Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best way to install a kill switch
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikedubayoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

What's up peeps. I just wanted to ask if anyone has installed a kill switch somewhere in the interior of they're vw.
I have a 64 vert and I am always worried someone is gonna steal it. It's an appealing ride. I was thinking of putting something under the seat. Maybe something that can switch off and be removed. Like a key. Any ideas?

Thanks
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

Put a fuse inline on the coil wire. Remove the fuse when you park. Car no start.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

flyboy161 wrote:
Put a fuse inline on the coil wire. Remove the fuse when you park. Car no start.

And even with the fuse removed and in your pocket, I could still have your car started in less than two minutes.

A more effective method would be to install a keyed battery cutoff switch, preferably in addition to a rather tamper-resistant battery box. Other ideas would be a good steering lock, gear shift lock, or keep a large dog in the back seat.

In the long run, if somebody really wants to steal your car, there's really not much of anything short of denying them access to the vehicle that will prevent them from taking it.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

Any switch or simple by-pass for fuel or electric can be quickly circumvented by a talented and knowledgable thief.

It seems like keeping the vehicle secured in a structure is the surest bet. Second to that are the mechanical, more obvious means of locking the steering wheel, gear shift, wheels, or pedals.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

If I'm parked somewhere I'm worried about thieves (almost everywhere, actually) I just discreetly pop off the distributor cap and take the rotor out and put it in my pocket. It would be pretty hard to steal the car then unless the thief is very very smart and has a well stocked auto parts store nearby. (Or a VW tow bar, which would actually work for him very well! Twisted Evil ) But then I imagine he would steal my snowflake tail lights and smash my windows in revenge or something...

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

I've always though one of the best methods was a fuel shut off somewhere in the passenger compartment. The thief can steal the car but only drive so far before it runs out of gas. The idea is that no thief will now have the nerve to start working on the car in plain view.
The problem as I see it, cutting into the tunnel and hiding the switch would be no easy task. ( electric pump with a hidden kill switch would accomplish the same thing )

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

Take the rotor.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

If a thief wants your car... its as good as gone.. rollback or a chain and another car and done..
Theft deterrent is the first option.. simply make them move on..
Blinking security light, shift lock, steering lock, deck lock, etc..

Pulling the rotor is cheap.. and works fine.

Below is a link to some some good battery disconnect options.
Even a few that are remote and electronic. Some even have a remote to control it.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/products.asp?dept=301

If we start to get into how we disable our cars.. the thieves trolling these forums will gain additional valuable information..

"Nawmsayin".. .. Wink

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

Professional thief will get your car .
My method stops the amateur BEFORE he breaks your vent window or cuts your convertible top .
BIG ORANGE CHAIN .....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

Doesn't that scratch up the steering wheel?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

In all my air-cooled VWs, I use the following three things:

1) Hella battery shut-off switch installed on battery/starter loop, using removable red key, usually somewhere hidden behind the rear seat on driver's side.

2) Coil shut-off toggle switch, located within driver's reach.

3) Small, keyed Master lock installed on E-brake ratchet mechanism. Pull E-handle up and you'll see an arc-shaped slot beneath it that will accept the lock. With properly adjusted brakes, should be able to barely get lock into slot beneath handle. Make sure you use two nuts on the ends of the E-brake cables as lock nuts. If you're not particular about the E-brake boot, you'll be OK with this one.

Remember, you're using the "lazy factor" of most thieves (they're too lazy to earn their keep) to drive them away or slow them down from stealing your car, but a determined thief can literally steal anything...

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

A determined thief with the right resources can steal any car. But most thieves are stupid and lazy and will give up if jamming a screwdriver into the ignition lock doesn't get them what they want.

"The Club" is not very good deterrent on a modern car with a steering wheel made out of stale cheese that can be sawed through in about 3 seconds, but it's a little better on an old car with hard, solid steering wheel (although I doubt a thief would realize this before trying to cut it, because lack of functioning brain matter).

Taking the rotor would frustrate and stop most thieves. An ignition kill switch might deter the laziest and most clueless thief, but anyone with knowledge of how cars work would probably bypass it, assuming they brought along some wire of their own. An electric fuel pump with its own switch would be a little more confusing still, particularly if the thief makes it a block or two before running out of gas. They'd have to have a lot of nerve to keep tinkering then.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
An electric fuel pump with its own switch would be a little more confusing still, particularly if the thief makes it a block or two before running out of gas. They'd have to have a lot of nerve to keep tinkering then.

For this reason I have advocated an electric solenoid hidden in the fuel line under the car, and a hidden switch. The car will run, but only until the carb bowl (and post-solenoid fuel line) drain, then it will sputter to a stop.

Most thieves want to hightail it as soon as they get it started, so the point they run out of gas is likely to be out in the open on a main road or at least where there are others present. Now they are exposed to a passing good Samaritan or even a cop. They do not want this attention! They will likely dump the car and run. Now you just have to check a 1-2 mile circle from where you left your car, but you will find it.

Of course, a flatbed defeats any of these tricks, so it's not perfect. If you are that worried, a cell-phone linked alert device will tell you when it's moving and you are not nearby, and track it as it's driven.

Even this can be defeated by a car carrier with metal walls, but this kind of resource is not commonly used for our cars!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Doesn't that scratch up the steering wheel?

NO . The orange is a plastic coating . This chain is available at HD .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

How about just installing a bad battery?? Recently watched a Jay Leno's Garage episode where he and a 'not familiar to me and IMO not-very-funny' comedian took the comedian's restored 21-window bus for a test drive through what might be termed a 'sketchy' neighborhood (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEC7jTF47EM). They stopped for some fast-food with never a mention of the likelihood that the bus might not be in the parking lot when they got back. It appears that the only active 'security' system he had was a battery that kept going dead. On another issue, the fellow spent a LOT of time complaining about how completely unreliable the VW was. Someone should clue him in: reliability is measured in direct proportion to the amount the care / attention / maintenance done.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

The last thing I want when stopped in a bad neighborhood is a car that won't start! My life is worth more to me than my car.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

Install a locking decklid latch. Unplug the coil wire and lock the decklid. Pretty simple.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
Install a locking decklid latch. Unplug the coil wire and lock the decklid. Pretty simple.

This with a locking hood pull make it hard to get at any of the important wiring.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

I have this under the rear seat. Total low current power disconnect. Just twist the red key and take it with you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install a kill switch Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
"The Club" is not very good deterrent on a modern car with a steering wheel made out of stale cheese that can be sawed through in about 3 seconds, but it's a little better on an old car with hard, solid steering wheel (although I doubt a thief would realize this before trying to cut it, because lack of functioning brain matter).

I have The Club for all my vehicles. Cops say it's decent, and provides a visual deterrent so a potential thief likely will simply move on to an easier vehicle, won't even bother breaking your window or jammin' your door to break in.

That said: I've also done the "remove rotor" thing on my VW when it will be parked for a while, and put the rotor in my pocket. My engine lid also has a lock.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: