Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OC's Project "Some Day"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your old Beagle. And glad to hear about your new pup!

We currently have 5 dogs, like Ed - no1clyde - and one of ours is named Clyde Shocked He's 1/4 Heeler, 1/4 Border Collie, and 1/2 Kelpy. All are Australian herding breeds. So he worries whenever one of his "flock" is away. His sister belongs to the folks we got him from, she likes to herd their cats around their house.

I grew up with a 1/2 beagle - 1/2 Dachshund named Angel. She was a Beagle with short legs. Wink Fun little dog. LOVED to go for rides...ESPECIALLY offroad, or to the family cabin in the mountains, or to the desert (we lived in the suburbs of LA then). Would dig after ground squirrels or anything the burrows for days on end. Loved to chase jackrabbits, even though they were usually bigger than her. We would joke that if she ever caught one, she'd be in big trouble. Could track most ANYTHING! She lived to 18 and finally passed away of multiple forms of cancer.

One of our current dogs is named Ginger. 16 year old Golden Retriever mix. Pretty healthy and spry for her age. Pretty deaf though.

Yeah...I'm pretty fond of dogs too... Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

looks like 'Some Day' won't be anytime soon.

Getting a divorce atm so everything is on hold. I won't even have a garage in a month or two. It really sucks because I thought I'd get it done this year. Maybe I'll be able to put it together in the storage unit? ugh! Why did I want a divorce???
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Damn dude, when's the release of that country album of yours?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Oh man you made me laugh. I'm not a country fan but you're right now that I think about it maybe I should be!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Glad I could lighten the mood, if you don't listen to country music now that s not the time to start, it'll just depress you further.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Just an update for those that remember me;
I'm still waiting to finish this divorce. Yes, 7 or 8 months and counting for two working adults with no children. Without getting into it too much she is screwing me really bad and I'm not sure how much I'll have when it's all over. This project might all be gone and possibly the baja. I'm struggling with the possible loss and working on a nice ulcer too. But I'm trying not to let it change me. It'd just be nice to know what is going to happen and move on.
It doesn't pay to be an honest, hard working person these days. If you're the praying type throw one my way please, I could use it.

Bug-on my brothers.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Absolutely man. I wish you the best, and I hope things can go smoother from here on out man. Wish ya well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
no1clyde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Best wishes sent your way OC. If you do lose all your toys look at it as a reason to build a better one after you are back on your feet.

Hang in there buddy.

Ed
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

OC,

Prayers for wisdom and strength.

Jeff
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

I wish ya well.

My wife and I have been together for 35 years, my parents held to their vows until death did them part, so I can't speak from personal experience of divorce. But many friends and relatives HAVE been divorced. I've observed much about their experiences.

All I can say to you at this point is that I feel for you. Step carefully and maintain a good lawyer.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bajabugman1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Well I will be praying for you and your family to have the least conflict and heart ache. My wife left me 8 years ago last week and it did not have any drama so to speak. Do the best you can to keep your Baja as I did because it helped me get over the heart ache. Time does heal all wounds but the pain can stay around for awhile.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Sorry that you're going through this & good luck.

You know... you can always "sell" the cars to a buddy for a cheap but not suspiciously low price & split the proceeds with her. But then again, who's going to pay a lot if they're disassembled? Twisted Evil

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Well with your recent update, I spent the last few days reading the entire build. It's a bummer to have it end this way with you and your soon to be ex. Best of luck getting through with what is rightfully yours!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Sorry that you're going through this & good luck.

You know... you can always "sell" the cars to a buddy for a cheap but not suspiciously low price & split the proceeds with her. But then again, who's going to pay a lot if they're disassembled? Twisted Evil

Of course, Lawyers can find such suggestions as the above was posted up in the public domain. But such is a good concept. Many of our offroad friends here on the Samba and on such sites as Craig's List and eBay find it best to separate from their off road VW cars by parting them out. The market has been weak for some time and it's difficult to obtain the prices that were common when Obama was inaugurated.
SoCalBajas Member
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Since I'm on today I figured I'd make the last post on my build not be about silly divorce BS..

I'm happy to say I'm starting to stabilize and despite not having a shop to work in I've made room selling things in my storage unit that I started setting up to reassemble the ole girl. There was a moment where my heart skipped a few beats when I thought I had lost a box in my move containing all my shocks, the transmission mount I made, my radiator bracket, some other things but most importantly, the shifter adapter contraption I engineered to run my front-side shift bus trans. Good lord I was upset, then I found it a couple days later right under my frame where I stuck it. lol

Anyway, I'm not gonna waste space on here updating the re-rebuild of it so I'll just check in when I've made significant progress like got it running and rolling or at the end of the summer - which ever comes first.

I don't have power for my powder coating oven (THAT'S FOR SALE IF ANYONE IN MICHIGAN IS INTERESTED wink*wink*nudge*nudge) so some of the details I had originally planned to do in the rebuild are out the window now. I'll just have to settle on fist cans. I also sold my Tig machine (that's how I have room now lol) so no more fancy welding fun for awhile. That's a big downer for me. But in a year or so I hope to be able to afford a cool new Everlast 210 Tig which would be a big step up from what I had and open me up for a lot more things.

Regardless there's no reason I shouldn't be able to get this thing back together given some time and elbow grease.

This is something I had to fight for tooth and nail and gave up a lot for in my divorce so it's kinda bittersweet knowing I'll actually be able to finish her after all.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah, everyone have a safe summer and watch out for the big puddles! Laughing

Brian ("OC")
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Brian, nice to hear from you again and I'm glad things are leveling out for you at home. I find working with my hands and building things very therapeutic. Perhaps you will find the same with this project. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Even better stress therapy is driving offroad. I hope you'll be able to get that sort of therapy soon.
SoCalBajas Member
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

I'm back again.
I've done a lot around this new house to make doing the work I need more practical. Unfortunately, I've got about a dozen motorcycles lol, that are constantly in the way.
So while I'm contemplating doing a makeover of my baja, Mary, I've got the woodsbuggy in a little better shape.

I completely redid the electrical system making a custom center console and water tight junction boxes. Used industrial multi-conductor wire between everything to make wiring easier to follow and upgradable.

I ended up having to replace my motor. At some point the old got water in it and it sat in storage that way during my divorce. So it's replaced and not so pretty.

I figured out either my straps had stretched or my setup was off because while I was running it last summer I was getting some grinding in the joints on one side. I bought some 2" shorter suspension straps which fixed that but now it sits too low in the rear. I need to get some long turn-buckles for the tops of them so I can fine tune them.

I'm also very unhappy with my airbag setup. Really love some coil overs but the price, ugh. I need to do something though. After I installed the new motor I ran it in some whoopy trails behind my house and the top tube they mount to had bent badly. So I bought a new Tig and redid that. I never reinforced that bar like I should've.

One last thing I'd like to do is spend some time adjusting my custom shift box for the 094. At first I was confused because it didn't seem to have the low-end power I thought a 2.4L should have. As a matter of fact it never did. But I found out one day I wasn't getting it into first at all. I was starting in second. It's really hard to find the gears with this cable shifter, especially with the pattern being backwards. Something else I need to look into. I started to have a problem with not getting into second after this. So I figure it's time to spend some time examining the shift box and seeing if something has loosened up or if I'm not getting enough throw to engage second for some reason.

I'm surprised any of my pictures are still here. Photobucket bastards have pretty much canned most hosted picture on the net. I'll have to post some new pics when I get some time.

This is gonna be the 'summer of Brian' damnit. I better get some buggy fun goin! Common warmer weather!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

I suggest you download all of your pics off Phototoilet to your hard drive, then put them up in the Samba Gallery as time goes. Not that you should take down links that are working, but to back up in case Phototoilet gets even more greedy. Everybody else in that industry got greedy too.

I've at all times retained my photos on my hard drive, except for the 10 years worth that Microsoft stole when they thought my Windows was a pirate version. It wasn't, but their "Anti-Piracy" software did it's reverse piracy thing and wiped my hard drive before I could prove that it wasn't. And of course my external backup drive had already failed not long before.

Straps DO stretch. So do seat belts.

Oh... And Welcome back.
SoCalBajas Member
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: OC's Project "Some Day" Reply with quote

Hey Rich. I did not realize Microsoft had that ability!
I have always had my own back up of pics as well. Sometimes in triplicate. I got so many copies of copies it'd take me a year to sort through them. I also ran my share of pirated software. Still do. I have machines that run XP and 7 just for that reason. The tech companies have it figured out pretty well the way they engineer their products to fail at a given time. Most ordinary people have to put up with it or they are just ignorant. But all that old software is still fine if you know how to make it work. And the photo hosting is a bunch of bull. If I had only known they would make all my threads pointless someday I would have done things different.

Anyway, time to do some uploading...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: