Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tone Down Exhaust Headers
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vilem43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

I have recently purchase a set of Empi exhaust headers with the removable baffles for my Dune Buggy.

I've been told that wrapping the baffles with steel wool would tone down the sound.

So, is this true, and if so do I wrap the entire length of the baffle?

Also, I would appreciate any additional tips on doing this.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

Let me guess.... Dual Cannons?...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

The steel wool will last about an hour.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

Stainless steel pot scrubbies..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

Depends on which ones you bought as far as what you can do. The ones with the really goody looking metal baffles with all the little plates are going to be hard to modify. If you find baffle inserts that can use fiberglass, you can get the glass from bike shops or amazon. Wont last forever, but if your wrap them well, you will get a few month before you need to replace the glass.

If you eventually get tired of it and actually want to car to run well, look into a proper sized U bend or other style header and look into a good muffler. I run a Supertrapp on a 1 3/8" U bend on a mild 1914. Works very well and doesnt make my ears tired.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

If you are talking about duals, you can get used Suzuki Hayabusa mufflers on Ebay with the three bolt flange attached- Cut your muffler off, weld that flange on, and you can run any three-bolt muffler after that.. I think that flange size may be standard with some other exhaust systems. I love the aluminum Hayabusa mufflers, have them on my stock Baja motor and my Suby rail both...
Ravinsomniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

Years ago I had a rail buggy with a tapered cone muffler. I wrapped fiberglass, then steel wool and then even asbestos around the tube inside, but it always fell apart and blew out after a hour or so. I finally ended up putting on a 'tunable' SuperTrapp. It worked great for many years and I could make it louder or quieter by adding or removing plates.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sup-344-1705/overview/
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

These have a great tone, can actually hear the stereo Smile, and they mount to a 3-bolt flange that will let you mount other mufflers if you wanted- Bugpack duals that have had the loud glasspack cut off and a 3-bolt flange welded on- Permanent solution...
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a Thing Dual exhaust on a Buggy? This is the new production version not too expensive.

Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

I miss the sound from the Empi dual cannon exhaust on my last buggy. I know the Meyers Manx Sidewinder on my current rig will help the motor develop more low end power, but it sounds kind of tame. These cars are hot rods, and in my opinion, should sound like one.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
These cars are hot rods, and in my opinion, should sound like one.

This is a "Hot Rod".

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

Glenn, fair point and good example, albeit on the opposite end of the spectrum. Still, a little bit of rumble out of the pipes makes the experience more fun in my mind, and fits the look of these unique little cars. They should hear you coming...

Link
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, a hi-po VW engine can sound great. But dual cannons sound like a "ricer".

Link

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donbarnes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

How can dual cannons sound "ricer", when they were around long before there was any such thing as a ricer?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

donbarnes wrote:
How can dual cannons sound "ricer", when they were around long before there was any such thing as a ricer?

Mine is certainly not "ricer"
My duals (EMPI 3373) sound like a badly tuned Harley running gas with water in it.
They set off car alarms.
They were awful.. but looked great.
Could not get a good tune and they literally choked under load in 3rd and 4th.

There's likely issues in my fuel delivery (Type 3 with dual 32s Solexes.. ) but the 4 into 1 "quiet exhuast" cured many issues.. and now the same tune pulls up a HWY grade in 3rd gear like it has much better than "54 hp"

Bummer.. because I did like the look of the dual exhaust on my buggy.. the 4 into 1 looks MadMax-ish.. but not in a good way.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
Has anyone tried a Thing Dual exhaust on a Buggy? This is the new production version not too expensive.

Tony

I mentioned that idea once before, and didn't get much response either. That may be a future change I try. The mufflers even have the correct provisions for carb heat. I would replace the dog-leg ends designed to go through the rear bumper with some strait chrome tips.

Setting off car alarms with dune buggy duels was a lot more humorous when I was in my 20's. Now in my 40's I find the sleeper approach brings a smile to my face. I also don't much like working engine with the hot exhaust pipes between me and the engine.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply EV,
Yeah, I thought for sure the Thing OEM VW duals would be a hit on this thread. I am really thinking about them on my buggy as well as a Thing Oil Bath Air Cleaner if it will fit. I think the Carb also contributes to the excess noise.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nelson845
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

IMO...That green buggy sounds way better than the red beetle.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tone Down Exhaust Headers Reply with quote

nelson845 wrote:
IMO...That green buggy sounds way better than the red beetle.

Thanks Nelson, it sounded even better in person. As for the ricer sound, not even close. There are plenty of fart-can Hondas around here, and a VW flat 4 with dual canon headers sounds nothing like them.

I was running these on the green buggy, with the stock baffles.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D55%2D3708

Nice ceramic coating, and manifold heat flanges kept my 34 Pict happy. My otherwise beautiful Manx Sidewinder has no provisions for carb heat, and the motor does not run well until it's really warmed up. Haven't iced it yet, but it's pretty dry around here.

Here's a quick clip of my current buggy, with an identical stock 1600 DP but with a Manx Sidewinder. You can hardly hear the thing. I think the green buggy sounded a lot better...

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: