Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn replacement... Easy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
... and he immediately acknowledged with hand gesture before he turned his head and looked. ...

I've seen that same scenario in SoCal traffic. I thought it was going to be another road rage incident. Twisted Evil

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

the bottom line is louder horn(s) can be installed. a relay will often allow more current to flow to a given horn and preserve horn button contacts.

the original poster may be happy with the stock horn but his horn may be suffering from wear and tear, or poor ele trical connections and is thus not as loud as it should be.

a soft sounding horn some may like, but a loud horn is best for safety, it should be meant to be heard above background noise, and get ones atentuon immediatly. a loud horn may prevent an accident, save a life.

air horns can be very loud but if you dont have a pressure tank and only depend on a compressor to power them, there can be a delay in them sounding as the compressor takes time to generate the blast of air. it is often less than a second, but at high speed a second can count.

a wimpy horn may not be heard by people with hearing disabilities, heard in a closed up car full of scraming kids, or loud radio, or a pedestrian with a headset.

I suggest if someone wants a soft friendly horn that they invest in a second horn for such pleasantries, retaining a loud horn for warning purposes.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Colorjazz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
the bottom line is louder horn(s) can be installed. a relay will often allow more current to flow to a given horn and preserve horn button contacts.

the original poster may be happy with the stock horn but his horn may be suffering from wear and tear, or poor ele trical connections and is thus not as loud as it should be.

a soft sounding horn some may like, but a loud horn is best for safety, it should be meant to be heard above background noise, and get ones atentuon immediatly. a loud horn may prevent an accident, save a life.

air horns can be very loud but if you dont have a pressure tank and only depend on a compressor to power them, there can be a delay in them sounding as the compressor takes time to generate the blast of air. it is often less than a second, but at high speed a second can count.

a wimpy horn may not be heard by people with hearing disabilities, heard in a closed up car full of scraming kids, or loud radio, or a pedestrian with a headset.

I suggest if someone wants a soft friendly horn that they invest in a second horn for such pleasantries, retaining a loud horn for warning purposes.

Thanks this is what I was looking for... I will install a relay and get a louder horn... this weekend!

Thanks to all!
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
The big story summarized, the lede was hidden in my previous post Smile

Vanagon has relay in the dual horn set up.

No relay in single horn set up.

Alistair

That's interesting Alistair, my 85 has a relay and had only one horn. It now has the horns from the engine doner car (Jetta) and they have a great sound.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

A horn is necessary to pass inspection. Thats it. Replace as cheaply as you can.

You don't need a horn when you get cut off. The driving incident is already over. Save rage for the golf course.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

I needed a loud horn today when I was stuck in fast moving traffic behind a fuel truck and had a tahoe on my left and a tow truck trying to merge into me. My extra loud horn saved my car from being smashed.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
A horn is necessary to pass inspection. Thats it. Replace as cheaply as you can.

You don't need a horn when you get cut off. The driving incident is already over. Save rage for the golf course.

some folks need it to express rage at the handicap folks evidently.

yes you can replace it cheaply, but louder is better I say, dont skimp on volume. where i live we have no inspection law excpet for the smog nazis.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Michael4104 wrote:
ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
The big story summarized, the lede was hidden in my previous post Smile

Vanagon has relay in the dual horn set up.

No relay in single horn set up.

Alistair

That's interesting Alistair, my 85 has a relay and had only one horn. It now has the horns from the engine doner car (Jetta) and they have a great sound.

Well that's what you get for making blanket statements, someone comes along and points out the exception.

Smile

I thought I was right only from looking at the German wiring diagrams and comparing to the English language diagrams in Bentley. I posted the German diagram in the message before my blanket statement. Maybe you could compare what you have with that. Or then again maybe we could just get on with life

Cheers

Alistair

Ps I don't mean my message to sound sarcastic, often they come across that way but it's not meant
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Wasserboxer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

I just replace for two Bosh in the same place were us to be the original...

Sound pretty strong ...
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Chase4food,

Thanks for the link to the horn ring. Didn't know anyone was making that.

So, my problem was as someone described above where the springy contact tab ground off at an angle, then got sharp as a razor and one day when I was turning, I felt resistance and then a pop. Later looked and it appeared the tab dug into the copper ring and bent itself. I managed to carefully bend it back into shape, dull the edge and made a mental note to find a way to fix it back to original, but never did. I have a feeling they are all slowly doing the same thing if others have seen this.

So the ring on mine was fine, it was indeed that copper-looking springy part. It's heat/plastic welded into the steering wheel if I recall, or perhaps into a hub thing. I seem to recall looking up the part and being pissed it was $70 or something.

So, was wondering if anyone's figured a fix since we'll all be doing it some day.

Doug

PS - missed the action above that was deleted - what happened?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Interesting.

A horn serves a single purpose: alert someone when they're about to hit you. It should be loud as hell to help all parties continue with the adventure of the day.

I have high db horns on my motorcycles and van and I'm fortunate to only have needed to use it for safety purposes a few times in the last several years (once, a driver fell asleep driving on the West Seattle bridge and hit me despite the horn blast).

A very loud horn:
http://www.amazon.com/Stebel-Nautilus-Universal-Motorcycles-Scooters/dp/B00CMX20H4

Horns should be loud, engine exhaust should be quiet.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
JustsomeKentuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

A horn serves a single purpose: alert someone when they're about to hit you. It should be loud as hell to help all parties continue with the adventure of the day.

This.

As a professional driver (that is, a person who is paid to drive) I have been required to take the Smith Driving System training...the same training UPS requires all delivery truck drivers to take.

In the training it is stated "better to honk and be seen than to not honk and risk an accident". Drivers are taught to use the horn as an alert to another driver. Since you cannot control the actions of other drivers, you can at least make sure they are aware of you.
JustsomeKentuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

I have no understanding of electrical systems or diagrams. Would someone link or explain the "relay" and what it does?
I figure it doesn't delay the sound when the button is pressed Wink
So what does it do?
Thanks!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

JustsomeKentuck wrote:
I have no understanding of electrical systems or diagrams. Would someone link or explain the "relay" and what it does?
So what does it do?
Thanks!

The relay provides an alternate electrical path to the horn. This makes the path to the horn have less resistance than the OG path. The relay is a switch for the better path and the switch is activated by the OG circuit. The OG circuit causes the coil to become magnetic and that attracts and closes the better path to the horn. The horn gets more power and the OG switch gets less wear from large loads.

MODERATOR NOTE: this wiring diagram is not for VW horns!
You cannot follow this and have it work!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JustsomeKentuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
JustsomeKentuck wrote:
So what does it do?
Thanks!

The relay provides an alternate electrical path to the horn. This makes the path to the horn have less resistance than the OG path. The relay is a switch for the better path and the switch is activated by the OG circuit. The OG circuit causes the coil to become magnetic and that attracts and closes the better path to the horn. The horn gets more power and the OG switch gets less wear from large loads.

MODERATOR NOTE: this wiring diagram is not for VW horns!
You cannot follow this and have it work!

Aloha
tp

Thanks. That kinda helps.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Lots of posts about upgrading the horns.......

The '86 and up Vans with the upgraded fuse/relay panel are designed to accept a relay in position 6. Wiring connects to the back of the panel at plug L

I use this awesome diagram.......

http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/dual_horns_wiring_diagram.gif
(Thanks Haywood)

Love those coloured wires!

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
On a recent trip to the U-Pull boneyard, I pulled a few of my favorite horns at $2 apiece. Find 70s-80s Cadillacs. They are beautifully tuned and very loud. They actually sound reminiscent of a yacht horn for elegance and I think that was intentional.
I have the Hella Supertones on a couple cars and the note is nothing special but durability has been good at 250,000 miles so far.

Doug

To me, nothing sounds better than the earlier A,C,D,F Cadillac Fleetwood 4 note horns, but I too opted for the hella super tones in the Thingamajigger.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Horn replacement can be easy but I suffer from PHCGS .......poor horn contact ground syndrome.

I would push the horn pad and get an anemic buzz and if I held it, maybe a feeble honk. The horns had been replaced with some Italian horns at some point and they were rusty ugly!! Plus,mthey were mounted with a wood screw designed for door hinges!

I purchased two new Wolo horns.

I installed them and wired them as VW had it wired and guess what? A feeble buzz!

Bad grounds! Darn VW grounds!

I tried tracing the horn ground wire and fixing the root of the problem..... But honestly? I Gave up as it vanished into the lower steering tube and goes to God only knows where? Bentley says the steering rack? I Didn't see it there.

So...... I tried a relay. You know, mask the problem instead of fixing it? (Something I Rarely do!)

I wired it in quick and sloppy as a test...... And I had horns!

Sadly, as I was diagnosing and figuring out how to wire in my relay, I Had jumpered the horn contacts to be always on to complete the ground path and I unplugged one horn.

Did you know that a horn that doesn't honk because of a bad ground gets scalding hot and emits a horrible burning odor? Embarassed

So..... I've purchased three (3) new horns instead of just two. 🤑

Now I need to figure out a way to weatherproof my horn relay ...... 🤔

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
JustsomeKentuck wrote:
So what does it do?
Thanks!

Aloha
tp

Please take note, this relay diagram I quoted above ^^^^^ is NOT correct for VW horn application.

This drawing shows the hot +12v side as being switched, IT IS NOT SO FOR THE HORN.

On the horn the -12v side is switched.

I'll make a quick drawing of the proper wiring for the relay.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

While not a fancy drawing, when adding a relay to your horn system you need to think "backwards".

In most electric wiring of any voltage you are disconnecting the plus (+) hot power source.
Not here.......

You Are switching the ground, not the +12v line.

Pushing the horn button and releasing it makes and breaks ground to the horn.

The problem is that the horn ground has become compromised and can no longer sound the horn but rather produces a feeble vibration.

The problem lies with the horn contact system in the steering wheel or more likely with the ground system at the front steering gear box.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660990

You need to rewire your horns, as they are wired they have a constant +12 volts to them and the horn button provides the ground path, a long laborious path!

I wired my horns to ground at the horn mount.
I wired the fused factory +12v into a common relay.

Now when you push the horn button, you activate the relay coil which closes the contact points which in turn allows +12v to surge immediately forward and work the well grounded horn.

Such a good feeling having a horn that works when the need arises!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: