Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

So I got a new front parking brake cable installed today (old one was bent and had a seriously frozen nut), and took the time to dremel off all of the springs on each cable (per the original smallcar instructions). My thinking was that the arm wasn't actuating far in enough, just binding on the coil instead.

Well with no springs in the way I adjusted and adjusted and got the thing so damn tight that it took both arms to pull the lever up to one click Shocked
....and still the wheel in the air is loose as can be. There is still a little bit of travel left on the pivot arms but the combined resistance of those two brake springs at that point is absurd. And I'm really just working with like the last 20% of travel at this point.

So I feel pretty confident in declaring that something mechanical inside the calipers is not doing it's job. These brakes (and the springs next to them) are pretty rusty from what I presume is the PO doing a lot of beach driving. Perhaps the parking brake internal actuator is just borked? hydraulic brakes work fine FWIW.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
My thinking was that the arm wasn't actuating far in enough, just binding on the coil instead.

Dang you can tell if it;s coilbinding just pull the brake and see if theres andy remaining space between the coils. I think those coils are necessary to return the cable and let off the actuator, for wintertime, freezing water, or as they dry out over time.

My calipers were corroded inside, I took them apart and cleaned, greased, unfroze. In addition there is a process to "set" the parking brake mechanism. If you pump the pads out with the brake pedal, there's not enough remaining motion for the parking brake to auto-set and it will do what you say, come up hard with no squeeze on the disc.

But once you get squeeze on the disc, it's not much more anyway, theres not a huge difference between "frickin' zero" & "not much" braking.

I welded extensions onto my actuator arm (see a few posts back on this thread), and it holds the van on a ramp now. It has a detectable parking brake now (that holds on minor hills).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

I was definitely coilbinding before I did this work. I don't think the springs on the cable are necessary as they just double down on the force already provided by the Audi caliper spring. They're just a relic of the drum-brake setup; without them my e-brake returned just fine.

I should add the following statement because it has been the solution to other's parking brake problems:
Itt is not the cables. They slide freely by hand, and under incredible force the plastic "cups" do not collapse.

Anyways, Sodo your statement has really got me thinking that even if the parking brake is in good working order if it's not used for a really extended period of time in which the brakes wear down maybe it won't auto-adjust into range anymore?

Assuming it's the other thing, internal corrosion, I have seen a rebuild kit online. But damn if it look like a lot of work. Even just taking them apart seems like a PITA compared the assurance of just buying new/rebuilt parts. I'm not saying I have more money than time but I just have a lot going on right now to want to add "rebuild brake internals" to my list!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Possibly buy new calipers and do a cursory check, be sure they have the proper grease in the proper places. Sorry I'm on the road can't remember or link to the grease type. Maybe consider extending the actuator arms before install?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

I wanted to mention that when I was up in Lake Stevens junkyard scrounging ac parts I looked in an Aerostar and they have MUCH longer parking brake handles... Didn't measure, but interesting.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

I dont know why you guys persist with a mish mash of parts to cobble together a rear disc brake conversion when the T4 Eurovan rear disc brakes work absolutely fab see the pics I posted. The handbrake works much much better than the shitty drums it replaced having no trouble holding at traffic lights on hills of all types (i have a manual trans). A mate has this set up on his syncro and raves about it. How hard is it going to be for the next guy to work out what parts to buy when servicing the brakes. Mine are all T4 eurovan off the shelf.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Phil I agree, I don't understand why the T4 brake is not a contender here in the US. The Eurovan weighs 5200 lbs which compares well to a Syncro Westfalia (5000 lbs). Why in heck are so many kits from an Audi 100/5000 that weighs only 2400 lbs? It's pretty reasonable to assume that the brake from a 2400lb vehicle would offer only 1/2 the braking power of a unit from a 5,000 lb vehicle. And even the Audi folks complain about it being lame, so why did it ever gain traction for 5,000 lb conversions. Strange indeed.

One possible benefit is that the little passenger car brake might be better matched to the front/rear balancer, it might (by chance) perform well in a system where the proportioning valve has not been "adapted" too. I can't tell you anything about that part, probably nobody can (without a skid pad and a team of engineers).

(Pics of Phil's setup a few posts back http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8033773#8033773 )

Can you put your van on ramps and see if it holds? (Plz see different thread for PARKING BRAKE TEST ) Mine holds now (barely) but I had to lengthen the actuator arms to be almost as long as your OEM T4 arms. Not many folks are willing to do this test and post it, I think only the ones that hold will post, and so far that's me (with lengthened arms) and the OEM drum brake fellas are willing to test & post. It's a very easy test if you have ramps. Just neutral, on level ground, rear wheels partway on the slope. Also your wheel size AND the total outside tire diameter is interesting.

WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
I wanted to mention that when I was up in Lake Stevens junkyard scrounging ac parts I looked in an Aerostar and they have MUCH longer parking brake handles... Didn't measure, but interesting.

Handle length won't tell you much. One needs to know the mechanical advantage the handle has, i.e. the comparative lengths of the handle on each side of the pivot pin. A handle with 12 inches on one side and 1.2 inches on the other has a 10:1 advantage. So does a handle with 12 feet / 1.2 feet, which will only be able to exert the same force as the smaller one. The only difference between the two handles is how FAR the attached cables will move.

Larry H.
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Phil I agree, I don't understand why the T4 brake is not a contender here in the US. The Eurovan weighs 5200 lbs which compares well to a Syncro Westfalia (5000 lbs). Why in heck are so many kits from an Audi 100/5000 that weighs only 2400 lbs? It's pretty reasonable to assume that the brake from a 2400lb vehicle would offer only 1/2 the braking power of a unit from a 5,000 lb vehicle. And even the Audi folks complain about it being lame, so why did it ever gain traction for 5,000 lb conversions. Strange indeed.

One possible benefit is that the little passenger car brake might be better matched to the front/rear balancer, it might (by chance) perform well in a system where the proportioning valve has not been "adapted" too. I can't tell you anything about that part, probably nobody can (without a skid pad and a team of engineers).

(Pics of Phil's setup a few posts back http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8033773#8033773 )

Can you put your van on ramps and see if it holds? (Plz see different thread for PARKING BRAKE TEST ) Mine holds now (barely) but I had to lengthen the actuator arms to be almost as long as your OEM T4 arms. Not many folks are willing to do this test and post it, I think only the ones that hold will post, and so far that's me (with lengthened arms) and the OEM drum brake fellas are willing to test & post. It's a very easy test if you have ramps. Just neutral, on level ground, rear wheels partway on the slope. Also your wheel size AND the total outside tire diameter is interesting.

One difference I see between the Audi rear discs (from a V8 quattro, not 100/5000) is the vented rotor. I would give up the vented rotor in the rear for a reliable functioning e-brake, especially on a syncro where i will be stopping / starting on a hill when driving off-road. All we need is the bracket to mount the caliper. The eurovan parts are probably easier to find also.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
the handbrake does not hold at all. It's been like this since 2009

Luckyphil wrote:
I dont know why you guys persist with a mish mash

we are all waiting for you…. LOL!

Sodo wrote:
Can you put your van on ramps and see if it holds?

I hope you will post your own Video of T4 discs holding on a ramp Smile
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Dont know about video but will post pics of the van holding on ramps as per the "ramp test" mentioned above. I have not done anything with the proportioning valve nor has anyone else i know who have this kit as we have not needed to. I have had to hit the brakes in anger only once on a dry road to avoid a rear end collision as i was not concentrating and the van pulled up real nice no nose dive at all. The kit I have is not comercialy available anymore as the engineer who designed it 10 years ago is now deceased but I met a guy at The Australian VW nationals and noticed he had rear discs which didnt look like the Aus designed Sherman (poor ebrake) nor the small car kit. Convinced him to have some sets reproduced as he was restoring rear suspension of his van. The guy runs his own shop see here
http://exoticars.com.au/ his name is Mark and he ended up getting 15 sets of adapter plates made up of which 6 or 7 are now sold.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

fwiw I believe
http://burleysmotorsports.com
offers the Eurovan disk brake upgrade

contact him directly if interested. I am not affiliated.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
And if contamination is an issue and don't want to rebuild, I believe (but can't be 100% certain), that these are the calipers Smallcar used. None of the stamped numbers line up, but maybe those are just serials? Looks the same as far as I can tell with these limited photos:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/audi,1990,200,2...kit%2C1720

Importantly, it HAS to be the "200 Quattro Sedan". All of the other models have the e-brake longitudinal to the disc (like Alika's, mabye?), whereas the sedan alone has the ebrake connecting perpendicular to the brake. This part page shows that in the pictures:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2053504&cc=1007198&jsn=20&jsn=20

will need to go to the top link to buy both sides. Of course, they are the most expensive offering by far.

Also while I'm at it, here are the correct bleeder screws. My fronts were badly corroded.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=587011&cc=1007198&jsn=10404

Well it's many months later but last night I finally started installing my new calipers, and lo-and-behold I was wrong about them being from a 200 Sedan as I mentioned above. In another, more recent thread "Wesitarz" finally got it right, the calipers are from a 90-94 V8 Sedan. The difference between these two is so subtle that it is almost impossible to pick out looking at pictures on the internet. The difference is the part of the caliper that mounts to the hub has "wings" that are 1-2 cm longer, allowing for clearance of a slightly larger hub backside. They are otherwise identical in every other respect.

Good news for me is that I can simply reuse my old mounting part of the caliper and slap on the new kit. Bad news is I won't get my core deposit back due to swapping parts.
Here is the correct part:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2039762&cc=1009471&jsn=344
If you go cross-eyed comparing the bolt hole wings to this picture of the wrong part you may be able to see the slight difference.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2036520&cc=1007198&jsn=2
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Not only are the V8 rear rotors larger in diameter, they are 10mm thicker too. Since the brake pads are the same for both models, the caliper must be at least 10mm wider to accept the additional thickness of the rotor.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

Well crap on a stick. Butcher you are absolutely right about the width being slightly different too. I could run these for now because they fit but I could never get new pads on! At this point I'll have to return the Quattro Sedan brakes I have and order the V8 Quattro ones. Thanks for figuring that out Butcher, it's taken essentially forever to figure out what calipers SmallCar is using!

Also some updates: my actuator on my parking brake mechanism is definitely borked. One actuator rotated free (with the spring off) for almost 2/3 of it's range and then moved the piston just a little. The other side rotated free through it's entire range, with no effect on the piston. Clearly the little screw inside is all messed up. The new brakes move the piston A LOT more, even with the spring still installed.
Also the inner lining of my parking brake cable on one side is tearing off, which caused the line to more-or-less seize. I know I had it moving 6 months ago when I first worked on this (and posted the pics on the previous page), and I was able to get it moving again and lubed up. However clearly they will need to be replaced at some point, for if I get the parking brake working again and use it in the winter such a setup could easily freeze solid with ice.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

The Girling caliper stamped 4143 is correct for the 90-94 Audi quattro V-8. The rotor is from the 91 Audi 200 Quattro 20v. Smallcar recommends the Zimmerman rotor. I tried the Centric equivalent 269 x 20mm (Made in China) from Rockauto when I couldn't source the Zimmermans, but the carrier hits the rotor. I tried shims but the rotor cracked when I torqued the wheel on. (PING is what you hear) Tossed them in the recycle and found the Zimmermans (Made in Germany) at FCP Euro at a 50% clearance price and they ship to Canada (FedEx) I will put them on in the spring.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

My rotors are fine so I don't need to worry about this right now but still now I'm confused. Why would the rotor be from the 200 Quattro when the brakes are from the V8? Butcher just mentioned that the V8 calipers are 10mm wider than the 200 Sedan version I got and he's right about that. The Sedan version barely fit over the rotor on my van with worn pads. Is the Quattro 20v rotor different than the Quattro Sedan, and the v8?
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

I did not know that the SC setup was a mix and match. I asked SC what pads I could use,then assumed the rotors were from the same 90-94 Quattro V8.They are not,having a much taller hub and offset. You want 269mm x 20mm vented Zimmermans from the 91 Audi 200 quattro 20 v. Other than Zimmermans may have some irregularities that throw the fitment off. Probably just as easy and as cheap to get the old rotors turned once.
mozcar78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear disc upgrade = NO parking brake! Reply with quote

The clarification required here is to mention that the rotor height is what calls for the a 91 200 Quattro Rotor OEM #: 447 615 601A vs the 91 V8 AUdi rotor. The difference is between 46mm vs 59mm. There is also a 49mm rotor height to throw in the mix. You just have to check all the iterations of these models to find the right one.

Our setups typically call for a 46mm Rotor Height. Front and Back. I have a long write up on google drive with this info all sorted out. BTW, This is with a 4143 90's Audi caliper. There is also a 38 Audi Caliper and a 43 Audi Caliper from the 1999 Audi A8. Yes there are a ton of options!!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

masuda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Sodo wrote:

Get the slack out of the cable before you start messing with calipers. I can tell you 100% without even being there that the gap between the washer and the caliper in the first photo is an issue. Park brake cables are not designed to have that slack in them. Not drum brakes, not disc brakes, not bicycle cable brakes.

This is an old thread but i checked in to get ideas on why my 2012 rear Small Car E hand brake never held very well. This comment cured that problem. OMG Thanks So Much!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: