Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help!! on a turn signal switch reproduction one 65 VW
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
williet57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Help!! on a turn signal switch reproduction one 65 VW Reply with quote

Need help on a new reproduction turn signal switch I purchased for my 1965 Bug.

I ordered it from SoCal Imports and they are no help. Their picture on the web showed 3 wires for the switch.well it came with 6 wires . The one on my car has 3 wires (blck/green, black/white,and black/green/white wire with blue wire going to indicator light,these wires are attached to the relay) the new switch has a green/blk wire,black/white wire,red/black wire,brown/yellow wire,green/white wire,and a gray wire.

They have no wiring diagram for this and no help. They said that the picure on the web is not necessary the item ordered.I notice a lot of companies do this..

So any help on this problem. Thanks
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help!! on a turn signal switch reproduction one 65 VW Reply with quote

1960-61 used a 6-wire switch with extra contacts. What does yours look like? Does it look like your switch has extra contacts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help!! on a turn signal switch reproduction one 65 VW Reply with quote

It sounds the 1960-1961 switch. It can be used in place of a 3 wire, but a 3 wire cannot be used in place of a 6 wire switch.

You can figure the switch out with a cheap ohm meter.
1. Make sure the switch is in the center position and measure the ohms between the different wires until you find the 3 that are connected to each other and the 3 that are not connected to any other wire.
2. Seperate the two groups of wires. The connected ones are the brake light input, the left rear, and the right rear wires. You won't need to use any of them in a 3 wire application.
3. Now looking at the 3 wires you need push the switch into the right turn position and find the 2 wires that are connected. Put a temporary R (right) mark on them.
4. Again looking at the 3 wires you need, push the switch into the left turn position and find the 2 wires that connected. Put a temporary L mark on them.
5. The wire marked both L and R is the wire that goes to the flasher can. The other wires are left and right, for both front and rear. VW used a pair of 3 terminal insulated male terminal blocks to split them to the front and rear wires. With any luck you will find them still attached tothe wiring.
6. After pushing the wires through the grommet and into the trunk you need to insulate the 3 wires you are not using from each other and from any ground contact. Some electrical tape or heat shrink tubing can do the job.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help!! on a turn signal switch reproduction one 65 VW Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
It sounds the 1960-1961 switch. It can be used in place of a 3 wire, but a 3 wire cannot be used in place of a 6 wire switch.

Eh..

A 6 wire switch can be used as a 3 wire by using the input and front circuits only for both front and rear .
A 3 wire switch can be made to work as a 6 wire with added components. (converter module or relays)

Agreed.. it does seem like you bought a 6 wire switch.. or they sent you the 60-61 version they sell.

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/aft...ly-p-14305

For a 65 (3 wire )

Green/white input from the relay
Black/white as left turn
Black/green as right turn

Insulate or omit wires not used.

Or send it back and get the right one..... Laughing
(Unless you are converting to snow flakes or something Kustom)..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williet57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help!! on a turn signal switch reproduction one 65 VW Reply with quote

Thanks guys on this switch switch problem?This place has been a big help on some things.The company said this was a universal switch?It works thou. Think I will stick to WW and other places that I see mentioned on this board
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: