Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tunnel bottom removal
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
streetbuggy8804
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Tunnel bottom removal Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to have a link to a thread where someone removed the tunnel bottom plate? I am thinking about doing this so that I can route all my lines through there ( efi engine, hydraulic clutch ect). Thanks.
Manxter DS #32
Fabricator wanna-be
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel bottom removal Reply with quote

It is easier to cut a couple of 'doors' (openings) in side of tunnel where 'tubes' are clamped internally to change out existing lines and also to clamp in new lines.... Then just weld up openings when done... Removing and replacing bottom is long arduous job that may not be necessary... Adel clamps on inside wall of tunnel are great and you only need small opening to place and bolt them...

Bottom graphic in link below is active and you can click on portions and it will show detailed picture of different sections...

http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/vwdcqimages/insideabugimages/insidetunnel.html

The there is the whole magilla...

https://www.google.com/search?q=inside+the+VW+tunn...p;ie=UTF-8

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
streetbuggy8804
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tunnel bottom removal Reply with quote

Thanks dale. I don't mind the work and I already have a couple of access panels with gusset plates that I have created. I'm looking for a thread because I know the removal process but would like a reference to someone who has done it.
Manxter DS #32
Fabricator wanna-be
WHYYYTRYYY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel bottom removal Reply with quote

Hey streetbuggy, any pics of your access panels? I'm about to pull the body off my kit car and replace the front clip of the tunnel. While I'm in there, I am moving the shifter location back, omitting the ebrake handle, and replacing everything inside the tunnel. I was considering easy access panels instead of welding everything back. I was going to frame the hole with light plate steel welded in, then drill and tap some holes for a form fitting cover and gasket.
streetbuggy8804
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel bottom removal Reply with quote

Turnkey Manx sells a nice little guest kit. Mine I created myself because they were not commercially abailable at the time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This one is the only pic I have. Prior to holes being drilled of course. Nothing crazy. Just simple renforcement

Manxter DS #32
Fabricator wanna-be
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel bottom removal Reply with quote

I removed the bottom plate on my 1969 chassis because the person that shortened the chassis cut all the tubes and just left the ends hanging. I spliced all the cut ends and reinforced the clutch tube welds.

There are a lot of welds to drill out.

One thing to be sure of is to support the tunnel well before welding it back together. You don't want to weld it back together twisted.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
WHYYYTRYYY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel bottom removal Reply with quote

This is such an awesome forum. Glad I joined. Saves me so much time hunting around online trying to find specific, detailed pictures of such things. Thanks for the excellent pictures guys.
SoCal67Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel bottom removal Reply with quote

......and an additonal Thank You!

My original plans for shortening my pan included removing the bottom plate from the tunnel. I wanted to add some reinforcements as well as additional fuel return lines for future fuel injection to the inside of the tunnel.

Thanks for the pics! I'm now going to drop my pan (& bottom tunnel plate) to add the internal gussets and fuel lines I intended to do the first time.

Thanks again (I have some catching up to do!).

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: