left a ghost image. The veneer beneath is actually raised slightly like a relief carving from the way it weathered over the decades. I did my best to flatten it out as much as possible without burning through the veneer:

Another e-bay score, I found the same sticker in France and just had to get it. Only difference is where the old one had the American flag with 'Long Beach' above it, this one is for French driver Paul Ricard with the French flag:

I'm not planning on sticking it on there but thought it was a cool small piece of the bus's history recaptured. I'm weird like that. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 28

Jump to: