Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600cc to 1800cc upgrade
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: 1600cc to 1800cc upgrade Reply with quote

Is the 1600 and 1800 casing interchangeable? I have a 1600 for a 71 super beetle and was wondering if I could upgrade it to a 1800 easily?
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc to 1800cc upgrade Reply with quote

Depends on the definition of "easily." To get to 1800 exactly, you need a 74mm crank and 88mm pistons. The stock setup is 85.5mm pistons X 69mm crank. If you have no engine/mechanical experience, then maybe not easy. You can buy the "slip in" 88mm pistons to avoid machining the case, but machining of the heads (or new heads) is required. Alone, (with the head size increase and stock crank) the 88mm pistons get you to 1679, but to go larger, a complete tear down and build up is needed to put in a larger crankshaft. And once you tear it down, who knows what you will find. Likely you will need many other new parts to replace old, worn out ones. Not to mention that the case itself may need more work. Before you go any further read a bunch in the Engine forum, then check your budget, then decide which direction you want to go. If you have an expert in your area, talk to them for advice. Good luck.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc to 1800cc upgrade Reply with quote

If by 1800 you mean type-4, then, they are not any interchangeable parts, besides.....I can't think of any, well, it's 90% different.
redbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc to 1800cc upgrade Reply with quote

@bamadave The plan is to tear it all the way down and rebuild it I just wasn't sure if I would be able to keep the same casing and make it an 1800 by exactly that, replacing the heads and all other parts.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc to 1800cc upgrade Reply with quote

redbuggy wrote:
@bamadave The plan is to tear it all the way down and rebuild it I just wasn't sure if I would be able to keep the same casing and make it an 1800 by exactly that, replacing the heads and all other parts.

You could tear down the 1600cc engine, have the case and cylinder heads bored and make into larger 1776 or 1835cc engine relatively easily in terms of mechanical ability, like rebuilding a stock engine. Machining will cost some, larger pistons & cylinders will cost some, but you could stay same camshaft and carburetion if your budget had constraints. I would add a combination oil pump/filter though, like CB Maxi2.

Myself: I've run 1835cc engine for 4 decades now, stock camshaft, nothing special on heads, single Weber carb, Quiet exhaust, CB Maxi2. Like it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1600cc to 1800cc upgrade Reply with quote

http://www.aircooled.net/1800cc-vw-engine-no-machine-combo/

Great article...spells it out
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: