Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

One thread lists green stripe rear coils as carat:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338546&highlight=green+paint+springs
Quote:
"According to the Brick Yard, the springs are as follows:

Front Springs:

Blue=Normal
Brown= Carat, Camper, Ambulance
Green=Increased payload
Yellow=30mm lower than normal
Violet=Syncro

The rear spring colors are as follows.

Yellow=Yellow - Normal and for increased payload or heavy duty shocks
Brown=Ambulance (UK)
Blue=Passenger vans
Green=30mm lower
2X green=Syncro

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?option=com_v...p;Itemid=6
"

Another thread lists them as camper coils:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124607&highlight=green+paint+springs

Quote: "I do not know what the difference is between Syncro, Westfalia, and Vanagon springs other than paint marks and part numbers. Here are the part numbers and paint marks for rear springs:

251 511 105 yellow paint mark
fits all Vanagons from 5/79 to 7/92
and campers from 5/79 to 6/83

255 511 105 C blue paint mark
fits campers from 7/83 to 7/85 and from 8/87 to 7/92
[not sure what happened to 8/85 to 7/87......]

251 511 105 E green paint mark
fits all Syncro from 2/85 to 7/92

And another quote: "251 511 105 yellow paint mark
fits all Vanagons from 5/79 to 7/92
and campers from 5/79 to 6/83

255 511 105 C blue paint mark
fits campers from 7/83 to 7/85 and from 8/87 to 7/92
[not sure what happened to 8/85 to 7/87......]

Found out what happened...... the 255 C does fit campers
from 7/82 TO 7/92."

-----------------------------

I have seen a few quotes on length but I can not find anything about the spring Rates.

Does anyone know the spring rates by color code? I am interested in both front and rear.

Thanks.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

I've been looking for something like this.
I've been thinking about using Westy springs on my tintop, my thoughts are it will give me a mild lift and slightly stiffer springs for a more stable ride.
Amazingly I haven't been able to find any information about doing this.

https://www.instagram.com/bjornthebus/

Parts wanted/needed - A high top. CLK wheels. A weekender rear cabinet and head banger.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

I searched on info on this as well and was able to draw the conclusion that 87 and later vanagons are lower, Carats are lower, and the 85 is touted as having the highest profile. I own a 91 tintop with a 1.8t conversion and heavy tubular bumpers. My ride height was 15 3/4". I acquired a set of 85 rear camper springs ( thanks Aaron ) the 85 rear springs were marked with blue stripes, had a wire diameter of 0.66", and were 10 15/16" long. My 91 tintop springs were marked with two green stripes, had a wire diameter of 0.72", and were 1" shorter at 9 15/16" long. Installing the 85 camper springs raised my ride height to 17".
This thread covers a lot of the information.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321336&start=160
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

I've been frying my brain trying to get definite answers on springs and shocks for the van and from what I can see;
1. no one appears to have any idea what the spring rates are. A few lengths are listed, no rates.
2. Many people have no idea that springs should match the shocks.i would argue they should match the weight as well.
3. Some people believe progressive shocks exist. They do not. Therefore progressive springs socks and springs will constantly be mismatched to some degree.

Here is an interesting article: http://automotivethinker.com/suspension/linear-vs-progressive-rate-springs/
"the downside to progressive springs.

There is a big downside with progressive springs – and that is that they are hard to damper effectively. A linear spring will always have a consistent rate which is easy to match to a damper, but a progressive or dual-rate spring will most likely go out of the effective damping range as it crosses into higher or lower rates. Trying to damper variable rates is actually a problem on all cars because anti-sway bars act as variable rate springs. The problem with sway bars is that their rates are added to the coil springs only when the car is cornering. This is compounded further when variable rate springs are introduced.

Even though this down side exists, don’t be to too afraid of getting a progressive spring systems if your car is street bound. Just be sure to do the proper research on a spring kit to know what to expect after it is installed. Personally, since I have a dedicated fun car, I have installed linear springs because my car is not driven for any purpose other than going fast, and I make do with a harsh ride on the street.

What you should know:

What you should know is that linear springs are going to provide the maximum level of performance for a car on pavement at the cost of a harsh ride. Progressive springs are an attempt to have a smooth ride and good handling at the same time but are not optimal at both. It’s up to you to decide which is going to be best for your application."
------------------
4. Many people are happy with their rear suspension using various springs, blocks, shocks,Air shocks, coilover shocks, air bags, air bag inserts, straps, etc. etc.
5. Many people seem to think adding lifting spacers does not have any effect on the springs.

6. My van has a mid engine so it's geometry is changed. How much does this effect handling, and how useful is information for stock vans for me?

7. Sway bars are in effect an additional spring applying force, now that I have a bigger one up front that changes the spring rate constantly . I'd like one in the rear which will also change spring rate constantly. will shocks need to be selected to account for that?

What does this all mean? Does any of this matter!?!!?

I have no idea but I am interested to learn more.

Well, in my case I am noticing something going on, I suspect it is too much rebound from worn out shocks.

I thought I'd fit the softest springs available to me then some adjustable shocks or bilsteins and see how that works.

Unfortunately, figuring out which are the softest springs is not proving easy to do.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:

What you should know is that linear springs are going to provide the maximum level of performance for a car on pavement at the cost of a harsh ride. Progressive springs are an attempt to have a smooth ride and good handling at the same time but are not optimal at both.
------------------
4. Many people are happy with their rear suspension using various springs, blocks, shocks,Air shocks, coilover shocks, air bags, air bag inserts, straps, etc. etc.
5. Many people seem to think adding lifting spacers does not have any effect on the springs.

Neil2

Progressive springs purpose I thought were to provide a comfortable ride (stock like ) while providing for increased load capacity when compressed ( under load) Will handling change when loaded? Sure but it would with linear springs as well, just they might be bottomed out at that point. Spacers should not have an effect on spring rate, they may alter handling somewhat as you are altering the center of gravity by raising the vehicle height. I would think it would be insignificant at the amount we are discussing here as the greatest spacer I can see anyone adding to the rear is 1" without putting the spring perch/upper mount into jeopardy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Reply with quote

I agree that the Many factors all allow for a certain amount "Tolerance".

While adding shims does not change the springs, I am relatively sure it adds to the load on the spring.

I disagree that one inch is the max shim amount because I personally have been running 1.5 inches on one side and 2.25 inches on the other for 5+ years.

No damage, that includes having svx engine and fully loaded pulling vw kit car cross country, off-roading in baja, etc, etc.

Unfortunately most of these discussions get bogged down into wheel well measurements.

I did notice that thread link you posted included a few spring wire diameters, that's good to know, but with one spring longer, and the other thicker, it is hard to guess at "Rate" differences.

Neil2
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

I think Christopher (T3) had calculated some spring rates and had posted some info on the stock springs. I guess you could calculate by loading weight until you get an inch of deflection. I can tell you that the 85 springs I put on deflected 1/2" with my 180 lbs son standing on the corner of the bumper. When I get a chance on my next salt run to Lowes for the softener I will calculate a 1" deflection weight.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

I just went out and tried 300lbs, it is the most I have handy at this time, I measured 5/8" of deflection Neil. Looks like the 85 rear springs are going to be in the mid 400lbs range. (430-470)
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

Thanks for testing the springs. Unfortunately I have no idea what exactly I have learned from that!

What I did do is go out to check my shock travel and lo and behold I has mere 1cm of travel before the shocks are at full extension! How I have been driving line this for 5 years is beyond comprehension!

It never occurred to me to check after lifting the rear with blocks.

I ordered procomp adjustable shocks and will fit limiting straps at some point.

I have 930 axles so overextension is not a factor there.

Still curious about spring rates.

Neil2
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:

While adding shims does not change the springs, I am relatively sure it adds to the load on the spring.

imho shims raise the body, and alter the angle of the trailing arm, which reduces the remaining extension travel, and increases compression travel. I do not think a shim compresses the spring.

I propose an alternate source of spring compression, the weight of the SVX and tongue weight of the trailer

when I had a 600 pound motor installed, I had to add 3" of shims to level the van, on GW +2 Syncro Progressives. In that configuration, the fender to wheel center showed 1" of droop, and 2" of compression at the rear wheel center to fender dimension. That was with a 16" replica trailing arm (which reduces effective travel due to the longer moment arm)

furrylittleotter wrote:
check my shock travel and lo and behold I has mere 1cm of travel before the shocks are at full extension! How I have been driving line this for 5 years is beyond comprehension!

It never occurred to me to check after lifting the rear with blocks.

I ordered procomp adjustable shocks and will fit limiting straps at some point.

I have no spring rate info to offer. But suggest you choose springs based on your desired ride height. Congrats on the adjustable shocks. Be sure to protect them from overextension, with a limiting strap.

I had GW adjustables and learned a lot from testing different settings. I learned that the shock damping could be reduced when I used stock door placard air pressure in the tires, and I had to dial the shock damping UP when I used more air in the tires than stock. Overinflation will also make shock damping insufficient, on non adjustables.

Since the tires are part of the suspension chain, along with shock and spring, it is important not to over inflate. Getting the tire pressure right can make the ride quality MUCH better, and allow the shocks to work at a more comfortable setting.

Tire pressure difference front to rear can also alter the amount of understeer.

My Syncro had a 45% front, 55% rear weight distribution. It worked best with 8psi more in the rear, for my liking. I do not like oversteer, which is what I got with equal pressures.

The contact patch can be measured and I found that having 3/4" longer contact patch in front provided safe handling for my taste (factory understeer)

So I suggest you get some data:

1. Weigh your Van at a truck stop, you want individual axle weights, so you know your weight distribution. Inflate your tires to the same weight distribution percentage.

2. Measure your contact patches, so you know the effect of inflation front and rear. You want the front contact patch to be larger than rear, to prevent oversteer.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

I believe the standard 14" rear spring rate is around 460 in/lbs. I think IG-16 had them listed when I checked last. You probably don't want to go much lighter than that though. Maybe last year sometime you asked about springs and I gave you all the links I used to calculate my suspension. Hint: The factory did a pretty good job of sorting the springs, it's the shocks that can be fine tuned for your driving style.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm sure vw did their best in the engineering of the van suspension but I have made significant alterations and am interested to learn more, see what can be done.
I'd love to see the specs on which factory springs have which load rates.

If you hadn't heard Seattle roads are notoriously jagged and rough, not fun.

Even neighborhood driving is quite jarring with current setup.

Ordered new hd bilsteins and shock bushings for front and pro comp adjustable For rear.

Also ordered rubber industrial belting to make spring pads to isolate springs with.
Will install and test.
Neil2
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

You'll want to start with finding out your corner weights. Can't do anything correctly without that info
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
You'll want to start with finding out your corner weights. Can't do anything correctly without that info

That's correct, to make interesting choices I need to know my van weight.

I weighed the van it's about 4000 total, 2160 front, 1840 rear.

I figure an extra 200 lbs each end about now with added stuff.

Neil2
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

After trying new shocks, carat springs, and new poly rear arm bushings I was still extremely dissatisfied with my rear suspension setup.

It simply wasn't moving.

I wanted to be able to custom select my springs based on rate so I decided to fit 2.5" coilover springs and see what happened.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a photo in place but before paint and without rubber isolators.

No unusual angles. Slight rub on rubber sleeve at stop on top. Seems acceptable.

First I fitted 450lb 10" 2.5" Eibachs.

Still could barely move the van up and down jumping up and down on bumper.

Then I fitted 400# springs and it finally moved.

So far so good more testing to do.

I made the mounts from 1/4" steel plate and steel pipe coupling (conduit) cut in half, welded in.

The extra rubber is 1/2" reinforced belting I custom ordered to help isolate.

I cut it to fit.

The lower mount is angled.

The factory bump stop is covered with a thick rubber sleeve ( 1/4"?)

Fun little project.

Neil2
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
...1840 rear.

I figure an extra 200 lbs each end about now

about 1020 pounds on each rear wheel

furrylittleotter wrote:
After trying new shocks, carat springs, and new poly rear arm bushings
First I fitted 450lb 10" 2.5" Eibachs.

Still could barely move the van up and down jumping up and down on bumper.

Then I fitted 400# springs and it finally moved.

outstanding research and development, including great photos. Movement at about 39% of actual weight, for spring rate.

Curious if you know the spring rate for the Carat springs you tried?

Also curious if your choice of shocks have anything to do with the resistance to compression. What shocks are you using?

On my vehicles, the shock rates have a definite effect on compression resistance.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

I have no idea Jon! I couldn't verify any oem rates so I ventured out on my own.

Did you calculate 39% based in my number?

They don't take into account geometry, so not sure how accurate they are.

I am running mx6 pro comps.

I have it stuck in the back of my head somewhere u can get a nice ride with soft springs and firm shocks.

Wher that info came from is beyond me but it does seem much nicer.

Everyone else seems to want firmer. I don't get it.

It figures I would want the opposite.😊

Neil2
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
Did you calculate 39% based in my number?
I am running mx6 pro comps.

I have it stuck in the back of my head somewhere u can get a nice ride with soft springs and firm shocks.

yes, 400/1020 =39%
good point that geometry is probably the reason why spring rate does not match actual weight on a 1 to 1 ratio.

I completely agree that springs should be softer than shocks.
I also think tires should be inflated to yield slightly before shocks.

I have not tried your shocks, but google says they are adjustable, which is excellent!

When you did the bounce test were your shocks at the lowest setting?

I ask because my experience with GW Adjustable Fox Shocks showed very different bounce response at minimum than at maximum damping. I also found that lower damping settings worked better with slightly lower tire pressure, and the higher I set the shock damping, the higher I had to set the tire pressure, to reduce body roll in a turn.

My GW shocks had 8 settings, the rear of the van weighed 2700 pounds. After extensive road testing, both on pavement and offroad, I ended up keeping them at setting 4, and only changed inflation, not damping, when offroading.

If I used the lowest damping, even offroad, the van would bounce up and down excessively (more than one rebound cycle). My springs were GW +2 progressives. I would not have wanted them any stiffer, and I also do not know their rate.

I could set my shocks really stiff, setting 8, and the ride was quite harsh even on pavement, I never felt it was a useful setting, in any condition. I like comfort, I do not like banging over road seams. I did not feel that the stiffest damping made the van handle curves or body roll significantly better. For my needs, proper tire pressure became more effective at controlling body roll, than stiffening the shock damping.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

Yes I am trying to get rid of the extreme harshness in the van.

The road crack roughness you described is unbelievable in the Seattle and surrounding area.
Much worse than CA.

The shocks are adjustable but since the springs weren't moving that didn't help anything.
I'm not sure what the shocks were set at when bouncing.

I have yet to try adjustments on shocks with new springs.i will.

Apparently some shocks have compression adjustment, some have rebound, and a few have both.

Tyre pressure is critical and I will be running as little as practical.

I'm hoping I now have a baseline setup and can begin to tune shock adjustment and tyre pressure

Neil2
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicting specs on rear springs. Clarify? Reply with quote

I found road seam harshness to be directly related to tire pressure.

fwiw, Ive compared contact patch length on both my rear engine van and my front engine Subaru Outback. In both cases, front contact patch was 1/2 to 1" longer.

Even though the Subaru uses more pressure in front than in back, and the Van is the other way around.

In your case your front is heavier, as with my Outback. My vans have all had higher rear weight than front.

so my suggestion is to start taking contact patch measurements for reference, and try to have more in front, for some understeer. Im not a fan of oversteer, which is what I got when using equal pressure on my Van.

my process in determining my ideal pressures are
1. start with factory specs, at first (they are not the same for front and rear). I do not go lower, but will go up as much as 5 psi over.
2. measure contact patch front and rear (I use pieces of printer paper pushed under the front and back of a tire, and measure the distance between them)
3. If I feel the tires are too soft (excess body roll in turns), I will go higher, but not lower than spec. While still maintaining a slightly larger patch in front, for steering safety.
4. When I reach a point in higher tire pressure that makes road seams uncomfortable for me, I back down a bit to make crossing road seams, and road buttons used as lane dividers, smooth and comfortable without banging.

with your weight distribution I suspect you will want more pressure in front than rear, while still maintaining a slightly longer contact patch in front.

I found that "cold" tire pressure goes up after driving in hot dry climate, but cold pressure stays the same after driving in rain. For these reasons, I sometimes adjust tire pressure downward when driving in hot and dry conditions, to keep a certain degree of comfort.

I find, tire Operating pressure can vary by +5psi over "cold" early morning pressure, after the van sits overnight. Cold here is about 45F. Ambient here can go up to about 80F during the day. After driving on the freeway at 80F ambient, tire pressure can be quite significantly higher than "cold".

the good thing about rain, is it does not raise the cold pressure, so the larger contact patch of cold pressure is preserved. I dont mind higher operating pressure for spirited driving, but I mostly drive conservatively, and tend to use cruise control a lot.

I find I can usually cruise control through turns as much as 10mph over the recommeded (yellow sign), speed. So on a roadway that is marked 55mph, with a curve marked at 45mph, I leave cruise on at 55mph.

Im usually not the type to drive 10mph over the speed limit, my cruise is usually no more than 5mph over the limit.

its all fun to explore. One tool I have not added to my arsenal, is a digital temperature gauge, which could help confirm when the middle of tire is running hotter than the edges. (overinflated). However, I do find I can "feel" with the palm of my hand, when the edges are hotter than the middle (underinflated).

Thanks for sharing your creative efforts, especially including photos.

Happy driving!

ps, some pics of using credit cards to measure contact patch on my Subaru. Counting tread blocks touching also gives relative contact patch size, without needing to measure.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pZyhmYmozfvOuzXv...58-h869-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/chEnw2bwZRa4tcne...14-h910-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sh-KDYXIM4qD7_il...14-h910-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4SQT4EQcp8N8NPV5...14-h910-no

(sorry I cant yet figure out how to post pics from the new google photos system)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: