Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig coolant Temps
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="insyncro"][quote="thasty07"]
insyncro wrote:
thasty07 wrote:
insyncro wrote:

I have only had them run that hot when something was wrong.

!

So your saying 235 is running hot?

I am not saying that.
I am saying the Zetecs I have dealt with run cooler than yours and a new cooling system and the ability to properly breath is what is making the difference....IMO.

Thanks for the feedback, I just wanted to try and get a baseline from some experienced people is all! Sounds like people run around 235 but with you rebuilding the entire cooling system, its just is more efficient so it runs cooler.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
You have the wrong thread title. The temp you are asking about is the cylinder head temp, not coolant temp. Big difference. The various OBD readers like the UltraGuage don't label it correctly but that is how it is. The metal of the head is one of the hottest parts of the engine. Most cars have a coolant temp sender for the ECU but not the Focus versions of the Zetec used in the Bostig conversions. They have a temp sender that screws into the metal of the head instead of a temp sender somewhere in the flow of the coolant leaving the head. The OBD readers assume it is a coolant sensor and wrongly call it that. So the higher temp is expected because of where the temp sender is located.

Mark

Yes, thanks Mark.

I also wire a coolant sensor into a billet block that is inline.
This upgrade is shown in various Bostig build threads.

Knowing head temp and coolant temp is a really big plus when diagnosing issues, but again, with new parts at the time of the conversion will limit most issues for many miles.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the conversions also use a coolant temp sender for the van's temp gauge but the OBD system doesn't know about that one.

Mark

insyncro wrote:

I also wire a coolant sensor into a billet block that is inline.
This upgrade is shown in various Bostig build threads.

Knowing head temp and coolant temp is a really big plus when diagnosing issues, but again, with new parts at the time of the conversion will limit most issues for many miles.
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hottest my van runs down in florida over the last few years that i have seen is 225 on the Scan Gauge. Cruising on XWay 220 and under in the heat. If the weather is cool 200 to 215.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRT to PCV hose on the intake manifold:

Mine was collapsing under high vacuum. Looked fine until you hit the gas.
I fixed this by installing a spring inside the tube.

My coolant system is also 100% new as of this spring so I feel like my numbers represent a healthy system.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
WRT to PCV hose on the intake manifold:

Mine was collapsing under high vacuum. Looked fine until you hit the gas.
I fixed this by installing a spring inside the tube.

My coolant system is also 100% new as of this spring so I feel like my numbers represent a healthy system.

Glad to hear the spring worked.
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig coolant Temps Reply with quote

Hey Gang,

I thought I would ping this thread with this question(s):

A lot of good information here. I just had my first start, and I believe I am having the vacuum hose issue happening. I will look closer at that. When I go to rev the engine, it has a signification hesitation, and I have to walk the rpms up. I am glad I found this discussion.

More importantly, how the heck do you add, bleed the coolant system? I had a good method with the WBX with Libby Bong, with bleeder open in the front while running, and that seemed to work well. Bostig does not mention that. I don't see any other way to get water to run up hill Confused The snag I noticed, if using this technique, is the fill tower is eclipsed by the engine compartment opening. I was thinking of making a spacer, to space this out from the passenger side for this reason. I did some searching, but could not find much. I may ping the RG6 thread as well. Thanks again all, Fran
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig coolant Temps Reply with quote

Franagon wrote:

More importantly, how the heck do you add, bleed the coolant system? I had a good method with the WBX with Libby Bong, with bleeder open in the front while running, and that seemed to work well.

Its pretty much the same.
Its easiest if you are starting with a fresh install, as residual coolant in the system can trap bubbles. If your engine and rad are dry, it will be easy.
Park nose down. Open rad bleeder. Fill from cap. It will take a bit of driving around with the grill off and a 13mm wrench to crack the bleeder but it all eventually comes out.
If you have a Ultragauge or Torque app its easy and safe to just drive until it gets hot. You can have almost 100% confidence you aren't overheating things when you are reading head temps off the computer.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WandS wrote:
The hottest my van runs down in florida over the last few years that i have seen is 225 on the Scan Gauge. Cruising on XWay 220 and under in the heat. If the weather is cool 200 to 215.

This describes my experience better than some earlier posts. My temps run much closer to this (200 - 220 on the Ultragauge). The only times I've seen over 235 was when there was a bubble in the system. This includes many mountain passes but not much time at temps above 85*.

FWIW

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig coolant Temps Reply with quote

Thanks buildyourown,

I just like to ask around when I am attempting to do things outside of the Bostig manual. In this case, did not expect to do anything that different for burping the system. Still have to get the fill point higher, I was just not sure about running the engine with that set up. I will get it on ramps this week and jack from the cradle if I need more height. I measured about 12" difference from fill tower to rad bleeder. I may also make a different 'bong' for the back, for something I can have for roadside on long trips. (It's kind of flat around here Smile ) I finally learned all I needed to from having my 1.9. Good thing I already replaced a lot of the cooling system through that venture, so I didn't have to deal with an old radiator, etc.

Thanks once again for the reassurance!
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig coolant Temps Reply with quote

Just a report back... I did some more coolant burping last night then my idle datalog. I still have a little air in that I will get out. I found that once I got the rear of my van on ramps, the rad bleeder got closer to the ground as the rear went up, so the rad bleed was lower than the fill point. I think I took in almost another gallon. I still bled a little more air out when the engine was up to temp at the rad bleed screw.

Anyone have any info on the spring for the vacuum hose going to the PCV valve/crank breather? I noticed mine, it looks like someone put on a plastic (or hard rubber) 90 degree fitting off the intake and hose from there. Just go to a hardware store with the hose and try to find something?

Once I checked my datalog myself, I decided to do a little drive since my coolant temps looked good, fan coming on, etc. Either things are still not tuned very well or I expected too much from this transformation. I really hate to say it, but I was not too impressed. I came from a 1.9 WBX as well, so that should be a pretty substantial difference. Just different power delivery or something? Embarassed I guess I need to remember my goal was reliability and a little more umph for the hills.
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig coolant Temps Reply with quote

Franagan, thanks for your coolant comments. I'm nearing switch-on and was starting to review the coolant bleeding issues, having read that it's tricky. I also wound up with some new heater hose fairly high above the trans, slightly higher than the Zetec thermostat, and wondered if I'd created a problem for myself. Time will tell. It sounds like persistence is key, and that it's never a one-step deal.

Sorry to hear you are underwhelmed by the driving feel. My own expectations are modest as well, but I do expect a bit more liveliness. Water boxer 1.9 specs are hard to pin down, but something like 84 hp @ 4300 and 115 ft/lbs @ 3200. Bostig's quoted Zetec specs are 130 hp @ 5300 and 135 ft/lbs @ 4000. From these, I'm certainly expecting to feel a bump. But it definitely comes at a whole other rpm level. If you drive at the "old" rpms it would probably feel very similar. Maybe you're being a little tentative with it. Have you sent your read-outs to Jim?
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig coolant Temps Reply with quote

The torque of the Zetec does come on slower than the WBX. It makes less torque at 2000rpm. Which makes it feel a little slow off the line especially if you are loaded.
However, where the WBX needs to be shifted at 4k, the Zetec pulls hard to 5 and 6k. It feels pretty comfortable to climb in 3rd at 5k and you dont have to be worried about overheating or throwing a rod.
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig coolant Temps Reply with quote

Buildyourown, that's about what I've been expecting. I do like to get off on logging roads and the like and I've been wondering if I'll miss the torque at the very lowest speeds for picking one's way up a rock-strewn incline. If so, I doubt it'll be a big deal but can imagine a little extra clutch-slipping. I imagine I'll find it a reasonable trade off for having some highway speed again.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig coolant Temps Reply with quote

If power is not what you expected, two possible causes: vacuum leak, or firing on only three cylinders.
I'm assuming throttle is WOT when fully depressing the gas pedal....
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig coolant Temps Reply with quote

Hunh, interesting. I always shifted my WBX 1.9 at about 5k RPM. Shocked Not sure it would go anywhere if I didn't! Well and my tach isn't working, so I don't really know an RPM reference. Good thoughts JudoJeff on the vac leaks and the firing of all the cylinders. It 'sounds' like it is firing on all. I think harder to tell on an I4 than the opposed piston 4 cyl. I am 98% sure on the throttle cable and setting that. On my 10 mile test drive I don't think I ever had the pedal floored, due to a habit driving my 1.9 I suppose. Had someone help me on pressing the gas pedal, etc. Spent a decent amount of time on that. Hmmmm, vacuum leak, that could be a possibility I suppose. I have seen the threads here on how to check for that. Interesting thought. I thought I was getting close, but I am feeling that slip away. Had some datalogging issues and I think my tuner is toast. "Error 10007" Confused Oh, yes, I assumed my WBX to be an 84 whopping hp out of the box. At best I was pushing 80 hp. I had to admit it did quite well on many occasions on flat ground. $8 - $9k and another 50 hp, would seem real noticeable! Well, it cranks and idles in my driveway better than my WBX ever did, so I guess I am moving forward. Thanks all for the comments, always very appreciated!
CampWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig coolant Temps Reply with quote

Franagon wrote:
Once I checked my datalog myself, I decided to do a little drive since my coolant temps looked good, fan coming on, etc. Either things are still not tuned very well or I expected too much from this transformation. I really hate to say it, but I was not too impressed. I came from a 1.9 WBX as well, so that should be a pretty substantial difference. Just different power delivery or something? Embarassed I guess I need to remember my goal was reliability and a little more umph for the hills.

Something is almost definitely amiss. I came from a 1.9 WBX too. My primary reason going with Bostig was reliability, but the power of the Zetec was unexpected, and pretty noticeable in my opinion. For example, I had a pretty significant improvement in my 0 - 60 times. Similar conditions, flat road, payload, etc.:

Original 1.9 Waterboxer: 32.5 seconds
Bostig engine conversion: 18 seconds

Like others said, you can certainly rev the Zetec higher. My average shift point with the WBX was around 4000 RPMs. On the Zetec, it's probably 4500 - 5000 RPMs. Going up a hill, or if I really need to get moving, I run it out to 6000 RPMs or so.

I would get a good log and send it to Jim. He'll be able to sort out any issues you are having.
Vanagon Nation Facebook Group

Instrument Cluster Foil Repair Kits - Fix your faulty blue foil for good!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: