Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prospective engine build: 2007
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

brand new - just broke in - change oil/filter then hit Woodburn for the weekend. - but yeah, will be watching the valves. Thanks.
rev
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Cut the old filter open and take a look. Hopefully its just a bit of "break in" and not full.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Got the MSD installed, moved the coil to firewall. Sure does change to appearance of the engine bay. It's like it's empty, now.
Was wondering about the MSD run on, how to hook up the diode with an external regulator- apparently I missed the memo that with an external reg run-on is not likely an issue. It wasn't (or hasn't been yet.?)

The whole system (new to me) came with a 6000 rpm revlmiter pill. Shopping around, noted that they mostly come in packs of 5 (much like the Auto-meter shift light pills).
Who is it the folk are using the rev limiter that they need such a range? Is it being used in tandem with shift light? Just wondering.

Getting ready shoe races on saturday. Will post number for those curious.

Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Night started off good- 14.099 off the bat, first run in the heat.
Everything else was in the 14.3
Except for the run I coasted through the trap, 14.99, to keep from breaking out.
Lost in 2nd round of elemination- 14.39 in a 14.3 dial in against a 15.56 on a 15.5 dial in.
Fun night racing. Gotta get seat time to work on clutch management. And a set of slicks. Yeah.
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Installing home grown version of the jet doctor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last weekend, disintegrated a fan belt. Blew shrapnel all over the the bay.

Borrowed one from theBaker to finish t the night.

Times were down by almost .5sec. Further observation and reflection after the fact-
-previous times were run shifting at 6000. Of late been shifting @ 6200 & 6400.
- throttle cable pulled a smidged from linkage leaving it short of WOT.

With one more race, still hope for 13's.

I may head out in a non VW night.
69 Bwajaja

Last edited by Mikedrevguy on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Not the fastest, but. .

69 Bwajaja

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Good Job! That is a Trophy to be proud of
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff.
Great video!
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Latest and greatest,
Had I been able to overcome the .085 deficit at the line, I would I have ended up alone at the top of the leader board.
As it is, I am tied with P. Gradwell for the series championship.
With a season best 14.09. The best I could do is 14.2

However,
Sunday afternoon, car wouldn't start, except with starter fluid, and the would run fine, though stumble in acceleration.
After it was warm, would start okay, though still stumble
Observed that none of the squirters were squirting.
Today, discovered that the pins connecting the accelerator pump linkage were awol.
Found them, replaced, and fired right up.
Having a hard time believing both fell out one night, I wonder how long the first one had been out.. . And what impact that had in my times,
Next year. Next year,

69 Bwajaja

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Sweeeeeeet! More Trophys!

14.0 is still moving good. Faster then alot of mustangs and camaros, and you combo is mild!
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Thanks again.
Next year, I'd like to be in a dedicated car, rather than my DD. But I'd still like to get the Super under 14. Then I could really move on.

We'll see what the next 6 months hold.
69 Bwajaja

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Good job.

I drag race my street VW just as much as I do my dedicated drag Dunebuggy. I won my first track Championship running 16's & 17's.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Good job.

I drag race my street VW just as much as I do my dedicated drag Dunebuggy. I won my first track Championship running 16's & 17's.

Very cool Dave, that's a good accomplishment. Being consistent shifting gears in a VW is a lot more impressive then automatic cars just holding the gas pedal down till they cross the line.

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Prospective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Cold start this morning, car fired up and idled right away. No struggling before smoothing out. Guess that's the benefit of having the accelerator pump linkage functioning on all barrels?
69 Bwajaja

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: