Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Babin wrote:
Coolant would get in the crank case from the cylinder base right? I didn't saw anything about putting sealant at the cylinder base.

Screen shot from Ben's Place....... Clearly shown on the upper right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

While I'm sure adding Locktite 518 is an ok practice, the only thing the Orings need is a bit of oil or light grease. Same with Pushrod tube seals. I use some added dirco to the cylinder base but it's not necessary. He'll be just fine.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Yep, Oring + petroleum product will seal well....

But Oring with a proven sealer compound will in all probability seal better and for longer on a used surface, especially the "fragile" O ring seal surfaces on the aluminum heads.

Hopefully he didn't slip in the Orings dry.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Yep, Oring + petroleum product will seal well....

But Oring with a proven sealer compound will in all probability seal better and for longer.

Hopefully he didn't slip in the Orings dry.

Dave

I totally agree.. A little lube makes everything fit better.

I actually think that is the benefit of 518, it appears to create a slimy film that doesn't wash away. I have worked on quite a few vans with it slathered all over the place due to some recommendations on here.. Don't understand using it on fuel line connections.. Just sayin.
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

It took forever to put the engine back in. The needle (pilot) bearing had gotten smaller somehow. We had to use a very small grinder to get the hole bigger (1mm). But it was finally in yesterday by the end of day. Today all wire back, BUT NO OIL PRESSURE!!.... Even the gauge read zero. I would really appreciate any help in resolving this. I fear the oil pickup is block, since I didn't open the case I never got to check this far in. I did put 4.5L of 20w50 oil. I also filled the filter before installing it.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Oil pump lost prime. Quick shot of air in the dipstick tube from your compressor while turning it over will take care of it lickity split.. No sh..
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

I can't wait to try... thanks a million in advanced if it work!!!!!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Babin wrote:
It took forever to put the engine back in. The needle (pilot) bearing had gotten smaller somehow. We had to use a very small grinder to get the hole bigger (1mm). But it was finally in yesterday by the end of day. Today all wire back, BUT NO OIL PRESSURE!!.... Even the gauge read zero. I would really appreciate any help in resolving this. I fear the oil pickup is block, since I didn't open the case I never got to check this far in. I did put 4.5L of 20w50 oil. I also filled the filter before installing it.

No oil pressure? That's a major bummer!

I hope the air trick works for you.

You ground the pilot bearing down?!?
Metal Doesn't shrink like that, there's a bigger problem you masked over. I hope it doesn't come back to bite you.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Just in case this doesn't work. Any other way to prime the oil pump? Was there a way for me to avoid this during reassembly? Something I miss out?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Babin wrote:
..Was there a way for me to avoid this during reassembly?

Haven't had to do this on a WBX but on other engines I have packed the oil pump with Vaseline to help it get primed at initial start-up.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

spin the oil filter loose, then crank. When you make a mess, tighten it back up and crank for pressure.

Worst case remove the filter, and pump oil into the center part of the filter adapter, while rotating the engine backward by hand (to prime the pump gears).

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

All good tips.....

Here's mine: disconnect the coil from the distributor so that you can crank but not start the engine while circulating oil/verifying pressure.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Thanks T3 Pilot,

I had done that (crank with disconnected coil) prior to starting the engine for the first time. I cranked for like 30 sec.

The engine actually run 4 time 10-20 sec each time trying to get/measure pressure. Hopefully no damage. I hope this bearing guard grease was good enough to lower the amount of damage.

I will try the compress air first thing in the morning. Then I will move on to the oil filter ideas.
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

jberger!!! You rocks!

A couple of small air shoot while crank and it quickly builded pressure again. Wow..

Now I think the lifter empty out while I was trying yesterday because the engine didn't sound that great at first. Cyl 1 sound like it's got a lifter not totally pressure up. What would be the best thing to do to get it good. I'm still in the coolant filling (3 gal out of 4) part of it before I try breaking in the motor. I would tend to run it for a couple of minute until the clic clic end up and then readjust the valves rocker before breaking in. What do you think?

Last edited by Babin on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

What great way to start the day!!!! 👍

The lifter will pump up soon.

If you properly adjusted them during assembly there shouldn't be a need for readjustment but individual cases do vary.

Mine were one adjustment and done with no issues. I had cleaned filled and reused mine.

Best wishes!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Thanks Dave!!

I really appreciate all the help.
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

I still have that clong-clong noise after 3-5 minute at 2000 rpm trying to get the coolant purge up. How long should I expect to run the engine before the lifter noise go away? Should I re-adjust the valve? after a certain amount of time maybe?
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Babin wrote:
I still have that clong-clong noise after 3-5 minute at 2000 rpm trying to get the coolant purge up. How long should I expect to run the engine before the lifter noise go away? Should I re-adjust the valve? after a certain amount of time maybe?

Every engine is different. I've had some lifters pump up very very quickly while others can take as long a 45 minutes of driving to fully quieten down.
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

Ok! run it for 5-7 minutes this morning at 2000 rpm to finish the coolant purging process and the ticking was a lot better right off the start. I will now adjust the the valve rockers and check all the lifter are hard and nicely primed. Then I will break the piston rings and lifter procedure by going on the road at high rpm and on hill climb at high RPM as suggested by Dave.
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

I did as best as possible to break the rings and new lifter in as Dave suggested. Then I drop the oil while the motor was still hot and filled it again.

Two thing are worrying me at the moment. There was a serious constant hissing noise at high RPM (3000-3500). That would go away when I pressed the clutch. There also is a bit of oil dripping at the front of the engine. I'm afraid that would come from the flywheel seal area. What do you think?

Other than that there was good power and an ok engine noise. I will let it sit until tomorrow for the pistons and rings to cool all the way down.
Babin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: July 2016 engine job ~ 1991 Vanagon Multivan Reply with quote

My engine bay after the refeshed motor.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: