Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Case machining...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Case machining... Reply with quote

I've been researching, reading, checking feedback etc.
But I'd like advice from you on who does the best work.
Nothing special, just good quality machining, full flow, shuffle pins, stroke relief.
Most importantly, the Bob Hoover mods...the shops I've asked don't even know what it entails, and I don't want to be the Guinea pig.
Thanks!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

I do feel that Mr. Hoover's modifications do have benefits, but there have been tens of thousands of performance engines built without them without issue. They just don't seem to be must have modifications. If that is a must have for your machine shop resume, you may be searching a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

A small-time (in comparison to a big machine shop) machinist might be the best solution for you. There are members here who might chime-in. I'm sure their quality will far exceed high turnout machine shops. My machine shop is really hit-or-miss. I only continue to go because they'll fix any of their mess-ups for free, they're convenient because of proximity, and price. I can get a bored, stroked, full flow, and line-bored case machined for under $200. I would certainly suggest my machinist to anyone because of their lack of precision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the2ndcashboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
I would certainly suggest my machinist to anyone because of their lack of precision.

Umm, what?
If anything comes out perfect it just means your measuring tools are substandard.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

You can do the full flow and stroker clearancing yourself, with hand power tools. I agree with the above comment, that the Hoover mods aren't necessary. Not sure shuffle pins are critical either, unless you are building a 250+ HP drag monster.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
bpritchert87
The Idea Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

MConstable,

I am glad you brought this topic up. Not trying to thread jack but trying to add to the conversation. I had read very good things about Brothers machine shop. http://www.brothersvwmachineshop.com/

There doesn't seem to be an agreement between many on who is best machine shop or what mods are needed/recommended.. sort of like welded vs new cranks... DPR is atleast the most recommended place to get a welded crank but there doesn't seem to be the same standard for machining from what i have found.

Certainly, alot depends on the combo but if there was a general guideline to follow it would be helpful.. as is "I recommend shuffle pins once your are over xyz horsepower".. certainly, some machining is needed in general when building a stroker but what about the other mods being done?

I have been researching quite a while on the below topics and sure wish there was a general agreement on needed/recommended

shuffle pins (when are the needed/recommended who does the best work?)
lifter bore bushing (I have read that brothers machine shop is really good/the best but when is it needed.. after what lift etc)
Align boring (where to bring your case/who does quality work)
case decking
boring for larger cylinders
Full flow
drill and tap all of the oil gallies
Hoover mods
etc..

maybe someone with alot of experience will chime in and provide some more insight..

Neil68 posted his recommendation for shuffle pins/hp, thanks Neil! Cool

The Intelligence of a Man should not be measured by his age....

check out my sand rover t bug build! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287204
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

If you are confident enough to build an engine, I think you should be able to perform the "hoover" case mods. Understanding what you're doing and getting up the nerve to do it the first time, is half of the job. Then send the case out to brothers/rimco/etc for the specialty work. I've used Rimco for the last two cases, and was very happy. Their prices are in the upper range, but they caught an uneven side to side deck issue and corrected it for me.
SD
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

Rimco has been around since the first Cal-Look bug and under new management in the last few years. Brothers is the newest shop with possibly the newest high precision machines. There work is awesome, precise and fast. They did the lifter bores with groove, oil squirters, dished my Wiseco's, cut down cylinders and balanced everything perfectly (See my Pics). DPR for all the rotating parts. I did the lower Hoover mods myself. Call Brothers or Rimco and ask if you don't want to do them yourself. DMS (Demello) and FAT are also top notch but mainly cater to Racers.
And I just saw you are from Florida so Fisher Buggies is a great place that's been around for years (decades). They also have one of the fastest VW's on the planet.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

And I always have to throw this in just to be an ass......all of the Hoover mods are already in type 4 engines from the factory.... Wink Laughing
Ray
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

hoover mods not necessary Shocked well oil isant necessary either Rolling Eyes neither is new bearings or good line bore or good valve guides, straight crank, good lobes. just look at all the wore out crap running around. I did all my "hoover" mods before I ever heard of him. so.....to me there just normal engine building practices along with a lot more.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

A while back I contacted brothers and Rimco for welding up the thrust on a type IV and some other type IV stuff. Brothers said they did not weld up thrust saddles and I felt like I had to break their arm to do anything else. Rimco was way more enthused and did the work I wanted. My case was too far gone so I did not have the work done to comment on.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

You could contact Rocky Jennings He may do that kind of thing. (Hoover Mods) He will likely reject your case though he is pretty particular about cases.
Rocky Jennings did my lifter bores:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

the2ndcashboy wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:
I would certainly suggest my machinist to anyone because of their lack of precision.

Umm, what?

Wouldn't. Left letters out.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

Does anyone know a machine shop that decks the halves of the crankcase by referring to the main tunnel's true center, instead of the case halves?

I had to tell my machinist why it needed to be done and we came up with solutions on how to perform the job. I've gotten two cases back since then, and they've been only a couple thousandths off per side.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Does anyone know a machine shop that decks the halves of the crankcase by referring to the main tunnel's true center, instead of the case halves?

I had to tell my machinist why it needed to be done and we came up with solutions on how to perform the job. I've gotten two cases back since then, and they've been only a couple thousandths off per side.

That's along the lines of the Hoover mods. Decking to the crank does have merit, but that's not the way VW machined the cases from the factory. It also comes down to cost. Decking to the crank does require extra measurement, and setup time, regaurdless of how short, or long that extra set up takes. There is a small percent that would be willing to pay more than a simple deck to the parting line. I've seen standard decking around $50-$70, and you would be surprised at how many would decline the decking to the crank if they were told they would have to pay even an extra $20-$30 for it. May I ask how much your machinist charged you for your decking to the crank?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

$50. I don't think he does it for everyone unless they bring it up. He has something that simulates a crankshaft main journal that he checks off of.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
A while back I contacted brothers and Rimco for welding up the thrust on a type IV and some other type IV stuff. Brothers said they did not weld up thrust saddles and I felt like I had to break their arm to do anything else. Rimco was way more enthused and did the work I wanted. My case was too far gone so I did not have the work done to comment on.

This would be the first time I have ever heard anything bad about Brothers Machine.
My Take on this is you were asking them to do unrealistic work on a case that was too far gone AND they are not willing to put their good name on it.. Yes they could do it; would it be worth it....No. They are too busy for for saving junk case and probably didn't want to insult you with a crazy high labor charge.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

I wouldent have rip off me co do squat. brother didnt want to do it because it wasent a good idea. when you find somebody willing to do something stupid or rong draw a circle around them and remember to stay away. those bronze lifter bores are nice but still need a small trough ofr the over stroke of the lifter so it gets oil to the pushrod/rocker/shaft/head full tyme . the groove just sends it to the next lifter but dosent address the timed spirt that needs to be a full time flow.
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

Ok, dumb question for today, how does the grooved lifter bore sleeves help lifter oiling?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Case machining... Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:

I considered making bushings to deck the case with it assembled and the bearings in place using the AMC-c4 mill, but not sure if it would really save any time, and i don't think anybody would ever pay to have it done. There is also a lack of sturdy places to fixture the case in this way.

A very simple way, is measure where the line bore is in relation to the case split, then mark how much shim to put at each corner to make it even. You could do that yourself, with the handy "indicator in a block" tool (height gauge). If the machinist is not familiar with using shim stock of different thickness to level blocks and heads before resurfacing, then, it can be up to you to educate them or not Wink that's how everything is done on "real" engines
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: