Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn Signals---cancelling
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Turn Signals---cancelling Reply with quote

Just noticed the post on the turn signal fuse, and reminded me of this question about my turn signals. This has been going on for years, and I got so use to it I learned to live with it. Turn signals on my car will not cancel---they have to be cancelled by hand. How can that be corrected? Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Turn Signals---cancelling Reply with quote

Purely going off memory here......will have to look later.

But there are three issues that are all related/linked.

1. The steering wheel has a tang that trips a short tab or detent pawl that is spring loaded inward into the path of the tand that is part of the steering wheel.

A the wheel turns while you make the turn....it comes into contact with the pawl and pushes it outward canceling the signal.

The wimplest problem can be the gap between the steering wheel hub and the plastic outer housing that holds the turn signal mechanism. If its too big the tang passes overhead of the pawl and you get no cancel.

For the most part the turn signal mechanism is the same as late type 3. The Bentley manual for type 3 states a gap of 2-3mm. I have always used a measurement of 3/32".

The adjustment for the mechanism is the pinch bolt down under the lower housing. It has an access hole and is 8mm Allen key.

2. Because of the above relationship......if the tang is broken or chipped .......or worn off shorter because it was installed with too little gap it can stop the turn signal for canceling.

3. The most common issue is the little plastic pawl being broken.....it has a tab sticking out on the end.....or worn.....or have broken or missing spring....or just plain gummed up.

As usual....long ago I went away from petroleum based grease on this area. Use Superlube. You will notice that the parts in this mechanism are nylon....and over the years.....they turn amber colored from the petroleum grease.

The darker the yellow the more brittle the parts have become.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: