Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
littleray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Syndication Reply with quote

i'm a new member (littleray). Does anybody have an EMPI 38 mm egas carb?
If so do you have any info how too adj?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

What are you trying to adjust? If your idle stays high because of your pedal/throttle not returning all the way, you will need to add another spring in addition to the wimpy one that comes on it.

If this is what you're talking about, let me know and I'll post a photo of what was done to mine.

Outside of that, great carb...

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

Post a picture of your set up so we can see what manifold and such you are using to help you better.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

Spring was installed to pull the throttle/pedal back into closed position, as the original wimpy spring would only partially close, resulting in high idle. The spring (yellow/brass colored, above spark plug wires) was installed by drilling a small hole into the carb support, even height with the lower end of the throttle mechanism, and then hooking the spring into the new hole and onto the lower end of the throttle mechanism. Solved the high idle issue. All other parts that I installed with the carb came with it in the box...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Littleray, you still have not clarified what you're looking for...

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

Does that carb have two A/F screws like a Weber DGAS?, If it does I would try closing one off and adjust it on the other but only on a open plenum manifold.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
littleray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

to catahoula lou, That's a great picture thanks. I'm getting a little pause when I step on the pedal. Mine has 4 adjusting screws, maybe I shouldn't have tried to adj some of them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

Littleray:

What distributor are you using?

Thom

Still looking for:
littleray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

To Catahoula Lou, My distributor is like the one in the picture except it's electronic ignition. I'm going to post a picture! I was thinking of going with an 009 dist? There's an adj screw behind the choke and I think that's the one I shouldn't have messed with.
littleray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

To earthquake, yes it does have 2 A/F screws, one in the back and one in the front.
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

The reason why I ask about your distributor is that I had been putting up with a hesitation similar to yours with my 009. My neighbor gave me a box of VW stuff, including the SVDA shown in the picture and the hesitation disappeared when I installed it to test for selling on the Samba.

However, my mechanic says that he prefers 009s and can tune the hesitation out. Problem is, he had already done that, it came back before the SDVA installation, and I don't want to keep coming back...

If you decide to go with an SVDA, you'll need to use two vacuum hose sizes, slip one into the other, and secure as shown in the photo.

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
littleray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

To Catahoula Lou:
Here's the photos.

catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

It looks like you do have a SVDA. Have you taken off your air cleaner and operated your throttle to confirm that both accelerator tubes are squirting correctly? If one or both are not squirting cleanly/strongly, that could be the cause of your hesitation. As I recall, you'll need to take the top of the 38 off and use a can of carb cleaner with a little red tube to blow all passageways BOTH directions.

On another note, find the instructions that came with the 38 and go through them again. If you don't have them, I can email a PDF of them to you, if you PM your email to me.

Also, can't see if you've connected the tube that goes from the oil filler to the air filter. If you don't have it installed, make sure you plug the air filter inlet, as dirty air will bypass your air filter and go directly into your carb/engine.

Ultimately, you might have to take it to a trusted mechanic once for a correct setup...

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
50sboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

Also - run your distributor vacuum hose from the driver side end casting (like stock) and not the carb. That is an egr port and may not have enough vacuum to crank your advance when you need it. Then follow the Mixture Screw(s)/speed screw procedure in the instructions or on empis web site...similar to the progressive carb...it is basically the same as a weber dgas - which is the DGV carb family..
littleray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

To Catahoula Lou, Thanks for the info, please send me pdf of instructions, my email is ([email protected]). I bought the carb from Car Craft and the instructions they sent were not very good!.
littleray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

To 50sboy, Thanks for your input.
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

Littleray:

I bought mine from the same company, so likely same instructions. Can still send PDF if you want what likely will be a duplicate of what you already have.

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
littleray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

To Catahoula Lou, yes please send, just in case. Thanks
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

Littleray:

Will email PDF of instructions. Also, found PDF of how I solved my hesitation problem at one point, by raising the idle a bit.

Best,
Thom

Still looking for:
bugaddiction71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust EMPI 38 mm egas carb? Reply with quote

I have that pos carb and still fucking running that pos! Too it's never ran right for me. But I did get a 1600dp down to a 17.98 at 72mph. Bugaddiction71 on YouTube. Stock is about 21sec so i guess it works
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: