Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
21-window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1949909

Apparently this is being run as a silent auction.

I sure hope the seller gives Everett a HANDSOME commission
on whatever he gets over his asking price... Mad
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

21-window wrote:

Damn... He finally texted me back and it was "send me an email for details."

I suppose it was too good to be true to hope that it was actually 5k, and that no one had actually purchased it yet. Sad

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

DwarfVader wrote:
21-window wrote:

Damn... He finally texted me back and it was "send me an email for details."

I suppose it was too good to be true to hope that it was actually 5k, and that no one had actually purchased it yet. Sad

I emailed him about the price being not accurate.
He did not tell me it wasn't $5000 but did say he would update the ad later.
He also said people are offering him more, sight unseen.
He told me he is asking for people's emails to send them more information and photos.
A few people are not acting nice - I'm guessing they are SOL now since 40+ people have emailed him.
Tip: Don't be a dick if something is posted for a good price if you want to actually buy it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I emailed him about the price being not accurate.
He did not tell me it wasn't $5000 but did say he would update the ad later.
He also said people are offering him more, sight unseen.
He told me he is asking for people's emails to send them more information and photos.
A few people are not acting nice - I'm guessing they are SOL now since 40+ people have emailed him.
Tip: Don't be a dick if something is posted for a good price if you want to actually buy it.

oh I sent him an email to be sure! as soon as I got the text from him actually... I don't think I was a dick, or at the very least I hope he did take my inquary that way.

I got this txt:
Quote:
I am contacting you because of your interest in my 1991 Westy Van. Please send me an email address so I can forward an update with photos and descriptors answering a number of questions raised. Send your email address to: [email protected]

This was my email response:
Quote:

I suppose my biggest question is; is it running, and do you think it would it survive a road trip to Montana?

I can say this much, I am VERY VERY interested in it! Very Happy

-Sxxx Wxxxxxx
(xxx-xxx-xxxx)
[email protected]

I have not heard back. (obviously I've redacted the personal info of names emails for this thread.)

To be honest, not getting anything back made me think it was an either too good to be true scam or it was gone before my text left my phone... *shrug* it was worth trying.

Again,I hope the owner doesn't count me among the ones who were less than adult about their messages... Sad currently selling a vehicle myself and have had the same sort of messages, and that business is less than fun. Sad (thank sweet crap for Google Voice, lest I have to use my real phone number for CL posting. Exclamation )

And despite the good deal that the original ad was, if it's in the condition it seems to be in, I hope the PO gets what he deserves for it... which I think the majority around here would agree is more than 5k.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

What you described doesn't sound rude.
To be honest I take those things with a grain of salt, you never know how people take things, especially when it's emails or texts.

Apart from what I said above, thank to the guy who reported it as a possible scam ad as they were concerned about the price and the "strange" reply.
I appreciate any reports of possible scams so I can check them out.

I see he changed the ad to $5000 or best offer now.
This may still be confusing if he means $5000 or more as most people consider or best offer to be $5000 or less IMHO
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Yeah, caught his change... agreed that's a bit confusing.

OBO to me always meant; "look, I'm setting my starting price at X, negotiate with me using that as a starting point of what I want."

Missed out on another one in Ohio tonight, it went quick...

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Hey dwarf vader, get it already!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1950712

Put a top on it, call it done, sheesh
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Hey dwarf vader, get it already!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1950712

Put a top on it, call it done, sheesh

Ha! I only barely have the financial acumen enough to know that I can barely afford a westy as it is... and even that is a stretch.

owning a syncro while definitely something I have had good dreams of, is also something I need to realistically stay very far from... the upgrade/maint costs of owning a syncro vs owning a 2WD is the price of a decent aircooled in today's market... and I can barely afford one of those.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Here ya go, DwarfVader:

http://waterloo.craigslist.org/cto/5678568062.html

Go for this one or something like it soon, or I'll start calling you Troll Vader
dustinwor
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

35k Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1952731
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

If you thought split paint on a bay was bad:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1707439
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
If you thought split paint on a bay was bad:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1707439
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The mention of Tassi's Shocked is a deal killer if I ever heard of one. Rolling Eyes
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

RCB wrote:

The mention of Tassi's Shocked is a deal killer if I ever heard of one. Rolling Eyes

Forgive the ignorance... why?

RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

DwarfVader wrote:
RCB wrote:

Forgive the ignorance... why?

Search and yee shall find. Yelp, Google, Samba etc.... Wink
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Here ya go, DwarfVader:

Go for this one or something like it soon, or I'll start calling you Troll Vader

That shown location is 1 mile from me, if anyone needs local eyes.
Seems I have seen it before, but not driving recently.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

dustinwor wrote:
35k Shocked

Well, I've owned about 12, I think. I know what they are worth as well.
The best air cooled 82 Westy in the world is not worth $15k.
The bubble has burst.
Air cooled Vanagons are just not very reliable or repairable.
The later engines are much better. I have a 1991 that has been in 38 states, 2 provinces. Half those states on the current set of tires, all since I put head gaskets and rebuilt the 4 speed transaxle in 2001. (Not without problems, mind you)
But an 82? Most likely, a normal buyer would not get 3 years use from it without major grief.
Al
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Here ya go, DwarfVader:

You'll start calling me a troll if I don't buy a rust bucket of a westy?!? That doesn't seem very Samba-like, in fact I'm personally surprised to see such a comment from an individual like yourself... I mean do you honestly think buying that vehicle is good advice to anyone who has never owned one of these before and has no ability/tools/space to affect any sort of body repairs that vehicle clearly needs? Come on, that's just bad advice. Wink

Hell the owners aren't even trying to hide it, which good on them, many are not nearly as honest about it.

Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
dustinwor wrote:
35k Shocked

Well, I've owned about 12, I think. I know what they are worth as well.
The best air cooled 82 Westy in the world is not worth $15k.
The bubble has burst.
Air cooled Vanagons are just not very reliable or repairable.
The later engines are much better. I have a 1991 that has been in 38 states, 2 provinces. Half those states on the current set of tires, all since I put head gaskets and rebuilt the 4 speed transaxle in 2001. (Not without problems, mind you)
But an 82? Most likely, a normal buyer would not get 3 years use from it without major grief.
Al

The value of any collectible item has nothing to do with reliability and changes from day to day depending on how many people want that item and how many are available.
If someone showed up with a zero mile 82 that had been owned by the CEO and never even been fueled up, it would fetch more than 15k.
And ten years from now?
Who knows?
Just because we as enthusiasts have loved and taken care of these vehicles for all these years does not mean we get a say in setting the price any more than the creators of a hit Broadway play do.

The market and only the market sets the price.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Probably the best aircooled Vanagon out there and they want 21,000Euro. Double slider as well, but no Westy. Too bad it's not an auction where we can see if it beats the 15k mark.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=...eNumber=23
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
Probably the best aircooled Vanagon out there and they want 21,000Euro. Double slider as well, but no Westy. Too bad it's not an auction where we can see if it beats the 15k mark.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=...eNumber=23

You are right- that one sparkles. BUT it's a double door, 9 sitzter. A semi commercial, mini bus type vehicle, made to carry 8 passengers someplace and get them in and out quickly. Like a school, or church or workplace.
For sale in Dortmund. Same little town where is located Jan Fatthauer's company, 9FF. About the fastest 911 based super tuner. 257mph.
Al
Vanagons:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Page 79 of 137

Jump to: