Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length)
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Varthog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

Well guys i took picture from a buddy of mine, and i am thinkin of buying custom made rear torsion housing...so i am little confused can someone give me diameters of the tubes (wall thickness and tube diameter). I would be very gratefull :3 Thanks in advance.

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-15665-1175392393_thumb.jpg

The long tube, i know i have variety of torsion bars, but housing diameters are unknown for me since i want to buy or create from scratch.
i hope i dont ask too much.
Justbuggin175
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

who makes them, im interested.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

The stock VW torsion housing varied in diameter over the years. Even the outside diameter of where the center spline section varied in size.
Places such as KarTek, McKenzie's, and other off road shop sell torsion housing in different width from stock to what ever size you want.
Stock torsion housing width from spring plated cover mounting area is 41-1/2in.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

With this style housing the camber is fixed, correct? Any other benefits this way vs stock? Assuming coilover suspension, of course..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

Any input here? Has anyone run a custom rear housing like this? I know dustymojave mentioned that in the past they would build their own trailing arms by setting ride height then running a straight tube through the hubs to keep camber and toe in check.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

For me that stuff might as well be made of unobtainium.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

My train of thought is: I now have a bender, notcher and 220v welder. I’m not impressed with my toe in and camber of my current setup and am considering stretching the car, going with coilovers, raising the roof line... why not build a rear crossmember and custom arms and trans mount?

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

Bringing this back to the top, now that Dusty is back in the comments section! (Glad to see you’re doing alright and just too busy for all our questions!)

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

Sounds like you have all the tools to make a new, longer, wider, taller frame. Surely you have a few things you would like to change. My dash still bugs me. Wifey wamts a windshield.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

I do have the tools, but I’m looking for design pros or cons for the design above mainly.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

The true trailing arm, zero degree pivot offers zero camber change. Which is good in some respects. But OTOH, the camber change provided by the regular VW semi-trailing arm angled pivot design actually provides better cornering. That's why not only VW use it, but so do Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, and many others. The camber change creates a little lateral push as the wheels pass over bumps. But the outboard tire (the one that does most all of the work in cornering) remains flatter to the ground as the car goes around a corner.

Rick Crumb of Crumco prefers the zero degree pivot and builds all of his Baja Bugs that way. I feel there are advantages both ways and see it as a personal preference thing. With shorter travel, the disadvantages of the semi-trailing arm are not so substantial. I feel the zero-degree pivot setup doesn't start breaking even until travel gets beyond around 17-18". With the trailing arms built so camber is at zero at full droop, the disadvantages of angled-pivot arms are minimized.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion Housing Dimensions (diameter, wall thickness, length) Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
The true trailing arm, zero degree pivot offers zero camber change. Which is good in some respects. But OTOH, the camber change provided by the regular VW semi-trailing arm angled pivot design actually provides better cornering. That's why not only VW use it, but so do Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, and many others. The camber change creates a little lateral push as the wheels pass over bumps. But the outboard tire (the one that does most all of the work in cornering) remains flatter to the ground as the car goes around a corner.

Rick Crumb of Crumco prefers the zero degree pivot and builds all of his Baja Bugs that way. I feel there are advantages both ways and see it as a personal preference thing. With shorter travel, the disadvantages of the semi-trailing arm are not so substantial. I feel the zero-degree pivot setup doesn't start breaking even until travel gets beyond around 17-18". With the trailing arms built so camber is at zero at full droop, the disadvantages of angled-pivot arms are minimized.

Thank you for your explanation, this is what I was looking for. It’s a lot to chew on, and I’ll have to see where it gets me.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: