Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

TO NEW READERS OF THIS THREAD - A BUNCH OF US SAMBANISTAS ARE SOLVING THIS RARE ISSUE WRT RAGTOPS

Well, I'm getting ready to have my headliner installed in my 1959 ragtop bug. I have not had one since I bought it in ~1979 or so, so I'm "discovering" missing parts...

My headliner guy said that I need the metal piece that goes up beneath the rear border of the ragtop opening, which essentially connects the rear end of the ragtop headliner piece to the front end of the headliner behind the ragtop opening (not the large metal bow that secures the rear end of the ragtop itself to the top surface of the roof).

The following photo shows what I'm talking about, with the rear of the car toward the top of the photo. The slots are to secure the rear end of the ragtop itself to the roof, whereas the round holes are to the piece that I'm asking about.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since I've not been able to find one anywhere, I need to make one.

What are the exact dimensions that I need?

What is the actual name and part number for this item?

Best,

Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).

Last edited by catahoula lou on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

I've added a photo of what I suspect that I'm looking for. I believe it's the dark metal piece to the right of Laughter's (from his Dec 2015 post) right foot.

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

I just replaced the cover on my '62 and I do not recall seeing that second strip shown in the photo.
My best guess for that piece is that it will hold the headliner tight at the forward rollers on the rear bow assembly . . . look at the piece where those rollers are, and you will see where a (one on each side) chrome, sheet-metal screw goes.
That would make it the center headliner bow for the sunroof portion of the headliner.

The section of headliner under the sunroof is pulled back and glued over the "round holes".
The rear portion of the headliner has a strip of cardstock sewn in along the front edge.
Door panel clips are in that strip of cardstock and snap into the "round holes" and trap the sunroof section of headliner.
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

57Blitz:

The piece I'm talking about goes along, and supports, the strip of cardstock that you mentioned. My headliner guy used to do concours-level interiors and says that you can install without one, but will be better over the long haul...

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:

The piece I'm talking about goes along, and supports, the strip of cardstock that you mentioned. My headliner guy used to do concours-level interiors and says that you can install without one, but will be better over the long haul...

I do not have that strip . . . that cardstock is wimpy and does not hold the headliner up tight . . . that explains it!

I did fabricate replacement straps for mine . . . could not find any for sale . . . they certainly make the rag close nice and easy!
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

If I'm lucky enough to buy one, I'll be sure to take exact measurements (in millimeters and including gauge of metal), along with photos, and post in this particular thread for the next sap that runs across this problem...

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

My ragtop mechanism is off of my car right now. I checked to see if I have that piece, but I couldn't find it with the rest of my mechanism parts. So it looks like I'm missing it, too. 55 SPLITY has a ragtop mechanism listed in the classifieds, and it looks like it has that piece. Maybe try PMing him to get the dimensions?
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

Understandably, he won't part it out. I'll PM him and, hopefully, he will have the time to send me the dimensions.

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

GREAT NEWS!

Thanks to 1962silverbullet, I have just ordered a newly fabricated piece from Sewfine (he referred me to them).

This piece can be found on Page 22 of their bug catalog, and sells for $70, including mounting clips, plus shipping.

http://www.sewfineproducts.com/catalogs/

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

Thom, thanks for the info!
One favor . . . please check this video and take a look at 1:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73zeOw86VaM
Chris is holding the plastic strip (mine is fiberboard) . . . the metal strip from Sewfine would on the other side of that plastic strip and is "sandwiched" under the edge of the clip, correct?
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:
GREAT NEWS!

Thanks to 1962silverbullet, I have just ordered a newly fabricated piece from Sewfine (he referred me to them).

This piece can be found on Page 22 of their bug catalog, and sells for $70, including mounting clips, plus shipping.

http://www.sewfineproducts.com/catalogs/

Best,

Thom

Even though it's available from Sewfine, I'd still be interested in the dimensions, but moreso in how rigid it is. For example, if you hold it by one end, does it hold it's shape? Or is it as flexible as something like roof flashing, which can be rolled up? Would you mind posting some information once you receive it? Thanks in advance!
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

Will do. They told me that they used an original for the dimensions and experimented with several types of metal stock to get it right. So, am expecting "perfection" of sorts...

Thom

Still looking for:
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

Well, well, well...

Today, I received my much-anticipated "rear ragtop metal bar" from Sewfine (see previous post and link to their catalog page), for which I'd previously contacted around 30 Sambanistas and other folks to either part out, send me measurements, or let me come buy to make measurements, to no avail.

First, in all my doings with various folks and looking at numerous photos of the part I've been searching for, it should be cut to a length that extends a little bit to either side of the end holes, with properly-sized holes drilled at both ends (see photo in my July 14, 2016 post above for where it goes) (see photo in my July 15, 2016 post above for an actual OG part).

So, I see the delivered box and it's clearly not large enough for a piece that would be cut to fit the need. I open the box and I pull out a simple piece of coiled flat metal of what I assume is the correct width, but it has no holes and is WAY TOO LONG for what Sewfine "manufactured" the piece for. Oh, and I got some door panel clips, which are not correct, according to my headliner guy who used to do concours-level interiors, including headliners, who told me from memory that I was missing this piece.

Wolfsburg West sells the correct clips (I will edit with Part No. later today)

All this for $70 (+tax/shipping)!

To put this into perspective and explain my EXTREME DISAPPOINTMENT in Sewfine regarding this rip-off:

1) I could've gone to Lowe's or another similar hardware store and bought a whole sheet of this metal, cut to size, drill holes, and de-burr for about $15 or so.

2) Catalog photo of the piece I bought shows one end terminating short of the width of the headliner material, which in legal circles would imply the same for the other end, which the piece I received does not do, as previously mentioned above.

3) Instead, for $70+, I STILL get to cut to size, drill holes, and de-burr - for an additional $55 that I could've PAID someone else to fabricate.

4) The Sewfine counter-man never mentioned that I would still need to work on the piece after receiving it. The catalog omits this important information as well. Lying by omission is still lying...

YAYYYY!

Considering the consistent dimensions of the OG parts through the years that they were used and Sewfine's $70 price, I expected a professionally fabricated piece of metal all ready for installation.

Am I being unreasonable?

I will call Sewfine tomorrow and ask them if they are serious about charging this much money for a strip of metal that still needs to be cut/drilled/de-burred and door clips.

I will also post a photo of what I received.

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

SOOOOO . . . should I just get a piece of steel banding strap, cut it to length, and drill a hole in each end?

Wow Thom! . . . sucks 'bout yer $70!!!
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

First off, and to be fair, I talked to the Sewfine counter guy via phone this AM and he says they'll reimburse my purchase. He then added return shipping when I explained that this is not a case of me changing my mind, but that they sold me something I could do with ~$55 less investment by doing it myself. ALL WITH NO ATTITUDE ON SEWFINE'S PART, so I'm good with that.

As of this posting time, still waiting on Sewfine to email return shipping info to me. Hope they don't forget...

As I mentioned previously, I am posting the photos of what Sewfine sent me:

This photo shows the RHS end of metal bar inserted onto top of where it goes, lined up with where it would go underneath, just past RHS-most matching hole:

This photo shows overhang on LHS side of car, showing that a lot needs to be cut back to extend just past LHS-most matching hole. Note no holes at either end as shown in previous post of OG metal bar (see photo in my July 15, 2016 post above for an actual OG part):

This photo shows that the metal bar does appear to be the correct width:

These are the type of clips that Sewfine sent with the metal bar:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N143893

HOWEVER, as confirmed in person by my concours-headliner guy, these are the correct clips to install the metal bar, etc.:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N143891

I plan to go to Lowe's and buy a sheet of ~18-gauge stainless steel metal sheetstock and fabricate one myself, using my ragtop as some sort of template.

After I do that in the next week or two, I will post the length/width/hole diameters/center-hole spacing/final metal gauge that I will have used for the fabrication for the next person...

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
I just replaced the cover on my '62 and I do not recall seeing that second strip shown in the photo.
My best guess for that piece is that it will hold the headliner tight at the forward rollers on the rear bow assembly . . . look at the piece where those rollers are, and you will see where a (one on each side) chrome, sheet-metal screw goes.
That would make it the center headliner bow for the sunroof portion of the headliner.

The section of headliner under the sunroof is pulled back and glued over the "round holes".
The rear portion of the headliner has a strip of cardstock sewn in along the front edge.
Door panel clips are in that strip of cardstock and snap into the "round holes" and trap the sunroof section of headliner.
57Blitz:

Best,

Thom

I came across this picture while doing a search. It is not in the gallery, but it is in this thread. The thread also has a picture of the correct clips.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

Thanks MANNAXMAN for finding/posting that photo! That answers several of my questions perfectly! Cool

I bet there's a BUNCH of folks missing that metal strip AND those straps.
I made the straps . . . now I will make the metal strip.

Thanks again!!
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

MANNAXMAN:

Nice photo! Unfortunately, it shows only the bottom tabs of the OG correct clips. However, I saved your photo to my computer and zoomed in on it, and verified that the tabs are completely flat across their surfaces.

This essentially confirms what my headliner guy said in using the old-style (through 1959) door clips, which have completely flat tabs:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N143891

Instead of the newer-style (1960-on) door clips that Sewfine sends you to use with their metal strip, which have a bump in their tabs:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=N143893

Collectively, we're solving this rare, yet important issue regarding ragtops.

On another note, Sewfine did send the UPS pickup tag email yesterday, which means they will be paying for return shipping as well as refunding my entire purchase (including shipping to me). I also sent the door clip link to them so that they can replace with the correct door clips in future sales. In addition, I advised the counter guy (Logan, very nice person) and the owner in separate phone calls that for $70, it is reasonable for a consumer to expect the correct clips and a professionally fabricated strip of metal that's ready to install without any additional work required by the consumer, OR at least revise catalog to reflect that additional cutting/drilling/de-burring will be required upon receipt (to be fair).

Stay tuned, as I plan to fabricate my own and post the measurements that I will have used in the near future. HOWEVER, the actual test will come when my headliner guy does the installation within the next month or so...

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
MANNAXMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

catahoula lou wrote:
MANNAXMAN:
Nice photo! Unfortunately, it shows only the bottom tabs of the OG correct clips.

I apologize if my post was unclear. I did not mean that the picture I posted showed the correct clips but that there were pictures of the correct clips in the linked thread.
MANNAXMAN wrote:

I came across this picture while doing a search. It is not in the gallery, but it is in this thread. The thread also has a picture of the correct clips.

Here are the pictures of the clips from the thread, which were posted by glutamodo.

catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ragtop rear headliner metal bow dimensions? Reply with quote

MANNAXMAN:

Actually, your post was very clear. I was just adding additional information about the clips, using the bottom surface of the tabs as a clue, and then providing links for the correct clips.

Like I said above, it's really nice that we're collectively solving this issue.

On another note, I might actually get my hands on an OG metal strip, in which I will definitely measure and post the dimensions, along with photos, so others can accurately fabricate one.

One thing that I must add, is that I've emailed upwards of 25+ individuals/clubs, since starting this thread, regarding buying this piece from them. I would say that ~5 of them had ads that showed the piece and were unwilling to part them out from the rest of the ragtop mechanism/ragtop car. This is understandable and I have no quarrel with their decision, as I would've done the same (still had to try, though).

However, I then followed up with an email to those particular individuals, asking them if they would measure their piece and send the measurements to me to fabricate one myself (and ultimately post in this thread). UNFORTUNATELY, none of them could be bothered to help me (and presumably, others) out, which is a disappointment as I would've made time to help a fellow ragtopper out, considering how rare the piece is...

Best,

Thom

Still looking for:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: