Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advance runs on
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Advance runs on Reply with quote

I'M HAVING A CELEBRATORY BEER!
Ground the rotor down about 3.5mm so it would sit properly on the shaft.
Same issue, advance hanging up. (Damn it, Janet!).
Got it idling at 850 RPM, timing set; revved it up with no vacuum lines attached and the damn thing hung up again.
I do believe we have hanging advance weights on the centrifugal advance system.
To prove out the theory I got my old 009 from out of the parts bin, set it at 48 degrees dwell and 32 degrees full advance and.....damn she ran great! I could even properly tune the carb. I just got from Tim. Timing advances but returns nicely.
John Muir is smiling somewhere... Cool
Future thoughts; rebuild another 205Q I've got or splurge and shop for a new SVDA distributor, refraining from Chinese junk, of course.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Advance runs on Reply with quote

Damn, well at least you've isolated the issue, here's professional help if you decide to go that route http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3066 , I'd avoid the new Chinese version myself, nothing works as well as the correct distributor paired with the correct carb, those "one size fits all" units are never "just right".

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Advance runs on Reply with quote

glad you got down to the bottom of your issue.
i would highly recommend a rebuilt o19 distributor.
2nd choice would be an o34.
the 205Q is a good unit as well.

i :heart: points Laughing
John S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Advance runs on Reply with quote

I am going to sleep well tonight, yes.
I do have a 205Q that came with the bus, originally.
It has to be taken down to nothing and gone through.
I can do that but in the meantime I'm running the old junker 009.

I have a couple double vacuum cans (one NOS) that work well if I can get
the 205Q DVDA to be smooth on the weights.

I still remember running a 009 in my '71 Beetle as a daily driver (100 miles a day) with no issues for nine years, however. I know many astute thesamba members bash 009s but they are simplistic and seem to work.

I do enjoy getting something from 46 years ago to run well.
I'll dig into the 205Q in the next day or two.
I'm just so happy I have (with everyone's help, here and prayer) gotten this problem identified so now I can rectify this issue and continue on the rolling restoration.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Advance runs on Reply with quote

I've gotten 009's to work well on a bus, but it sounds like you drive your bus every day even further than I do so you'll really notice the difference in midrange torque with the 205Q (unless you never climb any hills, my "ass dyno" noticed the difference immediately), exhaust systems also play a part in this so if you have something other than stock all bets are off.

You can make the aftermarket stuff work pretty good and with the right combinations it may even suit you particular driving style the way you like it, but for silky smooth performance in any situation the OG stuff really does make a difference, those Germans put alot of time and effort into making it work well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: