Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch won't work after engine install Part 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoWestYoungMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Clutch won't work after engine install Part 2 Reply with quote

I wrote about this way back in April:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653630&highlight=gowestyoungman

The problem was that I installed my rebuilt engine (long block) but the clutch would not disengage. The wheels would turn when it was up on the jack stands, but not when it was on the ground. But it didn't feel like it was disengaging and in the process of getting it into gear I broke the urethane shift coupler (see other post I made today)

So here's what I saw when I finally pulled the engine today:
http://imgur.com/a/TQQUL

I'm a newbie to air cooled VWs and this was my first rebuild install but I don't see anything odd or unusual in the clutch assembly? Do you?

Clutch plate measures 8.5 mm thick. Not sure what spec is supposed to be.

I'm wondering if the clutch just wasn't adjusted correctly to fully disengage. Is it possible to push on the clutch lever above the tranny and disengage the clutch by hand or does it take a lot more mechanical advantage than that?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't work after engine install Part 2 Reply with quote

You might be able to move the arm by hand until the throwout bearing makes contact with the clutch pressure plate. Then it will get more than a little difficult.

The 2nd clutch pic it appears the throwout ring is at an angle. How was the pressure plate torqued onto the flywheel?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoWestYoungMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't work after engine install Part 2 Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
How was the pressure plate torqued onto the flywheel?

Just ratcheting it on, do cross bolts to bring it down evenly, if I recall correctly.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't work after engine install Part 2 Reply with quote

I asked because uneven torquing can cause the pressure plate to warp and then apply pressure unevenly. I turn the bolts in by finger until they all touch the pressure plate. Then using a wrench, turn each bolt no more than 1 turn at a time, then go to the next bolt across the clutch in the star pattern. That sort of warping can cause the symptoms you are listing.

Also be sure to put a dab of white grease inside the pilot bearing before putting the clutch in the flywheel. If the rollers are dry, it can drag and seem like the clutch is not disengaging.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoWestYoungMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't work after engine install Part 2 Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
I asked because uneven torquing can cause the pressure plate to warp and then apply pressure unevenly. I turn the bolts in by finger until they all touch the pressure plate. Then using a wrench, turn each bolt no more than 1 turn at a time, then go to the next bolt across the clutch in the star pattern. That sort of warping can cause the symptoms you are listing.

Also be sure to put a dab of white grease inside the pilot bearing before putting the clutch in the flywheel. If the rollers are dry, it can drag and seem like the clutch is not disengaging.

Good to know. I think I was pretty careful torquing down the pressure plate bolts, but I'll use this technique and see what happens.

Good point on the white grease too. Definitely did not do that. Thank you.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't work after engine install Part 2 Reply with quote

Hello, I haven't read your other post... But, you may have, answered your own question.
Didn't you readjust your clutch, take up the slack of the throw out bearing travel?? After adding a new clutch assym. and maybe different flywheel...
I see you have a hyd. clutch system. You, may need to figure out the adjustments as to taking up that play/travel, of the TO bearing, maybe...
But, of course check what the other guy is seeing. Yet, you may have answered your own question..
Good luck, with the project...
GoWestYoungMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't work after engine install Part 2 Reply with quote

Yeah, I may have. I didn't know how much pressure it took to disengage the clutch so I was assuming when I pushed against the clutch lever about the tranny by hand that I was disengaging the clutch. Now that I have the clutch out and on the floor I see that pushing in those springs on the pressure plate takes a heck of a lot more pressure than I thought. I have to put a fair bit of weight on it. So I'm guessing I was only taking up the play in the throwout.
GoWestYoungMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't work after engine install Part 2 Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

Well I'm not sure which thing did it exactly but I reinstalled the engine today, putting in the lithium grease as you suggested and tightening down the pressure plate very carefully. I also carefully measured to make sure the throwout bearing was close but not touching the pressure plate when the engine went in. And it seems to have worked. Got all four gears and the wheels don't move when in neutral. Looking forward to finally getting it out of the garage and on the road!

Thanks for your advice!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch won't work after engine install Part 2 Reply with quote

Okay! Get out there and have fun then!
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: