Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight issues
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Headlight issues Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have a 1987 Wolfsburg weekender Vanagon and have just discovered an issue with the headlights. They will turn on when the key is off or with auxiliary power, but once the van is started, they turn off. They will not stay on while running. Does anyone have any idea how I could get this fixed?

Thanks for your time and knowledge, I really appreciate they help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

Do you lose anything else when the headlights go off? (Fan, wipers, etc.)
This could point to bad ignition switch or the related "load reduction relay".

Check it & report back...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

Thank you! I will look at that later today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

I am sorry for getting back to you so late, I have been working and helping out around the house and this was the soonest I could get a look at it. I went through everything and all fans wipers and other lights work. The only thing that doesn't work is the driver's side blinker. It only turns on but it doesn't blink when on to signal a left turn.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

I've never had this problem but I've owned a LOT of VWs over the years.

When odd electrical behaviour like this happens, more often than not it is the result of bad grounds.

Your grounds are above the fuse panel. There are two round ground "trees".

The entire unit can corrode, individual wires can corrode, but more freqently heavy draw items such as lights heat up the terminals and over time they become loose.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
MURRAYMW1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

Replace the bulb.
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

djkeev and MURRAYMW1 thank you both for your replies. Speaking to the grounds point I just finished cleaning them all up. To clarify, The headlights are fully functional and on when the key is in auxiliary power, they all work great, but once your turn the van on and it's idling, they turn off.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

Vanagon does not have an auxillary key position.
Off
On
Start

If On powers the headlights and all works well before you turn to start.....
Then once you turn to Start and the return spring pushes you back to On it doesn't work.

And your grounds are known good......
I suspect the ignition switch contacts are burned.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I just ordered the part and it is on it's way.
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Off
On
Start

Then once you turn to Start and the return spring pushes you back to On it doesn't work.

Dave

It is on it's way. I just ordered it. Thank you very much for your reply and help I really appreciate it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

D78Q85V87 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Off
On
Start

Dave

It is on it's way. I just ordered it. Thank you very much for your reply and help I really appreciate it.

Please do keep in mind that I am 3,000 miles away (unless you're in DC) And guessing on needed repairs via keyboard.
The ignition switch is a known weak electrical link on older VW's.
No harm will come from replacing it and it may actually fix your ussue at hand.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
D78Q85V87 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Off
On
Start

Dave

Please do keep in mind that I am 3,000 miles away (unless you're in DC) And guessing on needed repairs via keyboard.
The ignition switch is a known weak electrical link on older VW's.
No harm will come from replacing it and it may actually fix your ussue at hand.

Dave

Its a less than $7 part so I figure why not it will probably need to be replaced eventually like you said and at the very least it will be something we can rule out as not the problem. When I get it and put it in if it don't work I will continue to look for help. Regardless, thank you for your assistance I really appreciate it.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

You can test your new switch before you pull the steering column apart to replace the old one. Pull the wiring plug off of the bottom of the old switch, plug it into the new switch while holding the switch in your hand, use a screwdriver to turn the new switch and see if that cures your problem. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

I just got the part today and I tried it without taking the whole steering wheel apart like on of you said (thank you for that by the way it saved a TON of time) After all of that that wasn't the issue.

So to reiterate my problem in case others are just coming in, the headlights will not stay turned on when the van is running. When the key is off the headlights are off, when the key is turned on the headlights are on, after the key has turned to start and the van has started, the headlights turn off. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thank you to all who have submitted comments and proposed solutions thus far I am very grateful to you for sharing your knowledge with me, and grateful for the assistance.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

check the relays for the lights & the grounds

$$ on ign. switch is not wasted as it will surely fail eventually - take it with you as a spare
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

You have an odd ptoblem that defies simple basic inexpensive repairs thus far.

Once started, if you turn the key off and very quickly back to on (not start) causing the engine to stumble but not stop running, do the lights work?

Honestly, although you've gone through your grounds, I still suspect ground issues.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I will have another look at the grounds and check relays. I was also thinking maybe wires go crossed because there is a new stereo in the van that is hooked through the ignition, could that be the problem?
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

Do you have the same behavior with high and low beams?
With the engine running, are you able to flash your headlights?
What about the parking lights? Working as expected?
Any recent work on the van? The new stereo - before or after the issue appeared?
Do you know when the issue appeared, or could it have been like that, unnoticed, for a long time?
Has your van been upgraded with headlight relays?
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps, or if I'm being too simple minded, or perhaps I'm not recalling this correctly, but: is that not the opposite of the normal behavior? iirc, my headlights won't go on when I've flipped the switch until I've started the engine.

To me that says it's a logic problem, like two leads are switched, or something like that.

Just sayin'.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight issues Reply with quote

yeh - who put that stereo in?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: