Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bryhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

New to bugs and looking for some help on seat belt install.

I just purchased a 65 with all new interior and the previous owner chose to not install seat belts. I want to install 3 point retractable in the front and possibly lap belts in the back. I have researched and reviewed several threads and I am still confused about my options and the mounting points.

I am attaching a picture of the interior during the restoration. Can someone who knows try and explain:
1. Where the mounting points are?
2. What parts/options are available?
3. What special installation instructions are available?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Any help is much appreciated.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

John Henry has a great how to on his site.
Scroll down and click on page 10.
http://www.thebugshop.org/goresto.htm

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bryhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
John Henry has a great how to on his site.
Scroll down and click on page 10.
http://www.thebugshop.org/goresto.htm

Thanks. That is a great how to as far as welding in the mounting points. On my 65 I believe I can see the following mounting points in my picture:

Upper B-Pillar
Floor mounts in the pan for front
Tunnel mounts for front
Inside rear mounts

What I am less sure about is (can anyone tell me if they see these in the picture?):
Outside rear mounts
Lower B-Pillar mounts

*edit - I also am not sure if there any retractable options and if so, where they would mount and how they would attach and operate.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

Duplicate post

Last edited by Sharp64 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

Outside rear mounts utilize the seat mounting bolts for the seatback. I do not believe 65 had a lower B pillar mount. Fronts used the tunnel, outer pan and B pillar mounts. Thus the "3" in 3 point.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=654120

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

i installed 1974 Bug seat belts in my 1965 bug some time ago, direct bolt in. besure to get the buckle bracket that mounts on the tunnel, it is part of the system.

good luck, stay safe.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bryhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
i installed 1974 Bug seat belts in my 1965 bug some time ago, direct bolt in. besure to get the buckle bracket that mounts on the tunnel, it is part of the system.

good luck, stay safe.

Excellent. Where did you purchase? Did you only have to use the Upper B-Pillar, Floor pan, and tunnel mounts? Do you have any pictures of the final install?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

bryhart wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

good luck, stay safe.

Excellent. Where did you purchase? Did you only have to use the Upper B-Pillar, Floor pan, and tunnel mounts? Do you have any pictures of the final install?

it was nearly three decades ago, got the belts out of a parted out bug. sorry no photos right now. mounted same as stock late model bugs.

here is a link to the want ads, I did a seat belt search in the 68 and newer bug section.

LINK.... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...=seat+belt

the first ad appears to have the complete set up minus the mouning bolts, but the belt webbing appears to be torn in one of the photos, there are however plenty of more ads to search youll need to determine condition before purchase.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bryhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
it was nearly three decades ago, got the belts out of a parted out bug. sorry no photos right now. mounted same as stock late model bugs.

here is a link to the want ads, I did a seat belt search in the 68 and newer bug section.

LINK.... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...=seat+belt

the first ad appears to have the complete set up minus the mouning bolts, but the belt webbing appears to be torn in one of the photos, there are however plenty of more ads to search youll need to determine condition before purchase.

Thank you.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

For the rear, outer belt mounts, be safe and use the body-to-chassis mounts indicated by the picture below (green arrow, lowest to the left in the picture).

Using this location, you have a large chassis bolt that is threaded directly into part of the chassis and makes a very suitable anchor point.

Using the rear seat back mounting bolt isn't as secure. The bolt is threaded into unanchored sheet metal.

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
For the rear, outer belt mounts, be safe and use the body-to-chassis mounts indicated by the picture below (green arrow, lowest to the left in the picture).

Using this location, you have a large chassis bolt that is threaded directly into part of the chassis and makes a very suitable anchor point.

Using the rear seat back mounting bolt isn't as secure. The bolt is threaded into unanchored sheet metal.

I had to run out to my car, pull the back seat up and look around. You know, I saw those bolts and didn't even bat an eye as I truly assumed you were supposed to use the seat bracket bolt..... My question is going to be why didn't they treat that outer hole the same as the inner or the one behind the window with a larger hole and a plug?

Edit* I just went out and started to swap mine around to see how it worked there. Answered my question in regards to why it not like the other as its bolted into the chassis as mentioned. However, when using this bolt as the outer seat belt mount, how are you supposed to orient the metal part of the seat belt? I don't seen any way that makes sense. Since its lower than the inner, it puts it under the seat essentially. If you have it so the seat belt comes out the side between the seat belt and the door panel a large portion is going to sit under the seat. Also, the positioning makes this location awkward if you try to run the seat belt from this location in from the back as again, a large portion will be under the seat. Put tension on it and its going to pull the seat up.... Anyone got pics of seat belts actually attached here?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

ps if i were to convert to three point, id consider the want ads and search for a vw vendor that might sell repro seat belts just ask for one to fit the 68 up bug. you might need to source the tunnel bracket and such used.

the other option I had in an old 67 Bug was I had some generic seat belts in it, much nicer than the stock. these may have been from a 80s toyota or si ular compact car. good reel mechanism mounted on out side floor, loop type hoop that belt moves thru up top on piller, and the lap belt end mounted to stock tunnel belt mount holes, belt was maybe foot or so long from tunnel bolt to buckle.

so aftermarket can work too.

early stock belts I do not believe self retracked, you had to size them both lap and shoulder for each sized rider, very snug and secure, little ability to move as it is not on a retract. later ones had a retract mechanism. so be aware of that, and if you do want the retract mechanism tyty, co sider old used ones may not operate well, may need rebuild , lube, or just be worn out. a new non stock type if available may be most practical, new reel, new webbing, etc and it bolts in pretty easy. if you want period correct stock, consider the differances thru the model years in the three point mechanisms and styles, they were not all the same.

also you want clean pretty metal on that tunnel bracket it is pretty visable, make sure ylu dont end up with an ugly rusty one that was from a junk pile unless you want to sand and paint it. same goes for used old buckeles is the chrome shinny or pitted with rust? if the plastic fadded, cracked, gouged, if the release knob nice and bright colored, or fadded to pink, and turned gooeey, ks the webbing clean and soft, of stiff, dirty, sun damaged?

stay safe, three point belts are a great safety upgrade!

Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

BTW a good bang for your buck regarding 3 point belts is to purchase Humvee seatbelts on Ebay. i have purchased two sets for cars and they are very nice for the price.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
panicman wrote:

I had to run out to my car, pull the back seat up and look around. You know, I saw those bolts and didn't even bat an eye as I truly assumed you were supposed to use the seat bracket bolt..... My question is going to be why didn't they treat that outer hole the same as the inner or the one behind the window with a larger hole and a plug?

Edit* I just went out and started to swap mine around to see how it worked there. Answered my question in regards to why it not like the other as its bolted into the chassis as mentioned. However, when using this bolt as the outer seat belt mount, how are you supposed to orient the metal part of the seat belt? I don't seen any way that makes sense. Since its lower than the inner, it puts it under the seat essentially. If you have it so the seat belt comes out the side between the seat belt and the door panel a large portion is going to sit under the seat. Also, the positioning makes this location awkward if you try to run the seat belt from this location in from the back as again, a large portion will be under the seat. Put tension on it and its going to pull the seat up.... Anyone got pics of seat belts actually attached here?

I use stock-ish lap belt only, so my installation is a bit simpler than a 3 way retractable setup. If I had my kids in the car a lot, or if I used the car daily, I would likely install 3-way.

I believe I oriented the metal bracket up, so that the belt does not get caught under the seat. I will take a pic as soon as I can and post it.

As far as why the seatback mounting bolt area is not more heavily reinforced; I believe it is because of the construction and orientation of that piece of body metal. Even if you welded in a reinforcement plate, and threaded the bolt into that, you would (in the event of a collision of any significance) still have a person's center of gravity placing a sudden and considerable force on that unanchored sheet metal. I believe the result would be similar to yanking someone's earring through their earlobe. In an accident, I think a persons weight would just yank the sheet metal and any reinforcement material off of the body.

The other mounting points are achieved by placing oversized threaded plates directly behind the body metal. The forces are different in these locations, and the force needed to actually pull those oversized plates THROUGH the body metal would be much more extreme.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

Im using 3 point non-retractable. I did move the outer bottom back to the chassis bolt as I agree its probably more secure and oriented the metal part of the belt so it puts the belt out of the side of the seat in between the seat and door panel. While probably more secure, I wonder if something happened if it wouldn't just pull the seat belt and twist the metal attachment?
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

Scott65Beetle wrote:
BTW a good bang for your buck regarding 3 point belts is to purchase Humvee seatbelts on Ebay. i have purchased two sets for cars and they are very nice for the price.

Ditto! They come with tons of hardware too. You'll just need to buy the 90 degree brackets.

Check out this thread in the late beetle section. Installation is the same.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526370&highlight=humvee

And I got mine from this seller. You can maybe find them cheaper, but he is a good seller and ships fast.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/hdps_corp/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: I need to install 3 point retractable seat belts in my 1965 Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Im using 3 point non-retractable. I did move the outer bottom back to the chassis bolt as I agree its probably more secure and oriented the metal part of the belt so it puts the belt out of the side of the seat in between the seat and door panel. While probably more secure, I wonder if something happened if it wouldn't just pull the seat belt and twist the metal attachment?

I didn't angle it sideways, but just off center from oriented straight up. First pic shows the bracket, and I am holding the belt up for visibility.

Second picture shows how the belt lays across the seat. Third picture is an awkward angle looking straight down on where the bracket mounts with the seat bottom in place.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: