Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine nosie
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Engine nosie Reply with quote

Hi all I have some real bad nosie coming from either my gearbox or new 2l + engine. It's sounds like a grinding nosie/ something is loose and wobbling around. The nosie can be heard loudest in two places and that's in the bell housing and the crankshaft pulley but I have ever a funny feeling the nosie is in the bell housing and just traveling down the crankshaft. The engine shows no sign of loose of power, compression or oil pressure plus he of temp is spot on so I'm thinking it can't be the engine ?
The nosie is there when the engine is hot or cold and get slightly quite if I depress the clutch pedal but does not go completely gearbox was a little low on oil it took 600 ml to fill it back up so not total empty. There is no clutch pedal wobble and it goes in and out of all gears smoothly. Any ideas anyone?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine nosie Reply with quote

6 V gearbox?

Flywheel on tight?
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine nosie Reply with quote

12v gearbox with a 200m clutch and I did the flywheel up to 253 lb ft.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine nosie Reply with quote

Maybe the cam gear is loose.
I'm afraid there might be a rash of that soon. Cam companies put those lockwashers in there but....they probably should not be used except for on steel gears.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Engine nosie Reply with quote

Well I'm going to start pulling the engine out over the next few days and I will let you know what I find.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine nosie Reply with quote

Hi all just to let you know what I found. It was the flywheel that had come loose the gland nut was still torque uo tight but the problem I listen that the 8 dowel pins are to long and poked out though the flywheel and the the and gland nut torqued up against them so the flywheel was never fully home if that makes sense. I'm going to have to dremal of around 1mm of each dowel pin.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Engine nosie Reply with quote

It's worth getting an upgraded gland nut/larger washer kit if you are putting any power through it. And then you can take the torque up to 350 lbs/ft, and use loctite. Is it a a cast crank?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine nosie Reply with quote

ouch!!! might want to add a new flywheel with the new chromoly gland bolt& deburr the flats on the bolt good so they dont eat into the washer. and be sure the dowels are not too long(eazy to messure before assembling) I dont lock tight mine. just some moly lube on threads,washer,bolt under head. and over 400 feet pounds(my 210 pound dumb ass on a 30"or more bar.with the engine well supported)
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine nosie Reply with quote

I now have my new lighten forged flywheel and a larger 38mm gland nut and washer.
The crankshaft is a forged 4340 Chromoly counterweighted 82mm crankshaft. The depth of each peg hole on the flywheel is 7.45mm / .293" but the dowels are poking out the crankshaft are 8.1mm / .318" so I'm definitely going to have to shorten them. I've tried to remove them but I can't get them out Sad so going to have to grind them do in situ
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine nosie Reply with quote

Every time I have had problems with a re-build it's something that the Parts manufactures have done that didn't fit and I missed seeing it the first time it went together.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine nosie Reply with quote

I hope the loose flywheel has not ovalled out the holes for the pins in the crank and flywheel. If that has happened it is probably new crank and flywheel time as no matter how much torque you do up the nut with it will tend to work loose again if the dowel pins are wobbly. If not immediately it may start to move after a misfire or other shock..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine nosie Reply with quote

I've got lucky not even one dowel pin has been damaged can't say as much for the flywheel it's toast. All pins are still solid with no wear at all on them and they all mic up true Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: