Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

If you already ran a bunch of oil through it I would use whatever oil you are going to use normally and just change it again after 50-100 miles or whenever it looks dirty again.

I have done this several times with random used engines I bought and installed and never had any problems.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Can you even get any non-detergent oil that's rated better than SA? I've not seen any that wasn't just plain mineral oil (which lack any kind of additive, which means no zddp) in years.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

This may be covered already, but with 200 pages, I don't have the stomach to check it thoroughly...

In California, Valvoline VR1 30wt Racing Oil is becoming scarce. At least the old formula is. Many shops say "NLA" and some have stashes they are selling. One has a "new formula" that has a sticker on it. The formulation has changed, but nobody can say just what changed.

Anyone know?

The new sticker says:
EXCEEDS API SERVICE SL
HIGH ZINC

It covers the bottle where it used to say:
EXCEEDS API SERVICE SG/CD
And All Preceding API Gasoline Categories
Exceeds engine protection requirements for API Services SN/SM/SL

Very confusing! Dang Commufornians.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

In California, Valvoline VR1 30wt Racing Oil is becoming scarce. At least the old formula is.

Funny, I was in my local Napa store in Phoenix a week ago looking for 10-30 VR1. The guy smiled and said they are out. Folks from California have been stopping in the Phoenix stores on their way back to Cali and buying it up.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Yeah it's hard to find now. I guess it's our own fault for popularizing it. Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

This was posted a couple of pages back by Lingwendil. Look for a post by Steven 67GT about 1/4 way down the page:

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3222905

It sounds like Valvoline is just going to relabel their VR-1 oil to satisfy the the government in CA, getting rid of the obsolete specifications previously mentioned on their bottles. Don't know if they are actually reformulating it any or not.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

How's the Delo 10/30 XLE? I just saw some at "the Wal-Mart" and figured it might be better than the 15/40 LE in fair weather. It seems to be a synthetic?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

You do realize there is only a labeling issue and there are absolutely no plans to reformulate VR-1, right? (This per Valvoline response, widely reposted, hell, it's in the post just above yours)

There are VR-1 grades that are API SN and have 1475 ppm zinc.
Rotella T6 is right about there as well, also SN.

ZDDP isn't going away, and believe it or not, there is (probably) no conspiracy by any secret society involved.

No Heavy Duty labeled or any 40wt or greater oil needs to be 800ppm zinc to be API SN in any case (despite Castrol doing so on GTX) , but that may not truly be the real problem, if you actually read the study I kinked to recently, low ZDDP may be a non-issue already.
There appear to be better substitutes, allowing reduced zddp.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Ok the Bus (type 1 engine) is broken-in good with almost 15000 miles on it so I purchased some mobil 1 (full synthetic) 0W-40 (for European cars) (Audi's VW's & Porsche's etc...) oil today. Switching from Castrol GTX-5W-30.
The Mobil 1 Specs Pdf file. Says: it's 1100 ppm on Zinc, That should be enough right?
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Ok the Bus (type 1 engine) is broken-in good with almost 15000 miles on it so I purchased some mobil 1 (full synthetic) 0W-40 (for European cars) (Audi's VW's & Porsche's etc...) oil today. Switching from Castrol GTX-5W-30.
The Mobil 1 Specs Pdf file. Says: it's 1100 ppm on Zinc, That should be enough right?

I only know by phosphorus. A rule of thumb I read was don't go lower than 800ppm phosphorus with a stock engine with flat tappets. I'd suspect 1,100 ppm zinc to be about right or more than enough.
McGuirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Quote:
This was posted a couple of pages back by Lingwendil. Look for a post by Steven 67GT about 1/4 way down the page:

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3222905

Boy, was that a hilarious thread! Everyone flying off the handle about the nanny state and now they're going to ban soda and the poor guy had to post three or four times that Valvoline just had to change the label before everyone calmed down.
StimpsonJC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wow, what a read. That took the better part of a week. Thank You all who put their thoughts, experience, and facts out there for all to see. I still have MUCH learning to do!! Very Happy
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

What's easier to clean off of a black asphalt driveway?

=)

Enquiring minds want to know.
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Conventional oil is a hell of a lot easier to clean up off the driveway then synthetic oil is.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

fix the drips!!!! or use a diaper Shocked I dont have an issue...unless I change the oil in the wifes suv then there is an issue with oil spots.....& mess. Wink
on another note I noticed that the quakerstate deffy oil Ive been using for a few years nolonger says fartified with zinc on the front.....I didnt have my glasses so i couldent read the back to see if it still does or not. Ive been using it mixed with full synthetic. I hope it still doesas the cam isant the only part that bennifits from a little sink in the earl.....
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Try cleaning used diesel engine oil off the pavement.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Did an oil change with this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then did a 1500 mile trip up highway 1 and 101 doing some very "spirited" driving. Then from Portland to Sacramento down I5 cruising at about 4k rpm the whole way.

Oil temps: 200 - 220
Oil PSI: 40 - 45 @ 4k rpm
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

You know, I start reading 10 or 15 pages of this, and I just shake my head. I've been troubleshooting an overheating issue, and have been reading a lot on The Samba. Lots of good info. However, The last few days, in the overheating topics, over and over people say NOT to use synthetic oil in a VW engine because it doesn't transfer heat well enough to protect the heads. Seems like this post mostly recommends synthetic! Seems like after 201 pages, something could be agreed on!!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Well yes, there is different oil for different purposes.

I have not come across a case in which I'd consider using different oil to help the heads cool but I'm sure that it could happen.
I have my doubts that you have such a case.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

planenut wrote:
You know, I start reading 10 or 15 pages of this, and I just shake my head. I've been troubleshooting an overheating issue, and have been reading a lot on The Samba. Lots of good info. However, The last few days, in the overheating topics, over and over people say NOT to use synthetic oil in a VW engine because it doesn't transfer heat well enough to protect the heads. Seems like this post mostly recommends synthetic! Seems like after 201 pages, something could be agreed on!!

Which engine would you expect to last longer? The head in the top picture was on an engine used in a bus which was filled with synthetic oil for the last 15 years +/-, while the bottom picture is of an identical head which was run in a Type 4 car running dino oil. I suspect the mileage on the two heads is similar.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 201 of 235

Jump to: