Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trailer or Dolly?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Trailer or Dolly? Reply with quote

I just purchased a 65 bug that has just had a complete restoration. Brand new rebuilt motor and brand new Rancho Freeway Flyer. There are less than 50 miles on it since the restoration was complete. The car is approximately 600 miles away from my house and I don't want to work out any kinks on the trip back. I have decided to tow it back rather than drive it.

Question: Should I put it on a car dolly and roll it home or should I put it on a much heavier car trailer?

The heavier trailer and car will put the tow vehicle at its limit but it is doable. The car dolly is more manageable but I don't want to "stress" the new trans by rolling it in neutral for 600 miles. Is the concern about the dolly valid?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer or Dolly? Reply with quote

You will not harm the transmission in any way by towing it in neutral. Really bad things happen if you forget and leave it in gear.

Uhaul car trailers come equipped with a built in brake assist so all that extra weight with a car trailer should not be an overwhelming issue. Without the brake assist stopping distances can be surprisingly long.

It does not really matter either way
bryhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer or Dolly? Reply with quote

Thanks. That is what I was thinking but being new to bugs I wanted to make sure. I'll probably put it on the trailer anyway. It is almost all interstate driving so the weight should be a major issue. The bug has been lowered a bit and I don't want to risk getting down there and having it drag something because of the dolly.

(I can't wait to get it...my first bug!)
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer or Dolly? Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba
This subject comes up often ;
You could help others if you took photos of the trailer and tire straps safety chains and clearances getting it on the trailer with a couple of "On my way " photos and posted current rental prices .
Have fun with your new toy Smile

Note ; Anyone using a tow dolly make shure you take the hubcaps off the car and check tightness of the lug nuts .... Embarassed Don"t ask Embarassed

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer or Dolly? Reply with quote

A fresh complete restoration means you care about it. It also means if you pull into a gas station and the dolly places too-low a departure angle on your car, you could easily tear shit up (exhaust or worse). There is no way I'd dolly it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bryhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer or Dolly? Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Welcome to the Samba
You could help others if you took photos of the trailer and tire straps safety chains and clearances getting it on the trailer with a couple of "On my way " photos and posted current rental prices .

Note ; Anyone using a tow dolly make shure you take the hubcaps off the car and check tightness of the lug nuts .... Embarassed Don"t ask Embarassed

Will do.

hitest wrote:
A fresh complete restoration means you care about it. It also means if you pull into a gas station and the dolly places too-low a departure angle on your car, you could easily tear shit up (exhaust or worse). There is no way I'd dolly it.

Thanks. We decided to trailer it.
bryhart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer or Dolly? Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Welcome to the Samba

Raised the trailer tongue as high as it would go and drove up on the trailer with no issues. strapped the front tires in with the attached safety straps, hooked the safety chain around the front beam, and took off. Stopped after about 5 miles and 30 miles to retighten straps. Jeep struggled a bit up the Northern California/Southern Oregon slopes but not too bad. Prices were about $60 a day for the trailer. Hope these help:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer or Dolly? Reply with quote

I towed mine on a dolly but trailering it sure looks like the way to go. Thanks for the pix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer or Dolly? Reply with quote

Thankyou Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: